• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Service Pin

That sounds typical for the CAF, just like announcing you can wear mess dress with the "distinctive CAF Retiree Insignia" on the lower left sleeve of the mess dress jacket when you retire but don't actually have the insignia available (even in picture form).

I actually found a picture of it (see below).

Grandpa Boomer GIF by MOODMAN

Is there a minimum time in/rank requirement to receive one?
According to the CF Mil Pers Instr, if you completed Basic, you are entitled to one, be you Regular or Reserve if you are honourably releasing from the CAF. (For some reason, I can't include a snip of the policy here.)

Even if a member has barely served, their leadership should be marking their departure in some small way. It's just part of looking after your people.

Last edited:
Extract from the policy:

3.0 Operating Principles

3.1 General

The DWD program applies to all members who have completed Basic Military Qualification (BMQ) or
Basic Military Officer Qualification (BMOQ) and who will, in accordance with Queen's Regulations and
Orders (QR&O) article 15.01 (Release of Officers and Non-Commissioned Members) be honourably
released from the CAF. These eligibility factors also apply to members with a terminal prognosis, who
may request a Recognition of Service ceremony before they die. Entitlements for members not being
released honourably are detailed at section 3.2 (Limitations) of this instruction.
Administration & Training Service (COATS) or Canadian Rangers are entitled to only one ceremony
under the DWD program, on completion of their total service to these components or upon transfer to the
Supplementary Reserve (Supp Res).

While eligible CAF members are only entitled to one ceremony under the DWD program at the
conclusion of their CAF military career, CAF members who have initially released from the CAF are
entitled to a subsequent ceremony recognising their total cumulative Years Of Service (YOS), for
subsequent service to the CAF.

Note: "Years of Service", for the purpose of this instruction, is defined in the QR&O article 15.31
(Release of non-commissioned members - age and length of service).

3.2 Limitations

Members being released in accordance with QR&O article 15.01 (Release of Officers and Non-
Commissioned Members), Table to article 15.01 release items 1(a), 1(b), 1(c) or 1(d) - Misconduct and
release items 2(a) or 2(b) - Unsatisfactory Service, and members who have not completed their BMQ or
BMOQ, are not entitled to a ceremony under the DWD program but are entitled to receive a CF 707
Certificate of Service. These members, if in possession of the Canadian Forces Decoration (CD) at the
time of their release, are also eligible for the CF Service Pin. Eligibility conditions for the receipt of the
CF 707 Certificate of Service and the CF Service Pin are outlined at Annex A.

CF Mil Pers Instr 01/09 - DWD Program

This para is a touch confusing, because I've seen different interpretations during my time at NDHQ:

While eligible CAF members are only entitled to one ceremony under the DWD program at the
conclusion of their CAF military career, CAF members who have initially released from the CAF are
entitled to a subsequent ceremony recognising their total cumulative Years Of Service (YOS), for
subsequent service to the CAF.
So, AkA, I know you were Reg F, PRes, Reg F again, but never received a DWD. Using you as an example, you could've received a DWD at the conclusion of any one of those periods of service, but only once (as stated earlier, you didn't). However, since you released from the Reg F then joined the P Res, the bolded part of the para quoted leads me to infer that you could still be eligible to receive a second DWD when you hit CRA and get the boot as well, recognizing your total CAF career in all components?

Back