• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Canadian Surface Combatant RFQ

Stay Quiet Top Secret GIF by Amanda Cee Media

:sneaky:

I'm confident that its a no. @Lumber is taking the piss.

New tribal class had a strong arguement with the ship naming committee. There was also First Nations Advisory counsel representation on that committee. I have a clue as to the results though, only that the recommendations have been submitted to the Gov't.
It's hard to tell with the RCN somedays.

I'm optimistic we'll get another Tribal class with FN buy in, but also wouldn't be surprised if we went with something inherently taupe with crests and mottos to match.

HMCS Beige - 'Forever forgettable'
HMCS Buff - 'Bland is best'
HMCS Ecru - 'Meh'

I'm optimistic we'll get another Tribal class with FN buy in, but also wouldn't be surprised if we went with something inherently taupe with crests and mottos to match.

HMCS Ecru - 'Meh'
Take my word for it, you’ll be pleasantly surprised.

My choices would be the following HMCS' : Wendat (Huron), Algonquin, Denesuline (Athabaskan), Mohawk (Iroquois), Nootka (Nootka), Mi'gMak (Micmac), Cayuga (Cayuga), Inuit (Eskimo), Abenaki, Metis, Cree, Sioux (Sioux), Dakota, Onondaga and Ojibwa (both claiming the honours of the O Boat they take the name of but with badges based on them but reflecting their surface ship character.)

Last edited:
My choices would be the following HMCS' : Wendat (Huron), Algonquin, Denesuline (Athabaskan), Mohawk (Iroquois), Nootka (Nootka), Mi'gMak (Micmac), Cayuga (Cayuga), Inuit (Eskimo), Abenaki, Metis, Cree, Sioux (Sioux), Dakota, Onondaga and Ojibwa (both claiming the honours of the O Boat they take the name of but with badges based on them but reflecting their surface ship character.)
I like these. Those updated names for Iroquois, Huron and Algonquin could assume the battle honours of the previous ships, so maybe find a new name for Athabaskan?

HMCS Ecru - 'Meh'

Stand back The Buffs, hold back the Greys and let the Devons through!

The Buffs (Royal East Kent Regiment), formerly the 3rd Regiment of Foot, was a line infantry regiment of the British Army traditionally raised in the English county of Kent and garrisoned at Canterbury. It had a history dating back to 1572

1716221721267.png

I hope is that the namesake of the class is HMCS Haida, I cannot think of a more fitting namesake for Canada's most capable class of modern surface combatants. The Royal Navy has reused HMS Belfast for one of their own Type 26 frigates and since HMCS Haida isn't actually commissioned, I think it would be entirely possible.

The main thing though is having proper consultation with each group and making a clear decision on what they want their people to be referred to on the namesake.

Love to see HMCS Beothuk used myself
Not sure how that one would go over with existing groups, I feel the Navy would not want to push out an existing previous namesake or a group that actually exists in order to give a namesake to a people who no longer are with us.

I like these. Those updated names for Iroquois, Huron and Algonquin could assume the battle honours of the previous ships, so maybe find a new name for Athabaskan?

Algonquin is actually more of a grouping of first nations that shared a roaming territory centered around the great lakes and East coast and shares a near common language than an actual specific first nation. Technically, the Iroquois (who are included in the Algonquin language family), who actually call themselves Haudenosaunee, are also a confederacy of five, later six, nations. I picked the Mohawk to get the Iroquois' honours because the Onondagas and Cayugas already have their own, even though they are "Iroquois" also.

I hope is that the namesake of the class is HMCS Haida, I cannot think of a more fitting namesake for Canada's most capable class of modern surface combatants.

I don't. The Haida nation, of all of Canada's first nations, is the one that has the most oceanic centric culture and tradition. They are sea people. As such they are the best representation of Canada's Navy and, IMHO, are best represented by continued use of the current HMCS Haida as a National Historic Site, and more importantly, as the RCN's Ceremonial Flagship.

I don't. The Haida nation, of all of Canada's first nations, is the one that has the most oceanic centric culture and tradition. They are sea people. As such they are the best representation of Canada's Navy and, IMHO, are best represented by continued use of the current HMCS Haida as a National Historic Site, and more importantly, as the RCN's Ceremonial Flagship.
I don't agree with relegating the name of Canada's most famous fighting vessel and one of the most relevant Indigenous groups to a museum ship in perpetuity. Utilizing the namesake again on a new vessel detracts nothing from the existing vessel as a National Historic Site and as the RCN's ceremonial flagship. It is tradition throughout various Navy's to continually reuse worthy and relevant vessel names in order to perpetuate their history, I do not see why Haida's name must collect dust and be unable to gather future battle honors, distinctions and be an active part of the RCN for decades to come. The connection to previous vessels through a namesake is one of the many things which make these perpetually utilized names valuable, both the old and new HMCS Haida would attract interest to one another and complement each other well.

Well, here's a ship that is still in commission in the UK to play exactly the same role : HMS VICTORY. Her name will never be used again, and the honour will be hers in perpetuity.

Back