• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Cost of housing in Canada

Threadjack: As I am accustomed to doing, a contrarian take: achieving a lot in a short time looks to me like high efficiency. Since I suppose you might be referring to the net-based salmon fisheries (seiners and gillnetters), the efficiency is even higher taking into account that over the duration of the "season" there are actually only a few "opening" which are often measured in hours. Even the trollers are relatively efficient, albeit for a typically longer season (mid-spring to early fall). (I had fishers in the family - salmon, herring, halibut, packers, and I deckhanded part of 2 seasons on my grandfather's troller.)

As I am accustomed to doing, a pedantic take:

This is a "troller"

1692552541802.png

This is a "trawler"

1692552585472.png

This is a "troller"

View attachment 79566

This is a "trawler"

View attachment 79567

Respectfully ...

A troller fishes by dragging baited lines with hooks attached.
A trawler fishes by dragging a net off the stern
A seiner fishes by finding a school of fish and corraling them in a net with two boats
A gill netter fishes by putting a net in the water and waiting for the fish to swim into the net.

Your "troller" is actually a troller because he drags baited hooks seeking to snag the unwary.
Your "trawler" looks more like a seiner to me but I suspect that @Brad Sallows can be more accurate.

bikes are only good with the proper infrastructure that is separate from cars and even then, in most Canadian cities winter will limit their application. The rest I fully agree with especially the integrated concept.
Very much disagree with this. Southern Ontario climate is such that you can basically bike year round. In Toronto, there are maybe half the days in January when biking wouldn't really be an option.

Most Canadians live in Cities/Towns with Continental Climates. Sure this wouldn't work on the Prairies but in terms of transportation, the Prairies Cities are doing just fine and all have excellent Highway systems.
The cities need to get their planners to stop thinking grandiose and put a little common sense into it. For instance the LRT's are far more elaborate than they need to be. A simple trolley line installed on a hydro right of way or parallel to an existing freight line needn't cost the multi millions that we spend on acquiring land and tearing up roads.
Disagree. There are standards for how large freight right of way needs to be for a reason.

It would be a great day when a tank car full of ammonia derails and hits a trolley full of people because someone thought it would be smart to tuck a passenger line right beside 12000ft freight trains that carry dangerous goods.

Passenger trains need their own right of way with their own trackage. Running on freight trackage is stupid.

The reason this works in Europe is because Freight by rail in Europe is a miniscule business and their rail lines were built around providing passenger service. European freight trains are limited to 2500ft in length by regulation.

We are running 14000ft behemoths here and our rail system is designed around moving commodities. I run about 2 dozen freight trains a day that are between 8000ft and 14000ft in length and weigh upwards of 30,000 tonnes in some cases.
Single and double coaches at the largest require smaller stations and can make shorter turns without the squealing that is plaguing oc transpo. Traffic increases just add another unit. Think smart instead of big

Squealing on the rails is from brake appilcations which creates friction, has nothing really to do with making a turn. Ottawa's LRT program is a textbook example of how not to run a passenger rail service....

Too many stations, they made significant cuts to their bus service which used to be awesome.

It's a textbook example of how not to build a plan a mixed transportation network.

This is a "troller"

1982, me, on my grandfather's salmon troller. Those pulleys you see on the left are part of the gear over which the lines run. Behind the stays on the right you can see the guide for the "deep" line (the one closest to the boat and trolling at the greatest depth); the line itself can be seen immediately left of my head. The actual lures are on short segments of nylon clasped at intervals to the line. No nets involved. Trolling.

To attempt to make this relevant: like the fishing infrastructure, transit and roads need to be reasonably capable of handling the peak load times. Otherwise, housing costs closer in to urban cores are likely to be pushed up by the pressure on people to live closer to work. Allocation of funds to projects by planners based on what kinds of transit they would like to have, or think others should have is ... inefficiency (use of available funds).

z.jpg

Very much disagree with this. Southern Ontario climate is such that you can basically bike year round. In Toronto, there are maybe half the days in January when biking wouldn't really be an option.

