• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Application Process Samples [ 2019-present]

The waiting time is getting ridiculous. Not only this; having applied to the PRes, I have to get all my shit together in advance (civilian career, kids, expenses to cover when away, ect). I would be pissed to have a 2 week delay from the time I get an offer to the time my BMQ starts.

For REG people joining it's one thing because you'll be doing that career 24/7, but for people like me having a 40+ hours civilian job and kids to raise 50/50 custody share, it's a headache not knowing what's coming and when.

I would be pissed to have a 2 week delay from the time I get an offer to the time my BMQ starts.
As a reservist you won’t have to deal with a short timeline between swearing in and BMQ. Your BMQ will either be full time in the summer or part time in the fall. If full time doesn’t work for you then you know it will be a few months before you do BMQ. And BMQ will be every other weekend so lots of time to prep your life.

Your trades course will be in the summer, but not before next summer. So lots of time again to organize yourself.

As a reservist the job is designed to work around you to an extent. You can always say no because you have another life. So while waiting sucks, once you are sworn in you can make the CAF wait for you.

As a reservist you won’t have to deal with a short timeline between swearing in and BMQ. Your BMQ will either be full time in the summer or part time in the fall. If full time doesn’t work for you then you know it will be a few months before you do BMQ. And BMQ will be every other weekend so lots of time to prep your life.

Your trades course will be in the summer, but not before next summer. So lots of time again to organize yourself.

As a reservist the job is designed to work around you to an extent. You can always say no because you have another life. So while waiting sucks, once you are sworn in you can make the CAF wait for you.
The only thing that's a bummer is that the longer the wait to do your trade's course, the less taskings you're able to do at your unit.

A MSE Op without his 404s is pretty useless in a Service Batallion, plus that means my Cpl wont be issued until the end of next summer if I do my trade's course next summer, resulting in an important pay decrease over almost a complete year.

I might be able to do full time BMQ in the end of this summer, hopefuly.

I know the first full-time BMQ this summer is around the end of May at my unit, and MSE OP course this summer is from June 26 to Aug 16.

Update #3:
Recruiting Centre: CFRC Toronto
Regular/Reserve: Regular
Officer/NCM: NCM
Trade #1: IntOp
Application: December 27, 2023
CFAT: January 11, 2024
Employment/Reference Checks: February 12, 2024
Medical/Interview: January 24, 2024 (Updated February 29, 2024 all forms submitted to Ottawa)
Final Processing: Pending
Competition List: Pending
Selected: Pending
Offered: Pending
Enrolment: Pending
BMQ: Pending
Update #4:
Recruiting Centre: CFRC Toronto
Trade #1: IntOp
Application: December 27, 2023
CFAT: January 11, 2024
Employment/Reference Checks: February 12, 2024
Medical/Interview: February 29, 2024
Final Processing: March 18, 2024

where are you at with your application? because as you can see with mine, I update it regularly per sections that have been completed. If you have up to a certain point you can always post up to then.
expand...
Update

Trade #1: HRA
Application: August, 2023
CFAT: September , 2023
Reference Check & Background Check: October, 2023
Interview: November , 2023
Medical: December, 2023
Medical Approved: March, 2024
Pre secure screening start: March, 2024
Final Processing: Pending

UPDATE:

Recruiting Center: CFRC Montreal
Regular Force/Primary Reserve: PRes
Trade Choice #1: Mobile Support Equipment Operator
Applied: October 16 2023
First Contact: October 19 2023
CFAT: Did it back in 2005, still qualified.
Interview: December 12 2023
Medical: December 12 2023
Medical Documents #1: January 11 2024
FORCE test: February 6 2024
Medical Documents #2: February 28 2024
Background check: December 2023
Position Offered: March 26 2024
Swearing In: March 28 2024

UPDATE:

Recruiting Center: CFRC Montreal
Trade Choice #1: Mobile Support Equipment Operator
Applied: October 16 2023
First Contact: October 19 2023
CFAT: Did it back in 2005, still qualified.
Interview: December 12 2023
Medical: December 12 2023
Medical Documents #1: January 11 2024
FORCE test: February 6 2024
Medical Documents #2: February 28 2024
Congratulations!!

