• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Welland Canal Force, 1914-1920

Hi Bill, it looks like you are not getting any bites on this subject. Off the top of my head, at the beginning of the War Militia Units supplied troops to guard the Welland Canal as well as other locations. District Orders were issued to Militia Units to provide a guard of X number of men plus an officer to serve for a certain period of time usually not too long two to three weeks if my memory serves me right. District Orders would be a good place to start. Regimental Orders of the 48th Highlanders for the period give the names of the soldiers involved. I don't recall how long this went on but in 1917 Home Defence Battalions were formed and they took over these duties.
I have a feeling that the Lincoln and Welland Regiment was involved in these duties for a longer period of time than the others, maybe you could make arrangements with their museum to examine the Regimental Orders for that period.

Cheers

Art J

Hello Art:--

I should have noted I have quite a bit of info on the WCF, a lot from the regimental museum of the Linc & Welld R. When I was at the National Archives three years ago, I saw the pay records. I hope to go back and construct a cumulative nominal roll (everyone, even if he served for only one day). I have a report which would indicate that the WCF had a strength of about 1,000 thoughout the war. From the look of the pay records, I think that to be true.

"Regimental Orders of the 48th Highlanders for the period give the names of the soldiers involved."

I wouldn't mind photo copies of orders which apply. Of course, I'd pay for them.

"I don't recall how long this went on but in 1917 Home Defence Battalions were formed and they took over these duties."

The reorganization took place in July 1918. The 2nd Battalion of the Canadian Garrison Regiment replaced the WCF, but I think it had detachments elsewhere in Military District #2. When I get to the Archives, I think the District Orders will shed a lot of light on this, as there are a number of entries on the on-line catalogue of the NAC.

There were numerous incidents:-- soldiers shot one man dead, and wounded another on the ice at Fort Erie in Dec 1914; drownings; sentries being shot and wounded; responding to labour unrest amongst workers on the canal; taking part in the rescue of men on the barge which went aground above Niagara Falls; etc.

Over two dozen men died while serving with the WCF, many from disease, but drowning was a common cause, so much so that I believe not many men could swim in 1914.

In any event, thanks for your comments.  :salute:

Bill

Back