• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Your Favorite Quote

Spr.Earl

Army.ca Veteran
Inactive
Reaction score
WE TRAINED HARD, AND IT SEEMS EVERY TIME WE WERE BEGINNING TO FORM TEAMS WE WERE RE‑ORGANISED. I WAS TO LEARN IN LIFE THAT WE TEND TO MEET EVERY SITUATION BY RE‑ORGANISATION, AND IT IS A WONDERFUL METHOD OF CREATING THE ILLUSION OF PROGRESS WHILE PRODUCING INEFFICIENCY AND DEMORALISATION.

GARIUS PETRONIUS ARBITER

(Roman Governor at the time of Nero, 65 B.C.)

I decided to raid my personal list of favorite quotes for a few of these:

"To save the world you asked this man to die. Would this man, could he see you now, ask why?"
-Unknown, World War I

"When we fired, the Germans ducked. When the Germans fired, we ducked. When the Americans fired, everybody ducked!"
-Unknown, World War II

"Wars, conflict, it‘s all business. One murder makes a villain. Millions a hero. Numbers sanctify."
-Unknown

"Alliance: In International politics, the union of two thieves who have their hands so deeply inserted in each other‘s pocket that they cannot separately plunder a third."
-Ambrose Bierce, The Devils Dictionary

"Peace: In International affairs, a period of cheating between two periods of fighting."

-Ambrose Bierce, The Devils Dictionary

"The quickest way of ending a war is to lose it."
-Unknown

"The Pope!? How many divisions has HE got?"
-Joseph Stalin

"There won‘t be any revolution in America...The people are too clean. They spend all their time changing shirts and washing themselves. You can‘t feel fierce and revolutionary in a bathroom."
-Joseph Stalin

"Only the Dead Have Seen the End of War..."
-When We Were Soldiers, original quote?

"Charlie Don‘t Surf!"
-Robert Duval in Apocalypse Now

"Suffering Builds Tolerance, and Pain Builds Character."
-Every Single ex.Airborne NCM should know this,
it was in one of the old trng rooms in the old Airborne garrison building, where all of my old
Phase instructors recalled lovingly how they hanged from the harness on their nut‘s, just staring at the sign, while suffering for hours on end, during static line training....Youch!!!

-Thanks Sgt. Lecler, Wo Lockyear, Wo Jule, Sgt Neilson, and MacClain.

you guys were great.

"Look, these people, they have no jobs, no food, no education, no future. I just figure that we have two things we can do. Help, or we can sit back and watch a country destroy itself on CNN."
-Eversmann in Black Hawk Down

"I may be compelled to face danger, but never fear it, and while our soldiers can stand and fight, I can stand and feed and nurse them."
- Clara Barton

And a few others I‘ve heard:

"It is the soldier, not the poet, who gives us freedom of speech. It is the soldier, not the reporter, who gives us freedom of the press. It is the soldier, not the campus organizer, who gives us freedom to protest. It is the soldier who serves beneath the flag, who salutes the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag, who gives the demonstrator the right to burn the flag."
-Stephen Ambrose

^^^ Although that is a bit of an exaggeration. There are people from all walks of life who make that possible, including the soldier. :)

"It is better to die on your feet than to live on your knees."
-Dolores Ibarruri

"The duties of an officer are the safety, honor, and welfare of your country first; the honor, welfare, and comfort of the men in your command second; and the officer‘s own ease, comfort, and safety last."

Hello this is my first post on these forums. Since I have signed up this is the first post to catch my interest. My favourite war quote would be:

Speirs:"You know why you hid in that ditch Blithe?"

Blithe:"Scared."

Speirs:"We‘re all scared. You hid in that ditch because you think there‘s still hope. But Blithe, the only hope that you have is to accept the fact that you‘re already dead and the sooner you accept that, the sooner you will be able to function as a soldier‘s suppose to. Without mercy, without compassion, without remorse. All war depends upon it."
Lt. Speirs from Band of Brothers episode Three "Carentan"
Speirs was my favourite soldier throughout the series. I especially liked it when he pistol whipped the replacement who shot sargeant Grant in the last episode, "Points."

Speirs to the beaten captured replacement:"Where‘s the weapon?"

Replacement:"What Weapon?"
(>>>>>>>>>Pistol Whip from Speirs<<<<<<<<<)

Speirs:"When you talk to an officer you say sir!"

Sorry I had to add that.
I can not remember any other favourite quotes at the time.

"death is as light as a feather, duty is as heavy as a mountian"
japanese bushido creedo.

" APDS-FS, reach out and touch someone"

"death is as light as a feather, duty is as heavy as a mountian"
japanese bushido creedo.

I like‘s that one,good one zipper.

If we are taking lines from movies, I‘d like to mention the narration from PLATOON as they enter the "suspected VC" village, shortly after losing 3 men.

"The village, which had stood for maybe a thousand years, didn‘t know we were coming that day. If they had, they would have run. Barnes was at the eye of our rage, and through him, our Captain Ahab, we would set things right again, that day.....we loved him."

I saw a post earlier that said something to the effect that this was a great movie barring this "village" scene. Personaly I believe the village scene is the very heart of the film. So much is said in the scene that you need to see on your own, or even watch the dvd and listen to Oliver Stone‘s, or Ret. Cpt Dale Dye‘s commentary on the scene. It was definately not just gratuitous violence, there was a message.

The later reactions of some of the characters makes you think as well.

Junior, after participating in the rape of a village girl, seems to feel that Barnes‘ actions were "unchristian"

Barnes, claiming innocence to any crime, claiming he did the right thing, later murders Elias.

The Lt., the one guy who can really make the difference as to who‘s story is believed, sides with Barnes.

Chris Taylor, murdering Barnes in the end.

Its all been considered, it all has meaning, and that‘s what makes this a fascinating movie. When the DVD came out, and I heard the commentaries, I realised so much more about the effort they made to bring realism to the project. Did anyone know that some of the characters are wearing the N.V.A regular‘s belt buckle, which was an actual highly sought after trophy item during the war? If you look close enough you can see it in a few shots. There is a bunch more stuff like that.

Back