• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Global Warming/Climate Change Super Thread

Is that sea level rise or shore being consumed? If the Plymouth Rock isn't moving then two other possibilities remain - sand being washed away - a known phenomenon, or the ground under the shore is collapsing or tilting down. Also a possibility but that would apply to the Plymouth Rock as well.
Land subsidence is usually the culprit. A common cause of land subsidence is too much water being pumped out of underlying aquifers.

View attachment 84915

I like it.
I agree. I think we should take all the money spent on expensive initiatives like solar or wind, that will never pay for themselves, and put it all into nuclear.

So anywhere from 125 to 250 years away. A lot can and will change in that time. Consider how people were living and consuming 125 years ago.
from the article
"The province’s own 2013 Sea Level Rise Adaptation Primer for regional managers recommends planning for sea level rise of about one metre by the end of the century, and 50 centimetres by 2050."

so its a planning initiative but 4mm/yr is just todays increase next decade it will be higher and the decade after that higher still. The level will continue to increase and the rate of increase as well until CO2/CO2eq is reduced to baseline

from the article
"The province’s own 2013 Sea Level Rise Adaptation Primer for regional managers recommends planning for sea level rise of about one metre by the end of the century, and 50 centimetres by 2050."

so its a planning initiative but 4mm/yr is just todays increase next decade it will be higher and the decade after that higher still. The level will continue to increase and the rate of increase as well until CO2/CO2eq is reduced to baseline
50 centimetres is roughly 20 inches. That's a lot more than 4. I call bullsh!t. We know what the current rate of rise is because we measure it. We can't measure future rates of rise. Any guesses other than "more of the same" have approximately the status of "pulled out of someone's ass". It amazes me the sh!t some people will believe because they think climate experts know as much about climate as a plumber knows about plumbing.

50 centimetres is roughly 20 inches. That's a lot more than 4. I call bullsh!t. We know what the current rate of rise is because we measure it. We can't measure future rates of rise. Any guesses other than "more of the same" have approximately the status of "pulled out of someone's ass". It amazes me the sh!t some people will believe because they think climate experts know as much about climate as a plumber knows about plumbing.
well we know what it was yesterday and the day before too. I remember when it was 3mm/yr and when it was 2mm/yr

well we know what it was yesterday and the day before too. I remember when it was 3mm/yr and when it was 2mm/yr
I have been reading estimates of 3-5 mm per year for a couple of decades.

What's going on basically amounts to curve-fitting games. People look at the data, see what they think might be non-linearity, and pick a non-linear model that seems to fit. Then they report extrapolations (into the future) of the non-linear model. The predicted change depends on whatever model is chosen.

An underlying problem is that there just isn't a lot of data (only 30 years' worth), so picking a model is guess-work.

theres 30 yrs of satellite measurements.
itds not estimates its 10 yr back averages
That's great, but it doesn't change the different numbers people have been putting out - which necessarily creates a range of reported values - or alter the facts that the data set is small and that extrapolations depend on the curve models.

That's great, but it doesn't change the different numbers people have been putting out - which necessarily creates a range of reported values - or alter the facts that the data set is small and that extrapolations depend on the curve models.
what different numbers by what people?
Is that a bad thing?
I dont think the data set is small for modern sea level

what different numbers by what people?
Is that a bad thing?
I dont think the data set is small for modern sea level
there are dozens of sites globally that have a flood gauge that has been there for centuries. The circular openings in one of the bridges in Rome being one case in point. So floods are nothing new. The Seychelles were predicted to disappear under the Indian Ocean in the next few years but instead they have actually become larger. Evidently the land mass is rising up as much or more than the water level is. In Wales, Harlech castle has a lower level sally port that was used to bring supplies in by boat if the castle was besieged. It is now at least 2 km. from the sea. Much of the Netherlands is reclaimed from the sea and protected by seawalls. In short, I will continue to ignore the extraneous noise from those who insist that the sky is falling and simply encourage the introduction of simple preventive solutions such as walls when it becomes apparent that they are actually needed and not because someone's computer programme is making the forecast.

there are dozens of sites globally that have a flood gauge that has been there for centuries. The circular openings in one of the bridges in Rome being one case in point. So floods are nothing new. The Seychelles were predicted to disappear under the Indian Ocean in the next few years but instead they have actually become larger. Evidently the land mass is rising up as much or more than the water level is. In Wales, Harlech castle has a lower level sally port that was used to bring supplies in by boat if the castle was besieged. It is now at least 2 km. from the sea. Much of the Netherlands is reclaimed from the sea and protected by seawalls. In short, I will continue to ignore the extraneous noise from those who insist that the sky is falling and simply encourage the introduction of simple preventive solutions such as walls when it becomes apparent that they are actually needed and not because someone's computer programme is making the forecast.

We're on the rebound...

Post-glacial rebound​

The uplift has taken place in two distinct stages. The initial uplift following deglaciation was almost immediate due to the elastic response of the crust as the ice load was removed. After this elastic phase, uplift proceeded by slow viscous flow at an exponentially decreasing rate.[citation needed] Today, typical uplift rates are of the order of 1 cm/year or less. In northern Europe, this is clearly shown by the GPS data obtained by the BIFROST GPS network;[3] for example in Finland, the total area of the country is growing by about seven square kilometers per year.[4][5] Studies suggest that rebound will continue for at least another 10,000 years. The total uplift from the end of deglaciation depends on the local ice load and could be several hundred metres near the centre of rebound.

Back