• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

17 Wing Question

FlightSergeantRose

Reaction score
I am going to be doing my EMECOM course this July in Winnipeg. I have been told I will be staying at the 17 Wing facilities. I was just wondering if someone who's stayed there can tell me a little bit about it. I think its 2 people per room. Would I be able to bring my computer with me? We get off at about 1630, plus weekends off, so I will have a lot of time to kill. Others that have taken it have said its quite an easy course. Do they have a good gym there? Anything you can tell me about it would be appreaciated. Thanks.

I did my trades training in Winnipeg, and all of the barracks I have stayed in are single rooms(with maid service!). They all had cable TV, and some of the rooms have bar fridges in them as well. You should have no trouble with a computer in your room(I brought mine along for my 5s), but there where no internet connections in the rooms I stayed in.

The gym is just outside the gates of the base, and though relatively small is nice. Polo Park mall is just up Ness street, and the bus runs fairly often and was hardly ever late when I was taking it. Other than that, the Tijuana Yacht Club is a good bar, and everybody has to visit the Palomino at least once while on course in Winnipeg.

The Palomino... Isn't that that old bar on Portage? that looks like vintage 70's?

Are there locks on the doors? My buddy was in  Borden and had the local phone company setup dsl for him. I was thinking of doing the same, but Im only there 1 month so I doubt I'll bother. I am planning on driving there as well. I would think that theres parking spaces.

i lived in the pmqs there for 10 years (88-98), and although i was never in them i know the barracks are nicknamed "the hotel" which is a good sign haha  ;).  The gym and pool were always really nice and there was a theatre in the same building, i think it still is.  I believe they closed "The Hurc" which was the bar attached to the gym and pool.  It's a pretty nice place and the base is fairly close to clubs and the mall, and the MASSIVE theatre by polo park.  Have fun there and watch out for the wacko drivers!

Ryan 

Back