• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

A Deeply Fractured US

No need to get worked up; just apply common sense.

Trump's opponents throw everything at him they can find, as soon as they find it. If something turns up that supposedly happened years ago, it's overwhelmingly likely to be bullsh!t. Ignore it and let the people who want to be rolled, roll themselves.
Including here.

My response was tongue in cheek Brad. Although I could easily carry out my threat, I have neither the time or inclination to try make bullshit into fact.

The continuing saga of House speakership isn't simply a matter of a small Republican sub-faction throwing its weight. This at Reason.com argues that it's a fight over whether the House is run by its Republican majority or a Republican/Democrat mix of centrists.

"What is becoming more clear is the House isn't really operating like a two-party legislature at the moment. Johnson is, effectively, leading an unofficial coalition government that includes the bulk of the nominal Republican caucus and a sizable chunk of the centrist Democrats...The coalition nature of the House also explains recent votes on the budget package and the FISA reauthorization, both of which passed with a mix of Republican and Democratic votes. A similar outcome would
be expected if the Ukraine and Israel military aid bills make it to the floor this week.

The House's "governing majority (the Democrats plus Republicans who vote to pass the spending bills) continues to diverge from the procedural majority (the narrow Republican majority that selected the speaker)," is how a trio of political scientists explained the dynamic in a piece for Politico earlier this month.

If Greene, Massie, and their allies move to oust Johnson this week, it will be a test of the strength of the unofficial coalition that now governs the chamber. This is a fight over the House leadership and the fate of the military aid to Ukraine and Israel, but it's really the next phase in an ongoing struggle to determine how Congress will operate in an era when political parties have been weakened and electoral majorities are slim."

The continuing saga of House speakership isn't simply a matter of a small Republican sub-faction throwing its weight. This at Reason.com argues that it's a fight over whether the House is run by its Republican majority or a Republican/Democrat mix of centrists.

"What is becoming more clear is the House isn't really operating like a two-party legislature at the moment. Johnson is, effectively, leading an unofficial coalition government that includes the bulk of the nominal Republican caucus and a sizable chunk of the centrist Democrats...The coalition nature of the House also explains recent votes on the budget package and the FISA reauthorization, both of which passed with a mix of Republican and Democratic votes. A similar outcome would
be expected if the Ukraine and Israel military aid bills make it to the floor this week.

The House's "governing majority (the Democrats plus Republicans who vote to pass the spending bills) continues to diverge from the procedural majority (the narrow Republican majority that selected the speaker)," is how a trio of political scientists explained the dynamic in a piece for Politico earlier this month.

If Greene, Massie, and their allies move to oust Johnson this week, it will be a test of the strength of the unofficial coalition that now governs the chamber. This is a fight over the House leadership and the fate of the military aid to Ukraine and Israel, but it's really the next phase in an ongoing struggle to determine how Congress will operate in an era when political parties have been weakened and electoral majorities are slim."
Johnson is to be applauded for beating the odds and being an adult in the room. A small fringe on the edge of the Republican Party got accustomed to dictating certain things for the larger party along those procedural majority lines; a much larger element of the party seems to be sick of their shit and is willing to cut them out to get some important work done by bipartisan consensus.

This same phenomenon can benefit the more centrist of the Democrats too; in such a precariously balanced house, one or two spoilers can really screw up a party’s works. The Dems only need to quid pro quo a few republicans to move some things forward too.

Hopefully America’s legislature is sobering up a little.

Johnson is to be applauded for beating the odds and being an adult in the room. A small fringe on the edge of the Republican Party got accustomed to dictating certain things for the larger party along those procedural majority lines; a much larger element of the party seems to be sick of their shit and is willing to cut them out to get some important work done by bipartisan consensus.

This same phenomenon can benefit the more centrist of the Democrats too; in such a precariously balanced house, one or two spoilers can really screw up a party’s works. The Dems only need to quid pro quo a few republicans to move some things forward too.

My old man's favourite word: Eventually.

Until something passes, especially aid for Ukraine, I’m not holding my breath.

Until something passes, especially aid for Ukraine, I’m not holding my breath.
No, agreed, but he is trying to do the right thing, and is framing it in those terms in his speaking on the matter. He at least refuses to be part of the problem at this point.

Shit is going down at Trumps courthouse trial. Some sort of fire and some guy on fire.

Edit: looks like someone may have set themselves on fire

Shit is going down at Trumps courthouse trial. Some sort of fire and some guy on fire.

Edit: looks like someone may have set themselves on fire
That’s sad and tragic.

The court has just empaneled the jury and six alternates. The trial itself will start on Monday.

Watching the police update right now.
So far. A guy walked into the parkette, across from the court house, poured an accelerate on himself and lit himself up. NYPD EOD has been called to do a sweep. They have nothing attaching him to any group or a reason why he did it. He's in the hospital with severe burns, but alive at this point. 37 years old from Florida. Everything else is ongoing.

Watching the police update right now.
So far. A guy walked into the parkette, across from the court house, poured an accelerate on himself and lit himself up. NYPD EOD has been called to do a sweep. They have nothing attaching him to any group or a reason why he did it. He's in the hospital with severe burns, but alive at this point. 37 years old from Florida. Everything else is ongoing.

Alive? Jesus. I saw the video and thought he was definitely dead.

I suspect there will be a massive mental health component to this.

Alive? Jesus. I saw the video and thought he was definitely dead.

I suspect there will be a massive mental health component to this.
I saw it as well and pretty much assumed he was dead. If he survives that will be a life of perpetual pain…

Looks like the article FB posted was updated and Brihard is correct about the mental health thing. Looks like a conspiracy theorist with beefs with everything from Hillary Clinton to Saudi Arabia.

Back