• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

A Deeply Fractured US

I guess we’ll see, but it will be interesting to see how her case in Federal Court goes, or whether she pleads in that as well.
She’s not presently indicted in the federal Jan 6th case. She’s unindicted co-conspirator number 3 in that one. While some here have objected to speculation about who might flip, I think we can safely assume Jack Smith will keep tugging at these threads to turn coconspirators into cooperating witnesses. I won’t be surprised if we see some of the rest indicted soon in Washington.

Sidney Powell sold herself, now she has to sell others out of self preservation. Rats and ships…

Sidney Powell sold herself, now she has to sell others out of self preservation. Rats and ships…
Isn't that the way the system is designed, leveraging one against the other? It seems to me that helps a prosecutor do their job. There is nothing like a person involved in events to testify against others.
Here is a piece about federal plea bargaining.
Article Link
“Plea bargaining is a defining, if not the defining, feature of the federal criminal justice system” (Brown and Bunnell, 2006:1063)

Isn't that the way the system is designed, leveraging one against the other? It seems to me that helps a prosecutor do their job. There is nothing like a person involved in events to testify against others.
Here is a piece about federal plea bargaining.
Article Link

Completely agreed, at least in the case of the US (it happens here, it’s just a lot harder to pull the levers). I guess the takeaway is if you’re absolutely determined to do criminal conspiracy, make sure you’re not the one at the top, and be ready to make a quick exit while there’s still a relatively soft landing.

Completely agreed, at least in the case of the US (it happens here, it’s just a lot harder to pull the levers). I guess the takeaway is if you’re absolutely determined to do criminal conspiracy, make sure you’re not the one at the top, and be ready to make a quick exit while there’s still a relatively soft landing.
Thank you for that. I always look forward to your thoughts on these subjects.

I’m still wondering how anyone can support DJT at this point.
As more and more dominos come down, it’s pretty obvious that the biggest creature in the Swamp is he.
Well I’ll be - he didn’t actually intend to “drain the swamp”??!!?!!?!

The Wire Reaction GIF

Another update: a day after Powell’s guilty plea to misdemeanours, co-accused and former Trump lawyer Kenneth Chesebro has now plead guilty to a felony count of conspiracy to file false documents relating to the fake electors scheme.

Remember when I said yesterday that there would be more guilty pleas, with a diminishing rate of return? Exactly what we’ve seen here. And now the prosecution has two of Donald Trump’s lawyers pleading guilty and avoiding jail time in exchange for become State’s witnesses. Also notable that Powell and Chesebro participated in quite different facets of the larger overall conspiracy.

Next I suspect we are a number of the fake electors plead guilty for reduced sentences. They may not have as much to offer the prosecution, but will recognize they’re well and truly up a creek now. Classic ‘prisoner’s dilemma’ playing out in real time.

I had my memory cells jarred today.

Once upon a time, in a land far, far away an American presidential candidate campaigned successfully on no more foreign involvements. To be precise he declared that the US of A was out of the nation-building business.

During last year's presidential campaign, George W. Bush expressed contempt for "nation-building." In the October 3, 2000, debate, he warned: "If we don't stop extending our troops all around the world in nation-building missions, then we're going to have a serious problem coming down the road. I'm going to prevent that."
Then a bunch of middle eastern gentleman left their seats and flew themselves into the WTC and the Pentagon.

The cry went up. "Something must be done!"
And lo and behold the US of A was back in the nation-building business.

In 2007 some bankers overplayed their hands and collapsed the monetary system disgruntling a bunch of the international peasantry. In the US, by 2009, the disgruntled rallied around something called the Tea Party Movement. Much to the disdain on late night hosts who preferred to refer to it as the Tea Bag Movement.

In 2000 Americans were done with being the World's policeman. They hired a man who promised to get out of the game. They rallied around him when the Towers fell but after bleeding for 15 years they had had enough and looked for someone to get them and their kids back home.

In 2007 the Americans felt abused by government and bankers when they were losing their jobs and houses while bankers were made whole because they were too big to fail. They expressed there disgust by organizing and supporting the Tea Party Movement only to be laughed at and denigrated. Few friends were made.

Concurrent with this activity US workers saw their jobs threatened by, first the Canadians and Mexicans, then the Japanese (remember the 90's classic "Die Hard" and the Japanese employer) and then the Chinese.

It really is too easy to blame the current disconnect between unemployed workers and decision makers in Washington and Wall Street on one man.

A 2003 article.

Hope disappeared a long, long time ago....

Another domino falls in Georgia. Jenna Ellis, another member of Trump’s legal team, has taken a felony plea deal to falsely testifying in front of State officials. She’ll get probation, a fine, and the ability to clean her record as a first offender if she stays out of trouble going forward. The deal comes with a cooperation agreement.

Four out of 14 defendants have now plead guilty.

Another update: a day after Powell’s guilty plea to misdemeanours, co-accused and former Trump lawyer Kenneth Chesebro has now plead guilty to a felony count of conspiracy to file false documents relating to the fake electors scheme.

Remember when I said yesterday that there would be more guilty pleas, with a diminishing rate of return? Exactly what we’ve seen here. And now the prosecution has two of Donald Trump’s lawyers pleading guilty and avoiding jail time in exchange for become State’s witnesses. Also notable that Powell and Chesebro participated in quite different facets of the larger overall conspiracy.

Next I suspect we are a number of the fake electors plead guilty for reduced sentences. They may not have as much to offer the prosecution, but will recognize they’re well and truly up a creek now. Classic ‘prisoner’s dilemma’ playing out in real time.

You mean 'alleged conspiracy' right?

You mean 'alleged conspiracy' right?
No. The existence of a criminal conspiracy is now cemented in at least one guilty plea. What remains alleged is the specifics of certain fact sets as they pertain to certain co-accused who remain before the courts.

The car got stolen and burned. The guy who smashed the window and unlocked it told us that already. That’s not alleged. What’s alleged is who was behind the wheel, who had the jerry can of gas, and who threw the match.

Nothing is cemented by a guilty plea in the US, particularly one to much less than the full weight of charges. It's well-established that the US plea-bargaining system moves some people to plead out simply to avoid cost, stress, and a risk that a jury will throw a prosecutor a bone by finding guilt on one or two charges amidst a barrage of charges.

The only way to cement anything is to go to trial and prove it in court.

Nothing is cemented by a guilty plea in the US, particularly one to much less than the full weight of charges. It's well-established that the US plea-bargaining system moves some people to plead out simply to avoid cost, stress, and a risk that a jury will throw a prosecutor a bone by finding guilt on one or two charges amidst a barrage of charges.

The only way to cement anything is to go to trial and prove it in court.

Given that this entire part of the discussion is about criminal prosecutions, yes it is, in every way that matters, subject to the limitations I described. A conviction via guilty plea constitutes something being proven in court. It’s a conviction every bit as meaningful and consequential in every way as one delivered by a jury or a judge.

Given that this entire part of the discussion is about criminal prosecutions, yes it is, in every way that matters, subject to the limitations I described. A conviction via guilty plea constitutes something being proven in court. It’s a conviction every bit as meaningful and consequential in every way as one delivered by a jury or a judge.
Trump is innocent until proven guilty by the courts. Just because someone else flips and pleads guilty, whether true, false or to get a better deal, is not on Trump. Not until he has his day and his attorneys have a chance to exonerate him and question the floppers allegations in open court. Until his judgement comes down, his involvement into whatever they, the media and the prosecution say, is only alleged. Otherwise, as you contend, Trump needs no trial. Get a bunch of floppers to say he's guilty and it's all done.

Back