• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Mortars: 51 mm, 60 mm, 81 mm, 120 mm & more

• Thread starter Meditations in Green
  • Start date
It would be easy to teach them both to Gunners. Just do the same QL3 with the C3 an learn Mortars at the home unit, after you know the basics of indirect fire you can be taught other systems quite easily. Just ensure they learn the more complex Gun system first so it's a top down approach.

I don't think the officer MOC get's split because of this, do they not learn all the systems on their course to begin with? Maybe an Arty Officer would care to comment :)

The problem is that most reserve units will not have the time to train on & become proficient with both weapon systems.  Split MOCs would allow reserve artillery to focus on one weapon.

It would not be that difficult to maintain proficientcy with mortars, a few training nights an a weekend in the training year where the unit signs out the mortars from the base to train would suffice. Mortars don't require quite as much Logistics as guns do to get out an train. You know how to ruck? Now take this tube out with you also, you lay it just like the guns, heck units could add it to their winter Indoc weekend.

There is alot more problems then just the unit level training, splitting MOCs may cause less instructors to be available to run courses where instructors came from multiple artillery units in the same training area. Also getting Gunners to seperate from their guns will be a difficult task, an I think you'll find units that get turned into mortar platoons will have a hard time getting recruits. Why would I join mortars if all I am is Infantry with more weight but I don't get to do the fun Infantry stuff. One of the best way to get recruits for Artillery is to tell them about the guns, hell I was going Infantry when I entered that recruiting office, look where I ended up.

I am not against rerolling some of the Reserve artillery units to mortar. Mortars are a farily simple weapon system and it would fit in with the limited training time most reserve units have.  You could certainly combine aspects of infantry and artillery training into new mortar units.  I would not support giving both roles (mortar and C3) to the reserve artillery as they simply don't have enough time/money/resources to adequately fulfill one role, let alone two.

If the CFs were to go with a heavy mortar, they'd be better off investing in 120mm, as that's where the current research is being focussed towards in terms of guided projectiles, fire control systems, etc.

I would be surprised if the CF was even considering purchasing a new mortar system.  Mortars have been relegated to a secondary role for the artillery, in effect, to be taken off the shelf when needed. Why invest significant funds into a system that is not used in a primary role?

Gunner you put a HUGE smile on my face by saying that mortors are to be used in a secondary role  ;D    im kinda tired of carrying the things everywhere lol.

I'll have to say training on the mortors is easy, and u dont have to fire live to get the point we got 4 SAT trainer mortors that we actually drop bombs into and it has recoil and all the goods.  Great idea to train without leavin the building, But nothin beats the real thing of course

Gunner you put a HUGE smile on my face by saying that mortors are to be used in a secondary role      im kinda tired of carrying the things everywhere lol.

Well  it was the army commanders intent that the mortars would be given to the artillery without any additional resources to man them. They would be "taken off the shelf" when required on operations.  Comd 1 CMBG/CO 1 HA may have other plans, all in the spirit of mission command of course!

Happy lugging!  ;D

The Future Indirect Fire Capability (FIFC) program is looking at getting 120mm mortars as an option. That deosn't mean we'll actually get them though!

Alex

Yard Ape,

Are you in the Militia? I have been in 5 Field for over 6 years and while we don't have a lot of time to do tons of cross training I think that we could handle mortars quite easily. There are so many facets of the field artillery that we have to stay boned up on that we would be able to do it. I think that if you split the MOCs you would find it even harder to get recruits so now that troops. If some 105 regiments went mortars then you would lose those howitzers in those cities and some troops might not want to go mortars.
My suggestion is if mortars ever make it to the militia level then most Militia 'Regiments' have 2 'batteries'; in Western Area anyways. One of these batteries, which is more Troop size, could go mortars and have the other 'Battery' get more howitzers and try to go that way. Equipment could switch yearly or every 2 years.

If we can pull a quick conversion course and be qualified to operate an M-109 I don't think mortars would be much of a problem for us.
After all we are the smartest, best looking group in the combat arms.

No, spliting the MOC would definately not be the answer, if the reserves were going to use the mortars primarily, then just use the mortar to attain their QL3. They can always do a conversion crse later on, if required. Now for the Officers, absolutely not, the principles of indirect fire are the same. I mean, they should be qualified on the wpns system, so that they can command on the gunline/ mortar group, but thats what an 8 day conversion crse.
Remember the mortars are a residual skill set, that was thrown to the artillery because we have the ability to force generate mortarmen. Personally, I think that the reserves should concentrate on an aspect of TA, a specific skill set that the regular force does not have, and in the event that there is an operational requirement, then the Reserve Regiments are there to provide.

Scott937 said:
No, spliting the MOC would definately not be the answer, if the reserves were going to use the mortars primarily, then just use the mortar to attain their QL3.
But what if it were half and half.  Would all reserve gunners have to learn both weapons & then only ever train on one or the other, or would everyone learn one of the weapons and half the soldiers would go back to their units unemployable until a QL4 mortarman is locally run?

Yard Ape said:
But what if it were half and half. Would all reserve gunners have to learn both weapons & then only ever train on one or the other, or would everyone learn one of the weapons and half the soldiers would go back to their units unemployable until a QL4 mortarman is locally run?

Think of it this way, one reserve Regt would field mortars, another guns. If you are in the first regt your QL3 would consist of Basic mortarman, if you were in the second... C3. Much the same as the AD, when they had 3 weapons systems, unit's would train thier reservists to QL3 standard depending on the weapons system the regiment had. Ideal, definately not but functional.

So, if you would train them differently then why not distinguish them as unique sub-MOCs?

Initially, we would train them differently but if thier taskings went outside this weapons system. They all would understand the principles of the other systems and be familiar with their proceedures, but the live fire would be on their own system...

Scott937 said:
Initially, we would train them differently but if their takings went outside this weapons system. They all would understand the principles of the other systems and be familiar with their procedures, but the live fire would be on their own system...
Right, this is why I am not suggesting a separate MOC, but a split MOC.  They are trained differently, but a conversion course would qualify an individual in the "other half."  This could be used to select most appropriately trained candidates suitable to augment overseas missions (based on weapons in theater).

Back