• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Navy knife?

Reaction score
This knife was passed to me from my deceased brother’s belongings:
image.jpg
Was it Cdn Navy issue? And, I recognize the blade and the marlin spike, but what is the third device?
-Mike ( former sigs reservist)

It is a seaman's knife. I don't recognize the pattern as a RCN issued one, however. As to the third device, it is usually used to help weaving through rope strands when making back splices and such other weaves.

This knife was passed to me from my deceased brother’s belongings:
View attachment 84683
Was it Cdn Navy issue? And, I recognize the blade and the marlin spike, but what is the third device?
-Mike ( former sigs reservist)

The RCN has issued these out as seaman's knives. We used to get then in for kit returns when I worked at clothing as an OD. I haven't seen one in decades.

Some minor info:

Similar:

What we issue now:

What I carry:

That looks about 1000x better than the one I was issued a few decades ago. Can’t remember what it was but it was a European company and honestly looked like a plastic fruit knife.

I wore my (purchased) Leatherman instead, before they issued Gerbers.

Blue plastic handle and a black plastic sheath ? Ya, those were garbage.

I don’t know when they were issued until, but Afghanistan rightly had the publicity (and lion’s share of the budget).

I think was was <2006 (ish) time frame. I think think there was an intial buy, and then not replenished they were UCR'd to death.

It is a seaman's knife. I don't recognize the pattern as a RCN issued one, however. As to the third device, it is usually used to help weaving through rope strands when making back splices and such other weaves.
Also useful for opening smaller shackles.

Back