• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Lightweight Thermal Headware System

Arctic Acorn

Reaction score
Just got the LWT system today, and I must say it is a truly bitchin' set of kit. However, does anyone know if it is authorised for garrision wear? Likely not the balaclava, but the neck warmer isn't too overt IMO.

Have any units/bases issued policy on this yet?

:dontpanic:
J.M.

I thought it looked pretty bang on, I would assume the neck warmer should be ok, cus peopel wear the scarf, why not a neck warmer. Outa curiousity, are you PRes? Just wondering if this is a reserve issue item now.

I am PRes.

Thanks for reminding me too, as no one really seems to know about these yet.

ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS!

If you are an army reservist in the Halifax area, there's a bloody triwall of the abovementioned pieces of kit available for issue. They only thing is the QM requires you to bring your helmet (for sizing purposes). No helmet, no shiny kit...no negotiation. (I tried...)

Can anyone from the reg side speak to what their unit/base policy on wear in garrison is, please?

:dontpanic:
J.M.

Yeah, I got mine a couple weeks ago (no helmet required  ;D). But does it not seem a little hard to breathe through the balaklava AND the neck warmer? Otherwise it looks as though it'll be an excellent piece of kit.

There hasn't been much in the wauy of direction on it. As it is green, issued and meant to be worn in cold weather, IMHO if worn properly, in lieu of a scarf,  below the ears and jawline, then I can't see it being a problem... Its one of those common sense situations, if its cold wear it. If your indoors, don't.

But then again I am not RSM.

I wore mine on our ex last month, worked out nice.  The neck warmer doens't really do anything if oyu have your balaclava because it will cover your neck AND your head, but wearing them together will be too hot.  The only thing which I didin't enjoy too much was breathing in all that hot air after a couple km of marching.  Kept my ears and face nice and toasty tho.

I got mine a few weeks ago (I'm PRes, 34 Bde) and it worked wonders in the field. I picked it up a couple hours before a FIBUA ex, and sleeping in the cold, cement buildings with the balaclava was surprisingly comfortable. If it's a little colder I like to wear the neckwarmer over the balaclava, with the balaclava exposing my whole face so i can use that nifty breathing vent on the neckwarmer. Definitely a piece of kit I will always bring, regardless of the weather, since, as anyone who has been to CFB Valcartier knows, even summer nights can be bloody cold.

got mine on the 10th, i loved it from the amount i used it, it seems like a great piece of kit, maybe for once Canada didnt screw up a piece of new kit... :p :p

Back