• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Question of the Hour

Private Reginald Keeping...from burgeo Nfld......but in the Cdn army  at the time amongst the murdered.

Yes they were Russian T-34's. The giveaway is the suspension chassis and track bogies.  They appear to be later model T-34/85's.
Not a bad mock-up, though.  Very convincing until seen in side profile.

What 2 formations (Div or greater)were mentioned in the last communique from the OKH, and on what date was it issued?

Larry Strong said:
What 2 formations (Div or greater)were mentioned in the last communique from the OKH, and on what date was it issued?

The German Army High Command released it's final communique on 9 May 1945:

http://www.jewishvirtuallibrary.org/jsource/ww2/germfinalcomm.html

making specific mention of only the
Wehrmacht as a whole & Seventh Division

It also specifically mentions "the defenders of the Atlantic bases, our forces in Norway and garrisons of the Aegean Islands." Notes that no word had been received from the Army Groups at Loehr, Rendulic and Schoerner.
and all praises all "German soldiers on land, at sea and in the air"

Although not named, reference is also made to German 16th & 18th Armies in Courland (Latvia) and XVII Armeekorps (Breslau/Silesia).

Bang on Armyvern :D I was going by the first 2 paragraphs in which the 7th Div is mentioned in the first,and in the second one the Armies in the Kurland.

This has been quiet for a while so:

Who was the officer of the 95th Rifles responsible for selecting  personnel of that unit from the excess volunteers for the storming of the breaches (forlorn hope) of Badajoz?

To the best of my knowledge, and I am working on confirmation, but the forlorn hope were taken from the South Essex Regiment and that the Sharpe's Rifles part is "artistic licence for the series"

The South Essex Regiment is fictitious, and while Cornwell used them and Captain Richard Sharpe (95th Rifles) to lead the Forlorn Hope at Badajoz in “Sharpes Company” he does admit in the appendix who the real officer was. Don’t have my copy at work, so I’ll have to wait until I get home tonight unless this is already answered before that (I refuse to Google for answers in this quiz).

This answer for this question is not taken from a work of fiction, but from the 1835 writings of the officer of the 95th rifles who had the job.  As a very big clue, the officer held the position of adjutant for his battalion.

redleafjumper said:
This answer for this question is not taken from a work of fiction, but from the 1835 writings of the officer of the 95th rifles who had the job.  As a very big clue, the officer held the position of adjutant for his battalion.

Is is Captain John Kincaid? (aka Sir John Kincaid)

Muffin, it is indeed Captain Sir John Kincaid.  In his book "Random Shots from a Rifleman", he speaks of the difficulty in selecting the members of the forlorn hope from the large number of volunteers eager for honour.  Incidentally, Cornwall's "South Essex Regiment" is a fictitious unit.  Cornwell acknowledges that he purposely did not give the South Essex a number so as not to take from any other British regiment of the line, all of which were numbered.

Who is believed to have been saved from death or capture by the charge of which two cavalry regiments at Villers-en-Cauchies, near Cambrai?

That would be Emperor Francis I of Austria, saved by the charge of General Peter Ott leading a pair of British and Austrian regiments.

I'm afraid I don't know which regiments though.

DG

redleafjumper said:
Muffin, it is indeed Captain Sir John Kincaid.  In his book "Random Shots from a Rifleman", he speaks of the difficulty in selecting the members of the forlorn hope from the large number of volunteers eager for honour.  Incidentally, Cornwall's "South Essex Regiment" is a fictitious unit.  Cornwell acknowledges that he purposely did not give the South Essex a number so as not to take from any other British regiment of the line, all of which were numbered.

Who is believed to have been saved from death or capture by the charge of which two cavalry regiments at Villers-en-Cauchies, near Cambrai?

I believe it was the 15th (King's Royal regiment of Light Dragoons) and the Leopold Hussars - and they were saving His Imperial Majesty Emperor of Germany ... but I am not 100% sure of it.

DGRecce is correct about the person being saved and Muffin is partially correct about the regiments.  The two cavalry units credited were the 15th Light Dragoons and Sentkeresky's Hussars.  Commander of the allies was Lt. General Otto.

Who commanded the great attempted breakout at Aspern-Essling?

Massena

http://members.tripod.com/amik78/Massena.html

The Austrians, aware of the situation, mounted massive assaults on both Aspern and Essling. The fighting was furious and the losses were staggering, but the attacks were beaten back. In the afternoon, Napoleon decided to withdraw his troops to the island of Lobau. Masséna was given the responsibility of extricating what was left of the army and the bloody battle of Aspern-Essling came to an end. This battle was undeniably a severe shock for Napoleon; it was his first indisputable defeat. He should not have been surprised; he violated most of those principles that had brought him victory in the past. Without the extraordinary efforts of his officers and men, Aspern-Essling would have been a monumental disaster. On the other hand, even in the midst of this catastrophe, it was one of Masséna's finest hours; he remained sanguine, tranquil, and above all, resolute. His heroic rank and file had covered themselves with glory, but at staggering costs. French losses totaled over 20,000 men, including Marshal Lannes, and the Austrians casualties numbered in excess of 25,000.

During the Melfa River crossing in the Italian campaign of WW2, a Canadian recce troop leader seized the initial crossing point and held it until re-enforcements arrived.

1) What was his name?

2) What unit was he from?

3) What decoration did he receive for this action?

DG

RecceDG said:
During the Melfa River crossing in the Italian campaign of WW2, a Canadian recce troop leader seized the initial crossing point and held it until re-enforcements arrived.

1) What was his name?

2) What unit was he from?

3) What decoration did he receive for this action?

DG

MAJOR JOHN KEEFER MAHONY
The Westminster Regiment (Motor)
The Canadian Army

On 24 May 1944 at the River Melfa, Italy, Major Mahony and his company were ordered to establish the initial bridgehead over the river. This was accomplished and for five hours the company maintained its position in the face of enemy fire and attack until the remaining companies and supporting weapons were able to reinforce them. Early in the action Major Mahony was wounded in the head and twice in the leg, but he refused medical aid and continued to direct the defence of the bridgehead. The enemy saw that this officer was the soul of the defence and consequently made him their particular target.

I'm sorry, that's not correct.

You have named the re-enforcement commander, not the troop leader who established the initial crossing....

DG

RecceDG said:
I'm sorry, that's not correct.

You have named the re-enforcement commander, not the troop leader who established the initial crossing....

DG

AH! You're right

Lieutenant Ed Perkins
Lord Strathcona’s regimental reconnaissance
Distinguished Service Order

http://www.virtualmuseum.ca/Exhibitions/Militaris/eng/land/people/pplpopup/c.1.21c.html

Back