• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

2022 CPC Leadership Discussion: Et tu Redeux

Leadership by example.

Poilievre demonstrating to his candidates how to handle media relations.

View attachment 83091
Maybe this is an unpopular opinion around here, but I don’t think a leader (any leader) limiting interviews/reporters and giving snarky answers is going to go too well once they become PM.

As opposed to the “media friendly, answer every question fulsomely, juggernaut of a Prime Minister” we currently have?
I would trust Poilievre more if he wore just a dress shirt, and engaged the reporters with his sleeves ‘Rouleau’d’ up, like honest, genuine politicians do… 👔

Personally I'm getting tired of Canadian politicians who when the question is asked which of them is the biggest asshole.
They all tend instead of denying the assertion invariably answer, "Hold my beer !"

Personally I'm getting tired of Canadian politicians who when the question is asked which of them is the biggest asshole.
They all tend instead of denying the assertion invariably answer, "Hold my beer !"
I am sick of it, too. Answer the f’ing question already.

But, if we are going to hold the leader of the official opposition to a question answering standard, let’s hold the PM to the same standard, too.

If we live in an adversarial system why should we be surprised if people fight back? Why is civility only demanded of one side?

Maybe this is an unpopular opinion around here, but I don’t think a leader (any leader) limiting interviews/reporters and giving snarky answers is going to go too well once they become PM.
Agreed.

I contrast PP to Danielle Smith.

For all of her reasons to be disliked by some (I would include myself in that to a degree), she is a free speech absolutist. This also means she isn’t afraid to meet with all sorts of media left or right etc to get the word out. Even if it means media that might not be friendly. And I think she is a true believer of freedom of the press which also means the freedom to question and confront political power regardless of the spectrum.

She, on that front at least, I will concede is not a hypocrite.

Its interesting how perception works.

I will assume you found him snarky in that interview. I found it refreshing to see someone pushing back on vague and loaded questions. I suppose that's where our biases come into play.

I'm not sure the Canadian press is prepared for a PM that will hold them accountable for their questions like PP seems to be.

If you watch the entire clip they were having a normal discussion for a few minutes before the “journalist” starts asking gotcha questions. “Some people are comparing you to trump.” He can’t even look PP in the eye.
…at least say something like (if true…), “Recent polls from Nanos and Leger show that many Canadians are concerned that your leadership style is similar to Trump. What do you say to them?”

In that hypothetical question, the reporter bases their question on verifiable fact, not a slanted query that while sounding legitimate, has no basis.

The irony is that current polls have, for some time now, shown the Canadian electorate’s preference for a new PM…and Poilievre is rated significantly higher than Trudeau….facts-wise.

Responsible journalists should be able to base their challenge questions in at least moderately justifiable facts as doing so gives credence to the process.

The recent (several weeks ago) interview of Justin Trudeau by Mercedes Stephenson was a good example of a facts (eg. polls-related) line of questioning, where she was polite and respectful to the PM, but she framed her questions against a verifiable fact set.

If a boss or subordinate came to you and said "experts" say you are full of shidt, what would you say?

PBO states Pharmacare would be $11 Billion the first year. Also compares that expenditure with DND's budget.

PBO states Pharmacare would be $11 Billion the first year ...
Yup - from the attached from October of last year ....
Screenshot 2024-02-14 103953.jpg
But hey, Team Orange's saying "we're not going to play anymore if ..." :)

Attachments

• RP-2324-016-S--cost-estimate-single-payer-universal-drug-plan--estimation-couts-un-regime-assu...pdf
    2.6 MB · Views: 1
If a boss or subordinate came to you and said "experts" say you are full of shidt, what would you say?
Tell the "experts" to stick it where the sun don't shine. Where the so called "experts" heads usually are.

I for one am tired of listening to "experts" who have no real world experience.

ADDING: Just because you are a "journalist" that doesn't give you a free pass. Journalists, reporters et al need to be called out when they are off base.

Last edited:
Its interesting how perception works.

I will assume you found him snarky in that interview. I found it refreshing to see someone pushing back on vague and loaded questions. I suppose that's where our biases come into play.

I'm not sure the Canadian press is prepared for a PM that will hold them accountable for their questions like PP seems to be.
I’m of two minds of this episode. Yeah, this reporter was completely off side with his loaded questions and then looked incredibly bad when he was challenged on the basic premises of his attempted “gotcha” questions. I mean, if you’re going to ask the Leader of His Majesty’s Loyal Opposition those kind of questions, you better be ready to explain when challenged.

At the same time, this appeared to be a case of “punching down”. I mean, this guy was obviously no Woodward or Bernstein, or even a Bob Fife. From what I’ve heard, he was the sole overworked reporter, and possibly editor, of some tiny news outlet no one outside the Okanagan has ever heard of. Still doesn’t excuse those stupid questions and “deer-in-the-headlights” reaction to some rightful pushback. But I don’t think Pierre looked heroic either.

No one covered themselves in glory in this episode.

It’s not what I would say, but how I would say it. That’s why I don’t agree with PP’s interview/questioning methods.

You can tell someone to F off so diplomatically that they think it’s a compliment, at first.

Last edited:
Back