Hello. When I applied I was still a permanent resident, during this application process, I became a Canadian citizen. But due to foreign implications, my security background check is taking a very long time. I am putting my timeline here for folks that are in a similar situation of mine, being permanent residents, or citizens with foreign implications. I applied for infantry for the Reserve first, then I switched my application to Regular for Infantry Officer, Direct Entry option. I came to Canada as an international student in August, 2016, and I have never left Canada since.

Recruiting Centre: London, ON
December 13th, 2022, First contact by the Army Reserve
Feb 8th, 2023, CFAT
Feb 14th, 2023, Application transferred to Regular Force
Feb 23rd, 2023, First contact from the Regular Force
March 10th, 2023, Document Completion and TSD
June 22nd, 2023, Interview for Infantry Officer
July 29th, 2023, I was contacted for filling the Residency and Travel Outside of Canada Questionnaire for pre-assessment security clearance. I finished the form on the same day and sent it to my file manager.
August 24th, 2023, the Residency and Travel Outside of Canada Questionnaire was sent to Ottawa by my file manager. Security clearance officially started.
September 5th, 2023, Medical
September 13th, 2023, Additional information for Medical submitted; all medical files sent to Ottawa for review.
November 7th, 2023, Medical review is approved; I met Common Enrolment Medical Standard; however, I was not qualified for Infantry Officer trade because of vision; I was contacted by recruiting centre on the phone, and I reoriented my trade to Logistics Officer
November 6th, 2023, I was told the security clearance is still in progress.
November 8th, 2023, scheduled to go in for an Interview for Logistics Officer on November 23rd, 2023.
November 23rd, 2023, I went in for Logistics Officer interview; interview went well; everything else also looks favourable, only waiting on Security Background Check.
As of today, March 26th, 2024, still waiting for a response from Ottawa regarding security background check.

Like Quote Reply

Hello. When I applied I was still a permanent resident, during this application process, I became a Canadian citizen. But due to foreign implications, my security background check is taking a very long time. I am putting my timeline here for folks that are in a similar situation of mine, being permanent residents, or citizens with foreign implications. I applied for infantry for the Reserve first, then I switched my application to Regular for Infantry Officer, Direct Entry option. I came to Canada as an international student in August, 2016, and I have never left Canada since.

Feb 8th, 2023, CFAT
July 29th, 2023, I was contacted for filling the Residency and Travel Outside of Canada Questionnaire for pre-assessment security clearance. I finished the form on the same day and sent it to my file manager.
August 24th, 2023, the Residency and Travel Outside of Canada Questionnaire was sent to Ottawa by my file manager. Security clearance officially started.
September 13th, 2023, Additional information for Medical submitted; all medical files sent to Ottawa for review.
November 7th, 2023, Medical review is approved; I met Common Enrolment Medical Standard; however, I was not qualified for Infantry Officer trade because of vision; I was contacted by recruiting centre on the phone, and I reoriented my trade to Logistics Officer
November 8th, 2023, scheduled to go in for an Interview for Logistics Officer on November 23rd, 2023.
November 23rd, 2023, I went in for Logistics Officer interview; interview went well; everything else also looks favourable, only waiting on Security Background Check.
As of today, March 26th, 2024, still waiting for a response from Ottawa regarding security background check.

Like Quote Reply
Oh my! You’re in the same boat as me! I applied as a PR, got my citizenship and I’m also waiting for my Security Clearance/Background Check!! Have they said it may take up from a month to 24 months? Or were you given a timeline at all?

Oh my! You’re in the same boat as me! I applied as a PR, got my citizenship and I’m also waiting for my Security Clearance/Background Check!! Have they said it may take up from a month to 24 months? Or were you given a timeline at all?
I was told the security background check can take 6 to 18 months depending on the file. Mine has been 7 months, and still counting, so theoretically and practically, I could wait for another year just for this, before my application can move on to the next phase. Seeing some application process updates here that take only several months to half a year from first contact to Basic Training really make me jealous a bit, but they don't have foreign implications like mine. So it is fair game. And the Canadian military has never dealt this huge influx of permanent residents and citizens with foreign implications before, so I believe the military is also struggling to adapt to these drastic changes and increase of application volumes, so I understand the long wait. I was never given, nor promised a timeline, because my recruiter told me there is no such thing. God bless you.

