• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Installation of Tampon Dispensers in all Washrooms

I suspect the reaction has nothing to do with the simple presence of the product or the implication a woman might be in a men's room, and everything to do with the political statement made by putting them there. I have yet to meet a guy who'd do more than shrug if a woman witnessed him hanging a rat.

Consider them first aid supplies for nose bleeds...used to be in my trainer's kit for that reason until purposely designed nasal tampons became available...which in their original iteration, were just expensive menstrual ones with a fancy nasal sounding name too them.

That's the first reference to using tampons for nose bleeds that I've heard in the over forty years since I worked with ENT at NDMC. It was one of the more useful things I learned from the docs that could be easily translated to the field. That, and using a Foley as a temporary tamponade (see, there's even a medical term for it) for a posterior bleed.

The 2022 men's football FIFA World Cup game between Canada and Croatia caught my attention, not only because of the impressive level of football, but because of the use of a nasal tampon (NT) by the captain of the Canada squad, Atiba Hutchinson, to stop a nosebleed at the beginning of the second half.1

Curious to learn more about the use of this traditionally feminine product to halt or improve epistaxis (nosebleeds or nasal bleeds) in sports, PubMed was initially searched for studies related to NTs (or nasal tamponades) in medicine, discovering 528 and 247 results, respectively.

I suspect the overlap between ‘men freaked out about tampons at work’ and ‘men too insecure to buy tampons for their wife/girlfriend/daughter when doing groceries’ is non-negligible.
I’ve gotten over the issue of buying them for my daughter. The wife was easier, the daughter has been much harder.

I suspect the reaction has nothing to do with the simple presence of the product or the implication a woman might be in a men's room, and everything to do with the political statement made by putting them there. I have yet to meet a guy who'd do more than shrug if a woman witnessed him hanging a rat.
The issue is more complex than that, as then what the stops the man from doing the same in the women’s bathroom and I suspect that many women would not appreciate someone ‘hanging a rat’ as it where in there…

Admittedly I’ve seen some women hanging out in Men’s rooms, and most are the ones you really want to be checking out your junk (unless you’re exceptionally drunk, then it’s a lot of morning regret).

The book "Invisible Women" is interesting, and provides context on why women man invade men's rooms.

And may also make you irate on behalf of your wives, daughters, and female friends.

The book "Invisible Women" is interesting, and provides context on why women man invade men's rooms.

And may also make you irate on behalf of your wives, daughters, and female friends.

Thanks for the reference! I'll be buying a few copies...

Invisible Women by Caroline Criado Perez – a world designed for men​

From the ‘one-size-fits-men’ approach to smartphone design to the medical trials that are putting women’s lives at risk … this book uses data like a laser

There you go:

Around $400 EACH.

What a gigantic waste of money holy hell. Gotta be a cheaper way to put Fem hygiene products on/in bathrooms.

Does it function as expected ? I’m inclined to call that a massive procurement win

Does it function as expected ? I’m inclined to call that a massive procurement win
Probably the fastest procurement to implementation we've ever seen. I wonder if there's industrial regional benefits for Canadian companies?

M'eh. I've pretty much given up on staying abreast of all these "woke" societal changes. My only gripe is that they put the product basket in our locker room on the counter exactly where I used to put my coffee cup while I washed up.

That's the first reference to using tampons for nose bleeds that I've heard in the over forty years since I worked with ENT at NDMC. It was one of the more useful things I learned from the docs that could be easily translated to the field. That, and using a Foley as a temporary tamponade (see, there's even a medical term for it) for a posterior bleed.

The original "Rhino-Rocket" was pretty much a just a tampon...the newer variants are hemostatic gauze or soakablw foam over a balloon that goes is and applies internal pressure...step up from the "rubber chickens" and using a Foley...though I still keep the Foley in the tool kit if we don't have the longer posterior Rapid Rhino balloon tampon.

I suspect the overlap between ‘men freaked out about tampons at work’ and ‘men too insecure to buy tampons for their wife/girlfriend/daughter when doing groceries’ is non-negligible.
I’ve got no problem buying those for the women in my life. I just ask you tell me exactly what you want. Have you seen the tampon aisle? There are more flavours there than a Baskin Robbin’s! 😲

I’ve got no problem buying those for the women in my life. I just ask you tell me exactly what you want. Have you seen the tampon aisle? There are more flavours there than a Baskin Robbin’s! 😲
I also shop for the women in my life. The stipulation is that they have write down on the grocery list EXACTLY what they want and I will only buy that.

A generation or two ago, if there had been had been such a slew of complaints from women, the counter-argument would have been because they were on their period.

Back