Most Canadians live in Cities/Towns with Continental Climates. Sure this wouldn't work on the Prairies but in terms of transportation, the Prairies Cities are doing just fine and all have excellent Highway systems.

There are two places in Canada that can look to Europe for lifestyle models: The lower mainland and the St Lawrence Lowlands. However the Lowlands, to be fair, are still much lower density than most of Europe. It might be more accurate to refer to the lower mainland, the Golden Horseshoe and Montreal.

Those three centres have the necessary density and the appropriate climates to support Dutch style sensibilities. The rest of the country? Not so much.

I wish the residents of those communities well in their endeavours to live like the Dutch. I look forwards to reports of their progress. Just keep their hands out of my pockets when funding their subways and ebikes. I need my cash for my next hybrid pickup truck.

There are two places in Canada that can look to Europe for lifestyle models: The lower mainland and the St Lawrence Lowlands. However the Lowlands, to be fair, are still much lower density than most of Europe. It might be more accurate to refer to the lower mainland, the Golden Horseshoe and Montreal.

Those three centres have the necessary density and the appropriate climates to support Dutch style sensibilities. The rest of the country? Not so much.

I wish the residents of those communities well in their endeavours to live like the Dutch. I look forwards to reports of their progress. Just keep their hands out of my pockets when funding their subways and ebikes. I need my cash for my next hybrid pickup truck.
I agree completely!

Squealing on the rails is from brake appilcations which creates friction, has nothing really to do with making a turn. Ottawa's LRT program is a textbook example of how not to run a passenger rail service....
You mean running Eurospec rolling stock on N.A. spec rails? 😉

#didntneedthataxeltoday

Your 5 foreign examples of cities that have “figured out“ rail transport are all orders of magnitude more densely populated than any Canadian city. I would also wager that there is not a single rail transit system in the world that operates at a profit- they are all taxpayer subsidized. Which is fine: just be sure you understand what trade-offs you are prepared to make for limited tax dollars.
Until the early 60’s most cities the size of Brandon MB and bigger had trolly cars ripping about.

You mean running Eurospec rolling stock on N.A. spec rails? 😉

#didntneedthataxeltoday
PJT-Go-Train-4-scaled-e1688144546594.jpg

Why use stuff that works perfectly well and is made in Canada when you can buy Eurotrash unfit for purpose and also not support Canadian/North American Industry?

😄

Until the early 60’s most cities the size of Brandon MB and bigger had trolly cars ripping about.

Until the 60s ridership was "subsidized" by the lack of motor vehicles.
Trolleys in the 1890s allowed more people to put more distance between them and their hot, dirty, noisy places of work. Just like bicycles.

Very few people wanted to live "on top of the store" unless they had to.

From many mayors to one mayor?

As far as the Amalgamation goes, our little corner of the world was a village, until it was taken over by Toronto in 1967.

Also,

Someone up thread mentioned winter cycling. I'm a confirmed pedestrian. But, I read that in Finland they keep the bike paths clear in winter, and cyclists use them.

Also,

As far as rail service goes, I'm looking forward to the Ontario Northlander running from Union to Cochrane. Don't care about speed, just love riding trains, wherever they are going. Watching the world go by.

Attachments

• swansea-annex-map.jpg
    swansea-annex-map.jpg
    765.4 KB · Views: 3
Until the 60s ridership was "subsidized" by the lack of motor vehicles.
Trolleys in the 1890s allowed more people to put more distance between them and their hot, dirty, noisy places of work. Just like bicycles.

Very few people wanted to live "on top of the store" unless they had to.
More like GM heavily discounted buses to convince cities to buy them. Once the lines were gone no need for the discount anymore.

Someone up thread mentioned winter cycling. I'm a confirmed pedestrian. But, I read that in Finland they keep the bike paths clear in winter, and cyclists use them.
I biked in Regina for an entire winter. The city also keeps the trails clear. You dress warmly and use studded tires. Bobs your uncle.

