• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Medical review

bird4203

Reaction score
Hi there. I have recently applied for a cook position in the reserves. I am confident that i can pass the physical and apptitude test however, i am worried about the medical reciew. I have kidney disease due to complications from birth. It is well managed and i have a good understanding of the situation and what is required to remain healthy. I read that the CAF will accept diabetes patients if they take care of themselves and maintain stable blood sugar levels. Oh, i should also mention that i dont and have never had a kidney stone or cyst. My doctor has also confirmed with me that he encourages a very physical lifestyle. Anybody else out there with a similar issue? Or someone with diabetes that was let in?

Thanks for any advise you guys have?

Given recent changes and such, I've given up hope of figuring out what your crystal ball shows other than do your medical and await what the Recruit Medical Office says...oh and do what you need to do to stay healthy, regardless of the outcome.

Nobody here can or will give you a complete answer. That being said, what will happen is that you will have an enrolment medical at which you are required to disclose your prior medical history. If the person conducting your medical feels that there is a question that needs to be answered, they will supply you with a request for more information that you must take to your primary care provider. That person will then need to complete the form and have it returned to the recruiting medical staff. From there, a recommendation will be made, and the Recruiting Medical Officer (RMO) will decide if meet the standard for enrolment or not. It is worth noting that all CF medicals are reviewed in a two step process, not just recruiting medicals.

My advice is that you are completely forthcoming with your information. You do not want to be in a position where your primary care provider contradicts you.

Do you guys know if medical requirements change depending on your trade and likely deployemt?

I have kidney disease due to complications from birth. It is well managed and i have a good understanding of the situation and what is required to remain healthy. I read that the CAF will accept diabetes patients if they take care of themselves and maintain stable blood sugar levels.
What happens when you can't maintain stable blood sugar levels?

Do you guys know if medical requirements change depending on your trade and likely deployemt?
There are minimum medical categories for every trade, but there is a common enrolment standard. Applicants are required to meet whichever is higher.

What happens when you can't maintain stable blood sugar levels?
You would likely go on a TCat while being assessed by an endocrinologist. If you were to maintain stable blood sugars with medication, the type of medication and risk of discontinuation would need to be considered. If you require insulin, you're likely G5O5, which only has one end point.

Back