• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Canada to Spend $5.0Bil on AEW Aircraft

From an integrated continental perspective what does Whitehorse offer that isn’t already covered by the Alaskan bases in Anchorage and Fairbanks?
Assuming we wanted to go down that route, would not basing in Yellowknife, between the Alaskan bases and Thule (assuming the US put a force there) provide better overall coverage?

From an integrated continental perspective what does Whitehorse offer that isn’t already covered by the Alaskan bases in Anchorage and Fairbanks?
Assuming we wanted to go down that route, would not basing in Yellowknife, between the Alaskan bases and Thule (assuming the US put a force there) provide better overall coverage?
Logically that sounds good and I am not looking at a map right now - hang on I am now. Yeah I can see what you're getting at.

BUT I am not an expert in AEW.......

What are the thoughts on Whitehorse, rather than Yellowknife?

Closer to Alaska to state the obvious, and I'd argue Whitehorse is just a way cooler town than Yellowknife...

(I categorize them both equally as being cold as f**k for 6 or 7 months of the year)
Not sure tbh, I’ve never been. Someone had mentioned Yellowknife because of its infrastructure, including JTFN. Rotate in and out when needed. I hope the RCAF will take Arctic training seriously and the crews will be properly equipped and trained for it.

Not sure tbh, I’ve never been. Someone had mentioned Yellowknife because of its infrastructure, including JTFN. Rotate in and out when needed. I hope the RCAF will take Arctic training seriously and the crews will be properly equipped and trained for it.
Yes and the A/C has stores on board to ensure the crew can survive in a harsh environment. Op BOXTOP should have taught us that. And the crew are trained to survive.

Well Sachs Harbour on Banks Island is almost exactly half way between Thule and Elmendorf AFB. It's also right at the Western entrance to the North West Passage. Sounds like a perfect location.

Might need a bit of work though...population of 104. And not much infrastructure...
Services include a two-member Royal Canadian Mounted Police detachment and a health centre with one nurse.[19] Phone services are provided by Northwestel with Internet access. The local hunters and trappers association provides outfitting for big-game hunts like muskox and polar bears. Bulk supplies of food and other items are brought by barge in the summer months and flights from Inuvik, some 523 km (325 mi) to the southwest, operate all year, via the Sachs Harbour (David Nasogaluak Jr. Saaryuaq) Airport.
The airport will need some upgrades (currently a 1,220m gravel strip) and you'd want to build a deep water port for the AOPS to use.

Let the fight for postings begin!

Exactly! We teach one of the NATO Arctic survival. It’s a good and challenging course that taught me to know what gear work and what doesn’t. There’s a serious lack of understanding when it comes to Arctic environment. Yes it’s warming, but the winterstorms are also more frequent and unexpected too.

That is all well and good but you still need a permanent facilities crew. Perhaps local residents could fulfill some of the requirements BUT you still need a permanent not temp military presence.
If you want to improve our Northern security you need a all of government approach with a strategic assessment of needs and then all the involved Departments can work towards a common goal. Everything from improved roads, airports, navigation, communications, sewer, water, power and jobs. For DND to have more presence up there, you need permanent civy jobs to keep the lights and heat on, as you rotate military staff through. Eventually work to have more of the admin work from up there. Try to fill some postings with volunteers who want it and give them some fiscal incentive. Bit by bit grow the footprint.

Improve northern security and bases? lol we can't even do that in our established bases.

No, I wasn't saying to base them in Alert, I was suggesting Yellowknife be staffed by pers there for a few months instead of posted there for years.
I knew about a dozen people posted to YK over the years. They all absolutely loved it (even their families). I went there a few times and I totally get it - it has the amenities of a much larger city than its population.

As a complete aside, Thule AFB is no longer named Thule.
On 6 April 2023, Thule was renamed Pituffik Space Base, reflecting its status as a Space Force base and the native name for the region

I knew about a dozen people posted to YK over the years. They all absolutely loved it (even their families). I went there a few times and I totally get it - it has the amenities of a much larger city than its population.
We only have a few people up there, and they all screen for it. It makes sense that those who make it through screening enjoy it. Double or triple the numbers and you'll likely find a lot less happy campers up there.

We only have a few people up there, and they all screen for it. It makes sense that those who make it through screening enjoy it. Double or triple the numbers and you'll likely find a lot less happy campers up there.
Granted, this is Wiki numbers but they say there are 300 CAF folks in JTF-N. That’s a pretty decent size for a place you need to screen for (and not “screen” like Cold Lake).

NORAD HQ in Colorado Springs only has 150.

Granted, this is Wiki numbers but they say there are 300 CAF folks in JTF-N. That’s a pretty decent size for a place you need to screen for (and not “screen” like Cold Lake).

NORAD HQ in Colorado Springs only has 150.
Very true, but out of 60K+ CAF members, it's still a small number, and we still send people who don't really want to go, and that don't enjoy it up there. Make that number 600-900 and you're going to significantly increase the number of people who hate it, and want to get out however they can.

I'd love to have had a chance to go, but there was no position for my trade. I also realize I'm likely the exception, having gladly lived on both coasts, and in most provinces in-between.

Very true, but out of 60K+ CAF members, it's still a small number, and we still send people who don't really want to go, and that don't enjoy it up there. Make that number 600-900 and you're going to significantly increase the number of people who hate it, and want to get out however they can.

I'd love to have had a chance to go, but there was no position for my trade. I also realize I'm likely the exception, having gladly lived on both coasts, and in most provinces in-between.
Needs of the sevlce…

Only get you so far, as evidenced by the recruiting and retention problems faced by most Western militaries.
Arguable.

During GWOT none of the services had major issues. Now in ‘peacetime’ the mission is not as rewarding for many - and the sense of duty isn’t at the same level.

Combined with a lot of absolutely terrible recruitment material, and for Canada a rusted out military — yeah there isn’t a lot of rush out the door for.

Personally to me, that would be a great place to be posted to — not a lot of people, lots of open space— sounds like a win. Plus you can almost play hockey year round on outdoor rinks ;)

If things are going well for us, then the most important uses of the CAF are going to be abroad. Sending people abroad is more cost-effective if they go for long stretches of time. People who want to work in the CAF ought to properly understand this before signing on.

Back