• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Queen Elizabeth II, 1926-2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
Two words to American commentators regarding the legacy of the British Monarchy.

"Manifest Destiny"

Your nation has nothing to be proud of regarding colonial legacies, slavery and genocide - re: Native Americans, West African Slave Trade, the Philippines and Central America.
Not to be political, but these are the woke types who will find a way to spin anything. This is kind of sad, considering that they are talking about one of the greatest people of the 20th, and likey 21st century. I would put her in a small group of people including Winston Churchill, Billy Graham, Martin Luther King, and a few others.

Not to be political, but these are the woke types who will find a way to spin anything. This is kind of sad, considering that they are talking about one of the greatest people of the 20th, and likey 21st century. I would put her in a small group of people including Winston Churchill, Billy Graham, Martin Luther King, and a few others.
I won't discount their positions, as even HM the King has said there is still a lot to be done to heal the wounds of Colonialism. It's a discussion that needs to be had.

That said:

Her Late Majesty took the throne when the Empire was heaving its last breath. She did more to move the Empire to the Commonwealth with more poise and grace than any of her Prime Ministers. She wielded zero political power in those areas and was still greeted with praise when visiting her former realms.

These folks have an Axe to grind with their governments that have the power to resolve certain issues that are not resolved locally.

For the most part, now is not the time. Her Late Majesty isn't yet buried and there are millions of folks around the Commonwealth that are grieving a life well lived in someone who gained the World's respect in over 70 years of service. Have some decorum and respect.

We ve been sent mourning ribbons as is our new custom- it’s a pin on the uniform rather than a band per say. With instructions on timeline-when it comes down etc
Is it possible to send those instructions to me. We plan on giving our Cadets mourning ribbons in the shape of a loop to wear for Tuesday night. Officers wear mourning bands.

Heritage Canada has released a tasteful Commemorative card and a Commemorative portrait,
"in memory of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II, Queen of Canada."

These PDFs are free for you to download.

Heritage Canada has released a tasteful Commemorative card and a Commemorative portrait,
"in memory of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II, Queen of Canada."

These PDFs are free for you to download.

Who is that old lady in the portrait?

I beg her late Majesty's forgiveness for being cheeky, but even as she aged she was always a very handsome woman.

When looking at the portrait, I couldn't help but notice that the photo credit is given as "PHOTO: CHRIS JACKSON/GETTY IMAGES". My assumption, therefore, would be that Heritage Canada has licensed the image from Getty Images and even if only a nominal amount has paid them a fee. That both surprises and annoys me, as I assumed that there would be official portraits of The Queen already in right of the Canadian Crown such as the one available for download from Heritage Canada that is credited as "OFFICIAL CANADIAN PORTRAIT 2019 | ©ALL RIGHTS RESERVED".
Download Royal Portraits - Canada.ca Surprise, surprise! It's the same.

Who is that old lady in the portrait?

I beg her late Majesty's forgiveness for being cheeky, but even as she aged she was always a very handsome woman.

When looking at the portrait, I couldn't help but notice that the photo credit is given as "PHOTO: CHRIS JACKSON/GETTY IMAGES". My assumption, therefore, would be that Heritage Canada has licensed the image from Getty Images and even if only a nominal amount has paid them a fee. That both surprises and annoys me, as I assumed that there would be official portraits of The Queen already in right of the Canadian Crown such as the one available for download from Heritage Canada that is credited as "OFFICIAL CANADIAN PORTRAIT 2019 | ©ALL RIGHTS RESERVED".
Download Royal Portraits - Canada.ca Surprise, surprise! It's the same.
Not sure how it works but Chris Jackson working for getty images could have been contracted to produce the photo.

Seems like he was a royal photographer under contract hired to take and produce the pic?

I do like the Aussie Army dress uniform.

Supplied by a subsidiary of Logistik Unicorp (they've had a contract for years with Australia and now with NZ). But I liked the Aussie Federation Guard (their ceremonial unit) using FNs (L1A1s) for drill.

But for fancy uniform accessories, the cloak worn by the NZ Chief of Defence Force takes first prize.

NZ defence chief cloak.jpg

Supplied by a subsidiary of Logistik Unicorp (they've had a contract for years with Australia and now with NZ). But I liked the Aussie Federation Guard (their ceremonial unit) using FNs (L1A1s) for drill.

But for fancy uniform accessories, the cloak worn by the NZ Chief of Defence Force takes first prize.

View attachment 73504
Him and the guy on the right. I just assumed it was some kind of cultural acknowledgement.

I'm still a sucker for khaki and oxblood leather.

View attachment 73504
If you are airforce go full airforce. Feathers and all .

Text of a message I sent to my sailors. I'm not much of a wordsmith, but I think I did OK.

Good day Shipmates,

By now you should have learned of the passing of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth the Second, and the Accession of King Charles the Third.

As expected, there are certain procedures to be followed, and many changes to be made.

