• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Federal Budget 2024 megathread

I'm one that's "moved away" from home ownership to renting, for at least the foreseeable future. Why? Because even on a six figure salary, I can't save money fast enough with all the financial kicks to the junk coming in hot and heavy to get a bloody down payment squared away.

I'd happily buy a single home on a nice big piece of land somewhere, but it's out of the question even though I'm nearly double the average Canadian salary last year. And they don't make single homes on nice big plots of land where the government tells me I have to live, not anymore. In fact, they bulldoze them as fast as they can to stack in condos and townhouses.

Would it be fair to say the current PM is the worst one Canada has ever saddled itself with?

He certainly does appear to have devastated the economy and the life prospects of your average Canadian.

I'm one that's "moved away" from home ownership to renting, for at least the foreseeable future. Why? Because even on a six figure salary, I can't save money fast enough with all the financial kicks to the junk coming in hot and heavy to get a bloody down payment squared away.

I'd happily buy a single home on a nice big piece of land somewhere, but it's out of the question even though I'm nearly double the average Canadian salary last year. And they don't make single homes on nice big plots of land where the government tells me I have to live, not anymore. In fact, they bulldoze them as fast as they can to stack in condos and townhouses.
It appears to be a willful enactment by the present government of the WEF prescription that private citizens should not own their own homes - or indeed any private property, really.

Doubtful. Private property includes residential and commercial holdings of people in government.
Well, yes, the people in government will quite naturally still be able to afford to own properties but..... under the present policies of said government the rest of us probably won't...

Last edited:
I get the impression you don’t like government employees. Why? You’ve mentioned that before.
I have no issue with government employees. I have an issue with government employees who have the fucking audacity to play down how shitty and hard the economy is at the hands of Trudeau. Your not living it, suffering from it, trying to plan through it only not having a clue what six months will be like.
All during COVID and even now, a government employee's pay check will be there. For us in the private sector, as a business owner, times are darker than ever. Like really fucking bleak. And same for a lot of my peers.

When I was a full time soldier, I knew where my pay came from. And having my two best friends were both business owners, I knew well enough to shut my mouth about economic up swings and down turns.

I have no issue with government employees. I have an issue with government employees who have the fucking audacity to play down how shitty and hard the economy is at the hands of Trudeau. Your not living it, suffering from it, trying to plan through it only not having a clue what six months will be like.
So tell me who is playing down the shitty economy? You are saying it’s a certain group here. Who exactly?

All during COVID and even now, a government employee's pay check will be there. For us in the private sector, as a business owner, times are darker than ever. Like really fucking bleak. And same for a lot of my peers.
Sure. And I sympathise and have never downplayed that. Why? Because when the CPC was in power last time I lost my job, my wife was out 30K from Phoenix and I know plenty of people that were affected by those shitty decisions who were close to losing their financial well being as well. Don’t think for a second that you have the monopoly and that sort of thing. So, sorry if it offends you but I’m leery about a guy that what was part of the team that brought that on. Not saying I’m decided on where to park my vote but I don’t like the kool aid on offer from both sides.
When I was a full time soldier, I knew where my pay came from. And having my two best friends were both business owners, I knew well enough to shut my mouth about economic up swings and down turns.
I know where my pay check comes from. If what people are posting here triggers you, go somewhere else. But No one here has downplayed or laughed off anyone suffering. But I guarantee when public sector jobs get cut, a few here will be high fiving and cheering that.

I know cuts are coming. It’s how they will be done that concerns me.

Were in a bad spot. Construction workers are getting laid off and housing construction is going down at the same time we dont have enough housing or money to pay for it.

Were in a bad spot. Construction workers are getting laid off and housing construction is going down at the same time we dont have enough housing or money to pay for it.
When people get laid off they likely find other work and will likely not go back to what they previously were doing.

When people get laid off they likely find other work and will likely not go back to what they previously were doing.
you can do that in a growing economy but that is not the intent of higher interest rates. Slowdown in housing is usually one of the first bad signs

It is. But being in Ontario. Fords opposition to 4 plexes etc is outrageous
Not just Ford's. We rejected here in Windsor also. We weren't enamoured when the feds told us where to build them. Like in the middle of a shopping street with the stores. Our mayor told them we'llo do it, but we'll decide where. Trudeau didn't like it and no funds for us. Strangely, the only and most vocal supporters of the project were our real estate people. Everyone else was against it.

Not just Ford's. We rejected here in Windsor also. We weren't enamoured when the feds told us where to build them. Like in the middle of a shopping street with the stores. Our mayor told them we'llo do it, but we'll decide where. Trudeau didn't like it and no funds for us. Strangely, the only and most vocal supporters of the project were our real estate people. Everyone else was against it.
Which is a huge issue with the Feds waving money around with a “do it our way, or the highway” bribery methodology to their benevolence.

Like I would trust Housing Minister Sean Fraser…he was a flaming pile as Immigration Minister, and isn’t any better in the housing portfolio. It was on his watch as Minister of Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship, with all his and the Government's promises to bring her to Canada, that Afghan female MP Mursal Nibizada was killed by Taliban.

The current government should in no way be surprised that the majority of Canadians these days simply don’t trust anything they say or promise.

Back