• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Ask a Nerdy Question.

GnyHwy

Army.ca Veteran
Inactive
Reaction score
This thread is meant to exercise your brain.  Ask and answer questions about anything military, whether it be technical (my favourite), literal, scientific (my second favourite), or completely random.  Please attempt to keep it at least semi-academic, although humour should be encouraged; nerd it out if you want.  I will start it off with an easy two part question.

What is trilateration?

What major system utilizes trilateration?

GnyHwy said:
This thread is meant to exercise your brain.  Ask and answer questions about anything military, whether it be technical (my favourite), literal, scientific (my second favourite), or completely random.  Please attempt to keep it at least semi-academic, although humour should be encouraged; nerd it out if you want.  I will start it off with an easy two part question.

What is trilateration?

What major system utilizes trilateration?

If we are thinking about the same thing, it is the process of using linear algebra to identify/locate a point in R^2 through the use of vectors representing the radii of circles. It is a relatively practical geometric skill, but I'm not sure what it's application to the military would be.

Its use is in surveying, navigation, and specifically the GPS system.

Ok, jp gets a C-, Cupper also a C-.  If you had put them together you would have a solid C, maybe a B with a bit of elaboration.  Someone else ask one now.

What important in-flight information is provided through the use of Bernoulli's incompressible flow equation?

That would be airspeed as determined by the use of a pitot tube.

Non-technical question.

What is the significance of the facility located at 39° 44′ 2.4″ N, 77° 25′ 8.4″ W, and what more famous landmark is located 10km south - south west?

The Raven Rock Mountain complex is located there, and the significance of that facility is it's a back-up Pentagon, and south-southwest of it is Camp David, a private retreat for Presidents, and has been used by every once since Roosevelt.

Standby for new question.

Shipwreck said:
The Raven Rock Mountain complex is located there, and the significance of that facility is it's a back-up Pentagon, and south-southwest of it is Camp David, a private retreat for Presidents, and has been used by every once since Roosevelt.

Standby for new question.

Correctamundo!

Dang Shipwreck you beat me to it. I might as well post my question though!

Non-technical:

From which renowned U.S.A.F. base did America's first jet fighter aircraft take off from?

Bonus Question: What was this base's name before it was renamed in memory of a fatal accident?

Just to screw it up even more, Here's what I came up with to ask:

What connection is there between Canada's submarines and William Shakespeare?

Shipwreck said:
Just to screw it up even more, Here's what I came up with to ask:

What connection is there between Canada's submarines and William Shakespeare?

Victoria Class submarines vs. The Victorian Era, which idealized the Elizabethan Era, in which Shakespeare composed his plays.  ???

Relatively easy one.  What does the following hex value stand for in ASCII?  Hint.  It is more than a simple ASCII to Hex conversion.  Think like a true nerd.

792E6360

Nope.  Try Hex to Binary then to ascii.

Harris said:
Nope.  Try Hex to Binary then to ascii.

HEX: 792E6360
Binary: 01111001001011100110001101100000
Decimal: 2033083232

ASCII translation: y.c`
ASCII decimal representation: 50 48 51 51 48 56 51 50 51 50

Conversion computed based in IEEE-754 format.

jparkin said:
Dang Shipwreck you beat me to it. I might as well post my question though!

Non-technical:

From which renowned U.S.A.F. base did America's first jet fighter aircraft take off from?

Bonus Question: What was this base's name before it was renamed in memory of a fatal accident?

Muroc Army Air Field (today, Edwards Air Force Base)

Also, America's first jet fighter was the Bell XP-59A (AiraComet)

Edit: to make the jets name more specific

Jimmy_D said:
Muroc Army Air Field (today, Edwards Air Force Base)

Also, America's first jet fighter was the Bell XP-59A (AiraComet)

Edit: to make the jets name more specific

Nice stuff.

Back