• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

1/35 MEWT Bison

Great job, its giving me chills looking at it. I have pictures from overseas that almost look exactly like that.

Thanks, I'm trying. Tonight turned into a bit of a more involved session than what I sat down to do;

Mast and water jerry's painted, another lighter wash of dust/sand over the hull and a good coating of "mud" on the undercarriage;

8D3Yn.jpg

ARRYN.jpg

And a shot of one of my WIP crewmen, just need to apply the "CADPAT" effect to the BDU's;

EsJiB.jpg

In this shot you can also see the mud on the undercarriage and wheels; mixed a water based paint with granulated brown sugar to make it lump.

To Do List;

Finish AoA plugs;
Front lights / rearview mirror assemblies;
Fabricate C6 mount w/ LMG and ammo can;
Cam pole/tarp "mod hotel" draped off back of boat; and
Misc wiring and small hull details.

Finished the cam pole / tarp tentage / workspace off the rear, as well as the TCCCS radio antenna and some paint work on the generator plus another dirt wash;

7SaZk.jpg

Started on the display base, glue is still a little wet between the stones so it's white for the moment.

So starting to get down into the weeds now, I needed a 1:35 scale plastic water bottle for the TCCCS antenna but didn't want to pay $10 for one out of an accessories kit. Picked up some clear plastic rod stock and chucked it up in the drill press, then used various files to lathe it down to shape;

boKNZ.jpg

Here it be painted up and installed on the antenna;

6D0BR.jpg

"Tagging" or naming our Bison fleet is a bit of a tradition, this boat is henceforth named "Trogdor".

KvmYi.jpg

Working on the barracuda camouflage netting to go over the tarp, hoping to have it finished tonight.

The weathering has thankfully gone pretty well; thankfully there are plenty of tutorials out there to follow.

Finished the "barracuda" type came net over the tarp;

CHDSM.jpg

It's vinyl sheet that was cut with an automated plotter, then stretched open to make it 3D. Light dust brown on top, medium brown on the underside. It's just draped for now as I wanted to get a pic up, the intent is to have both the net and the tarp secured tight to the base with stakes to stretch it tight.

Enlighten me if you would, what's the story behind the water bottle of the antenna?

cupper said:
Enlighten me if you would, what's the story behind the water bottle of the antenna?

Chem lights, generally IR for night ops.

Turned out ace! I'm intrigued by the cuda cam net process, its one of the best looking nets if seen, if only slightly over-scaled.

Looking at your WIP photo...is that red tube some of the old Testors tube glue? I haven't seen that stuff since 1975! Please don't tell me you used that glue for this build  :)

Yeah it is, I was using it to attach the plasticard add on armour panels to the resin upper hull, as the "Tamiya Thin Cement" (the liquid in a glass bottle w/ a brush) wasn't doing it. Unfortunately it caused the panels to warp and pop off, so I had to remake some and ended up just using some Loctite brand gelled superglue, works like a charm.

I havn't done any scale modelling since I was knee-high to a grasshopper, so I've made some bad purchases here, learned from my mistakes there etc... It's all good fun though.

well, you can't do much better than tamiya extra-thin glue for styrene, its really good stuff. I like the loctite CA too, also, I found a bottle of "great planes" CA, and it has lasted a couple years...usually they dry out on me after a few months. Haven't been able to find it in Ottawa though.

http://www.greatplanes.com/faq/adhesives.html

Got the AoA plugs all done, just have to sand them to round off the sharp edges... Also test mounted the C6 on the crew commanders hatch.

yBSUW.jpg

hxf7C.jpg

I need to run some fuel hoses between the hull and the generator, open to ideas material wise for the hoses.

Also I saw this and thought "omfg must order!"

DFvRv.jpg

Much more accurate reflection of a crew member in the field. ;)

Kokanee said:
I need to run some fuel hoses between the hull and the generator, open to ideas material wise for the hoses.

I was repairing a Turtle Beach headphone and in the wiring I noticed small black "hoses". It is filler they use in cable to get them round and very flexible, so maybe you have some old mouse wire or the computer speaker interconnection wire... not all have filler that is rubber though.

ME

Djiti production has some other nice stuff. You need to give that figure's hat the CADPAT "Roll Up The Rim to win!" Timho's treatment!

I want to get a set of the ratcheting tie-down straps (35028).
Etiquette%25252525252525252525252520proto%25252525252525252525252520bli31%25252525252525252525252520reference%2525252525252525252525252035028.jpg

Back