• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Torture in Canada!

[Kim Jong-il ]Its Alwick Ballwin[/Kim Jong-il]  ;D

Mind you I almost pissed myself at the "What if You where killed for your Fur" video where a baseball bat weilding goon comes up beats a lady wearing a fur coat to death and then takes the coat...

PETA + Michael Moore = Docudrama.

Take it with a grain of salt as PETA is showing you the worst of the farming industry.  As we know, abuses occur in every industry (and government).

Buy local free range organic meat and poultry if you are really concerned about it and be prepared to pay for it.

Or you could <a href=http://archives.cnn.com/2001/WORLD/europe/07/23/whaling/index.html>eat whales!</a>

Meanwhile, People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA) is controversially planning to dish out whale meat outside the meeting.

The group believes that meat eaters would cause less suffering if they ditched chicken nuggets and haddock fillets in favour of whale meat.

PETA's Vegan Campaign co-ordinator Bruce Friedrich told PA: "We're obviously in favour of saving whales, but if you're not a vegetarian face facts -- you are responsible for far more suffering and deaths than one Japanese or Norwegian whaler.

"Whales enjoy the vast freedom of the sea and the company of their families before they are harpooned and bled to death -- unlike miserable factory-farmed animals.

"For most, their only venture outside the stench-filled factory farms is when they are kicked and prodded on to the lorries that haul them to the slaughterhouses."

These know-it-all trust fund hippies need a serious wake up call, there are a lot worse things that are happening in the world right now than animals getting slaughtered, like the AIDS pandemic and mass poverty in Africa. Here's an article that's also of interest: http://www.thebestpageintheuniverse.net/c.cgi?u=grill

I find it interesting that someone always comes up with the things are worse with people line and why should we be concerned about animals when there's all these humans sufferering poverty and death.  I guess that as long as there's a human suffering somewhere we won't give a shit for animals at all.  Some of the things in the video are absolutely true (as observed by me in a local chicken rendering plant), some are overblown (the castration of the bulls which is certainly done without analgesic and the animals are up and grazing a few minutes later), and others taken out of context (the bolt gun, which,when used properly, is a humane form of euthanasia).  Animal welfare is close to my heart as I see what can be done to them almost every day.  I guess its just where one's priorities lie.

Alec Baldwin stars in "Meet Your Meat".

I was more amused by the blatant self-indulging nature of the movie title.

Bottom line is, they are animals bred for our sustenance. Nothing more nothing less. Don't like it, don't eat it.

When I hunt, I make sure that what I kill dies quickly, not only is it humane, but adrenaline makes meat taste somewhat gamey, so if you can get that lung-heart-lung shot while they are lying down - bonus!

It does'nt bother me that these animals are being killed, it bothers me that they are killed in a method that almost seems to maximise their pain. There is no real excuse for that.

Humans are a horrible species, and it shouldn't just take that video for a person to realize it. We are animals just like all of the ones in the videos and to sustain ourselves its natural to consume them. Although massive corporate farms like those in the video aren't the way it should be done, free range farms, which used to be run by families and provided a basis for our economy to grow on are how it should be. Thats why I don't eat at fast food restaurants or order meat at restaurants I don't know. I'm not a vegetarian, but when I do buy meat or other animal products from the store I make bloody sure its free range cattle or poultry, and thats partly the reason why I eat so many beans on course hahaha. Maybe its not worth the extra 20 cents to most people, but for the peace of mind it gives me and the support to small farms across our country I think it is.

Seamus449 said:
Humans are a horrible species, and it shouldn't just take that video for a person to realize it. We are animals just like all of the ones in the videos and to sustain ourselves its natural to consume them. Although massive corporate farms like those in the video aren't the way it should be done, free range farms, which used to be run by families and provided a basis for our economy to grow on are how it should be. Thats why I don't eat at fast food restaurants or order meat at restaurants I don't know. I'm not a vegetarian, but when I do buy meat or other animal products from the store I make bloody sure its free range cattle or poultry, and thats partly the reason why I eat so many beans on course hahaha. Maybe its not worth the extra 20 cents to most people, but for the peace of mind it gives me and the support to small farms across our country I think it is.

Humans aren't that bad, some of my best friends are human.  ;)

The prevalence of family farms in agriculture has been declining for years and has been doing so for a variety of reasons.  By purchasing organic free range products you are exerting your economic weight as a consumer.  Well done to you for putting your money where your mouth is.

I was a vegetarian for 5 years starting when I was 16 and not for ethical considerations but becuase a girl I was really interested in back when I was 16 was one.  Nothing ever happened her but I stuck with vegetrianism...

Now I eat meat - and veal even though I know its cruel.  I try to buy the organic stuff but as a student I can barely afford meat as it is...

So right now i'm going to go reheat some pasta sauce i made a few nights ago and have myself a very nice pasta dinner.

Seamus449 said:

Its the corporations that run theses factory "farms" with their very poor living conditions, and effort to ship as many animals in one truck as possible, in an effort to save money which is the problem. No self respecting farmer would allow his animals, his profits to be abused.

I have been to an abattoir (sp), and the animals were killed as humanely as possible. Growing up on a farm, I also know animals are not castrated, dehorned etc with anesthesia because as its not  necessary, and expensive. Pain won't kill the animal, but if your careful, a resulting infection will. So we'd rather put money to the antibiotic vs lidocaine.

I know I've said this before, but I think it bears repeating. Many critics of factory farms/CAFOs make a very credible claim that if these outfits were forced to clean up all the damage to the enviroment, groundwater, rivers, etc for which they are responsible, it is very unlikely that they are any more efficient or will be able to provide meat more cheaply than traditional farms.

Back