• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Canada to Spend $5.0Bil on AEW Aircraft

This is a Boeing 737 airframe? curious
Well, no one specifically said what the AEW&C aircraft will be. Unlike the CMMA, Bombardier (paired up with Saab and others) also has an operational AEW&C aircraft.

Now, I have no idea what the requirements are and if the Bombardier GlobalEye will meet them, but at least it’s a real aircraft this time.

Well, no one specifically said what the AEW&C aircraft will be. Unlike the CMMA, Bombardier (paired up with Saab and others) also has an operational AEW&C aircraft.

Now, I have no idea what the requirements are and if the Bombardier GlobalEye will meet them, but at least it’s a real aircraft this time.
Or it could even be the E-2 Super Fudd.

Yes, I hear you and yes it would be a concern. But how do you propose that our airspace be actually defended? The Americans station thousands and thousands of troops in Alaska, don't they?
Maybe similar to Alert and use 3-6 month rotations?

Alert desperately needs significant updates and repair due to its age and harsh environment. It wouldn’t help retention. We’d be better to use Yellowknife and have access to amenities.
No, I wasn't saying to base them in Alert, I was suggesting Yellowknife be staffed by pers there for a few months instead of posted there for years.

Assuming all the programs come to pass, there is an interesting opportunity for the RCAF to develop a model that sees them deploy and train to fight as an integrated Canadian Air task force with attendant national persistent ISR UAS, AEW&C, AAR and then fighters for both counter air missions, CAS, and interdiction or strike operations.
That would be an interesting development vs the relatively single fleet deployments that have been the recent past defaults.

Depending on the size of the trade, that could be a few months, every few months.

'Hi honey, I got my wings/battle manager certification/operator certification'
'See you in 4 months.'

One of these things may be good news, the other non-so-good news'.

No, I wasn't saying to base them in Alert, I was suggesting Yellowknife be staffed by pers there for a few months instead of posted there for years.
That is all well and good but you still need a permanent facilities crew. Perhaps local residents could fulfill some of the requirements BUT you still need a permanent not temp military presence.

Alert desperately needs significant updates and repair due to its age and harsh environment. It wouldn’t help retention. We’d be better to use Yellowknife and have access to amenities.
What are the thoughts on Whitehorse, rather than Yellowknife?

Closer to Alaska to state the obvious, and I'd argue Whitehorse is just a way cooler town than Yellowknife...

(I categorize them both equally as being cold as f**k for 6 or 7 months of the year)

Back