Before I say a few words with respect to Her Majesty, I would start with some of the direction we have received thus far.

Most importantly, there is an information embargo. This means that there will be no social media posting by CF elements or organizations. If you are approached for a statement by someone who identifies as press, you are required to direct their inquiries to the Public Affairs Officer.

While individuals may post their own social media, it is recommended that they stick to subjects in which they are experts, and that they do not make a connection between their personal views and official policy or statements given by the government or CF. While you are not being told what to say or what not to say specifically, I would ask that you take a moment to consider what you have written prior to making the post.

The Canadian Forces is in a period of official mourning. This will last at least until the funeral of Her Majesty on September 19th. I expect there will be more instruction to follow on this subject. Social events are cancelled, but regular operations continue. At this point in time PS 22 is still happening as planned.

There will be some changes inherent in having a new Commander in Chief. The most immediate change for us, is that we are now His Majesty's Canadian Ship Chippawa. There may be changes with respect to badges and insignia, but these changes will be directed from headquarters. I would ask that you not pay attention to any gossip you hear on this front.

There's not a single person currently in uniform in Canada or in the Commonwealth who did not enrol during Her Majesty's reign. Her Majesty was a constant for us not only in our service lives but in our personal lives. She was the longest reigning British monarch, and the last head of state to have served during the second World War.

On her 21st birthday in 1947, then Princess Elizabeth, went on the radio and made a promise to Britain and its Commonwealth Nations: she pledged that “my whole life, whether it be short or long, will be devoted to your service.” Five years later she was called upon to fulfill that promise. Over 70 years she never wavered. She displayed in equal measure grace, wisdom, and humility.

In his first address to the public, King Charles stated “Queen Elizabeth's life was well lived, a promise with destiny kept, and she is mourned most deeply in her passing. That promise of lifelong service, I renew to you all today.”

Fair winds and following seas Your Majesty, and long live the King.

If you are airforce go full airforce. Feathers and all .
Senior leaders in the NZ military wear the Maori cloaks with ceremonial dress. It's pretty awesome and a great nod to their Indigenous peoples.

I'm personally not a fan of the Aussie Army uniform - aside from the slouch hat, it's too...uh...drab.

Text of a message I sent to my sailors. I'm not much of a wordsmith, but I think I did OK.

Good day Shipmates,

By now you should have learned of the passing of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth the Second, and the Accession of King Charles the Third.

As expected, there are certain procedures to be followed, and many changes to be made.

Before I say a few words with respect to Her Majesty, I would start with some of the direction we have received thus far.

Most importantly, there is an information embargo. This means that there will be no social media posting by CF elements or organizations. If you are approached for a statement by someone who identifies as press, you are required to direct their inquiries to the Public Affairs Officer.

While individuals may post their own social media, it is recommended that they stick to subjects in which they are experts, and that they do not make a connection between their personal views and official policy or statements given by the government or CF. While you are not being told what to say or what not to say specifically, I would ask that you take a moment to consider what you have written prior to making the post.

The Canadian Forces is in a period of official mourning. This will last at least until the funeral of Her Majesty on September 19th. I expect there will be more instruction to follow on this subject. Social events are cancelled, but regular operations continue. At this point in time PS 22 is still happening as planned.

There will be some changes inherent in having a new Commander in Chief. The most immediate change for us, is that we are now His Majesty's Canadian Ship Chippawa. There may be changes with respect to badges and insignia, but these changes will be directed from headquarters. I would ask that you not pay attention to any gossip you hear on this front.

There's not a single person currently in uniform in Canada or in the Commonwealth who did not enrol during Her Majesty's reign. Her Majesty was a constant for us not only in our service lives but in our personal lives. She was the longest reigning British monarch, and the last head of state to have served during the second World War.

On her 21st birthday in 1947, then Princess Elizabeth, went on the radio and made a promise to Britain and its Commonwealth Nations: she pledged that “my whole life, whether it be short or long, will be devoted to your service.” Five years later she was called upon to fulfill that promise. Over 70 years she never wavered. She displayed in equal measure grace, wisdom, and humility.

In his first address to the public, King Charles stated “Queen Elizabeth's life was well lived, a promise with destiny kept, and she is mourned most deeply in her passing. That promise of lifelong service, I renew to you all today.”

Fair winds and following seas Your Majesty, and long live the King.

Day-um

Well Done Reaction GIF

National holiday on the 19th
Looks like my Province is saying “No day off for you, but please take a moment from your busy day at work to think about Her Majesty’s life and service”. So much for getting time off to, I don’t know, watch the funeral or attend a service…

Wankers. :cautious:

Looks like my Province is saying “No day off for you, but please take a moment from your busy day at work to think about Her Majesty’s life and service”. So much for getting time off to, I don’t know, watch the funeral or attend a service…

Wankers. :cautious:
Ontario
Quebec
Sask
Manitoba

All opting out of a national holiday.

Not sure about Alberta yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back