Feb 8th, 2023, CFAT

Like Quote Reply
another London cat! Born Sudbury ON, and was a part of 2912 Sudbury Irish when I was a kid.

Recruiting Center: CFRC London
Regular Force/Primary Reserve: Reg
Choice #1: Logistics Officer
Choice #2: Air Ops
Choice #3: Aerospace Control

First Contact: Oct 16, 2023
CFAT: Nov 15, 2023

Christmas

touched base Jan 15th to discuss career options
Interview: Feb 13, 2024

Medical: Feb 28th, 2024
fam GP on vacay

Medical Doc Submission: Mar 14, 2024
Position Offered: Pending
Swearing In: Pending

I'm not certain about why the wait times are as such, but I think it will be worth it. Hoping to ship out April, the guys ahead of me were at recruitment Feb 28th to leave for March 4th. By that timeframe, I hope to hear from recruitment today with an update - Else easter will just set everything back further.

Feb 8th, 2023, CFAT

Like Quote Reply
I did my CFAT in Feb 2023 and my security screening started in May 2023, I submitted my medical forms afterwards, as long as I am still waiting for the security done, CFRC said that I cannot do the interviews until the security results come back.

Update in bold:

Recruiting Center: CFRC Detachment Oshawa
Regular Force/Primary Reserve: Regular
Trade Choice #1: Air Weapons Systems Tech
Trade Choice #2: Weapons Tech Land
Trade Choice #3: Materials Tech
Applied: October 16th, 2023
First Contact: October 25th, 2023
CFAT: November, 16th, 2023 (Qualified 1st go)
Interview: December 19th, 2023 (Recommended for enrolment- pending tattoo coverup, CAF doesn't like pin-up girls, who knew, covered up January 4th and had approved the same day)
Medical: February 23rd, 2024 (Passed and recommended for enrolment)
Final Processing: February 24th, 2024 - Present(March 29th, 2024)

Security Check: March 22nd-Present (Wasn't given these forms for whatever reason until I called the recruiters on March 22nd asking if there was still things to submit, filled and submitted same day)

Contract Offered/Accepted: Pending
Swearing In: Pending

That's all correct but as a reservist, one is obligated to finish the BMQ and DP1 within a 2-year period. For instance, if one is enrolled now, April 2024, then the next part-time weekend BMQ is in Fall of 2024. The only chance that this person has, is to take the DP1 in the summer of 2025.

Recruiting Center: Online, 32 CBG
Trade Choice #1: Armored Recce
Applied: September 29 2023
First Contact: October 7 2023
FORCE test: October 25 2023
CFAT: November 15 2023
Interview: November 29 2023
Medical: November 29 2023
Medical Documents #1: December 11 2023

That's all correct but as a reservist, one is obligated to finish the BMQ and DP1 within a 2-year period. For instance, if one is enrolled now, April 2024, then the next part-time weekend BMQ is in Fall of 2024. The only chance that this person has, is to take the DP1 in the summer of 2025.
There are exceptions, as always. As long as the member tries to be available, it’s not held against them if it takes 3 years. I personally knew one reservist who had almost 8 years in and had not completed their QL4.

Whatever. It doesn’t matter what I say. Good luck in your BMQ and future trade training.

There are exceptions, as always. As long as the member tries to be available, it’s not held against them if it takes 3 years. I personally knew one reservist who had almost 8 years in and had not completed their QL4.

Whatever. It doesn’t matter what I say. Good luck in your BMQ and future trade training.
I signed a form when I enrolled quoting that I have until Oct. 2025 to complete both BMQ and the training course.

Some courses can take up to 3 consecutive summers to get it all through, but most trades usually take one summer to complete. It all depends on your trades, but you do need to be available to complete your BMQ either during the following summer or the next part-time BMQ in the fall.

I signed a form when I enrolled quoting that I have until Oct. 2025 to complete both BMQ and the training course.

Some courses can take up to 3 consecutive summers to get it all through, but most trades usually take one summer to complete. It all depends on your trades, but you do need to be available to complete your BMQ either during the following summer or the next part-time BMQ in the fall.
And that's the caveat/exception I'm referring to. The member has to be available, but if the CAF cancels the course on them or they get injured and can't go on course, it is not held against them.

Back