LILLEY: Poilievre points out Trudeau's housing affordability failure

Brian Lilley - Aug 21, 2023 – The Toronto Sun

When all else fails, Justin Trudeau blames Stephen Harper. That’s what the PM did on Monday when asked about the housing crisis and his recent comments that housing isn’t really his responsibility.

Strange then that Trudeau is holding a cabinet retreat in Charlottetown, P.E.I., focused on the housing crisis. He’s flown in various experts in the field, all closely aligned with the Liberal Party or progressive politics, to brief them on the matter that he recently said wasn’t his job.

“Housing isn’t a primary federal responsibility,” Trudeau said on July 31 at a federal housing announcement in Hamilton.

Perhaps it was lost on Trudeau that he has a federal housing minister, that he’s in charge of the federal housing body known as the Canada Mortgage and Housing Corp. or that his past several budgets have allocated billions to housing. In the middle of a crisis, though, he didn’t want to bear responsibility.

“The point I made was that the previous government has completely walked away from housing,” Trudeau said Monday when asked about his comments.

Interesting that he looked to blame the Harper government, despite the fact that he has been running the federal government for eight years now. The fact is Trudeau has been warned for years that various policies from his rising immigration numbers to his fiscal policies were contributing to the housing crisis.

“Canada has the lowest number of housing units per 1,000 residents of any G7 country. The number of housing units per 1,000 Canadians has been falling since 2016 owing to the sharp rise in population growth,” a report from Scotiabank warned in May 2021.

The Trudeau government took the high number of immigrants that the Harper government had been welcoming and boosted them further. Unfortunately, housing supply didn’t keep pace with the number of newcomers.

This is far from the only problem, but it is an area of federal responsibility that added to the crisis. In fairness, all levels of government deserve blame, including those municipal leaders who are forever giving into NIMBY elements in their communities and rejecting new housing proposals.

There are two other areas where the federal government’s policies have or continue to impact housing. Their fiscal policy and their ongoing efforts to try and stop new developments using environmental impact studies.

On the fiscal policy side, the Trudeau government has ramped up spending, which has made inflation worse than it needs to be. Rather than cutting back spending to curtail inflation, they have let the Bank of Canada handle this issue alone, which has meant ever-increasing interest rates. These increases have made unaffordable housing less affordable because they’ve triggered a dramatic rise in mortgage rates.

On the environmental side, the Trudeau government is currently fighting projects supported by local and provincial governments, like housing in Pickering, northeast of Toronto, by using environmental impact assessments. This is a new tactic; we’ve never seen a federal government try to act like a local planning department before and it is simply getting in the way.

“Vancouver is now the third most unaffordable and Toronto the 10th most unaffordable housing market in the world — worse than New York City, worse than London, England, and worse than Singapore, an island,” Conservative leader Pierre Poilievre noted.

Poilievre has been pointing out lately that Canada has the fewest homes per 1,000 people than any G7 country, while possessing the most land to build on. His point about Singapore being cheaper for housing is more remarkable when you realize that there are about 8,000 people per square kilometre in Singapore, while Canada has four people per square kilometre.

For the price of a home in Toronto, you can buy a castle in Scotland or Sweden — a tragedy that is leaving too many behind and it is all homegrown.

It wasn’t like this when Justin Trudeau took office; it has become like this under his leadership and thanks in part to his policies. Blaming someone who left office eight years ago just doesn’t cut it.

Neither do Trudeau’s empty words.

"Rather than cutting back spending to curtail inflation, they have let the Bank of Canada handle this issue alone, which has meant ever-increasing interest rates."

A reminder for those wondering how the federal government bears responsibility for inflation.

Which might mean something if the 30% increase in federal public service had resulting in a meaningful increase in capacity and productivity.

…but here we are…
PS will be undergoing cuts soon enough. Also exemptions for certain classifications have been implemented because they are choosing to vote with their feet. But I made no mention of Gvt WFH nor did the article. So not sure why you think it might mean something or not.

What I see in that article though, is that housing issues can be solved with a large scale effort from all sectors and levels of government. WFH for certain industries is certainly one of those components to a bigger solution.

Back