• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Yelling at BMQ

There was a dude working offshore in the UK who just never quite fit in. He was one of those, "don't talk to me that way" types, even when he wasn't being treated poorly, or any differently than others. I know that great lengths were gone to in order to try and make him feel as if he was not being singled out. And that impacts every facet of unit cohesion. As one would expect, he got a few nicknames, none of them at all flattering.

Then one day while working on the decks, during cargo ops, he wandered in among a lift - something that is a no-no. Because there was a swinging container and he was in the swing path, the banksman (dude in charge of the lift) hollered at him to get the fuck out of the way. Mr. You-have-to-be-nice-to-me stopped and stared at the banksman and screamed, "You can't talk to people like that!" He got the last word out of his mouth just prior to being knocked on his righteously indignant arse thus causing a medevac to treat tremendous butthurt.

In his dismissal meeting, it was noted he had crossed a barrier, in and of itself an extreme no-no. That could have been forgivable if not for the tremendous piss poor attitude he showed when someone yelled at him in attempt to spare him harm! He was the root cause of his injury, in more than one way.

And not a single fuck was given when he hit the unemployment line.

I was exposed to ( occupational ) extreme screaming on a routine basis for many years. I learned that you can actually tune it out, to a certain extent. I believe the experts called it, "selective hearing".  :)

ShoddyGunner said:
Fair point. Though I admitted from the beginning I "have" a problem with getting yelled at (thus wanted clarification so I'd know whether it's to an extent/in a way I can handle, which it sounds like it definitely is).

Keep a log of all the expressions you hear from the instructors.

Really. They are priceless.

I wish I had done that... it would be a best seller. Or sound evidence :)

mariomike said:
I was exposed to ( occupational ) extreme screaming on a routine basis for many years. I learned that you can actually tune it out, to a certain extent. I believe the experts called it, "selective hearing".  :)

mm - you're male, so therefore selective hearing is what an ex-gf of mine would call a "chromosomal defect of being male"

I seem to remember a short intro to "voice culture" on my Junior Leadership Course, so that we could ensure we were being heard clearly on the parade square over all the other rabble going on...this comes into play later in the military life for ensuring those around you can hear commands over the ambient noise of a battle going on.  It is how old school RSM's can launch into a tirade at someone 100m away that can be clearly heard for an entire grid square...only funny until he remembers he's in public and there are little kiddly widdlies and their non-military minders on the sport's field when they call someone a f&*king dummy that needs to sort his shyte out.

MM

medicineman said:
mm - you're male, so therefore selective hearing is what an ex-gf of mine would call a "chromosomal defect of being male"

MM - Do you mean like this?  :)

Scott said:
There was a dude working offshore in the UK who just never quite fit in. He was one of those, "don't talk to me that way" types, even when he wasn't being treated poorly, or any differently than others. I know that great lengths were gone to in order to try and make him feel as if he was not being singled out. And that impacts every facet of unit cohesion. As one would expect, he got a few nicknames, none of them at all flattering.

Then one day while working on the decks, during cargo ops, he wandered in among a lift - something that is a no-no. Because there was a swinging container and he was in the swing path, the banksman (dude in charge of the lift) hollered at him to get the frig out of the way. Mr. You-have-to-be-nice-to-me stopped and stared at the banksman and screamed, "You can't talk to people like that!" He got the last word out of his mouth just prior to being knocked on his righteously indignant arse thus causing a medevac to treat tremendous butthurt.

In his dismissal meeting, it was noted he had crossed a barrier, in and of itself an extreme no-no. That could have been forgivable if not for the tremendous piss poor attitude he showed when someone yelled at him in attempt to spare him harm! He was the root cause of his injury, in more than one way.

And not a single frig was given when he hit the unemployment line.

I couldn't contain myself after reading that story!I knew there were people like this, but I wouldn't expect them to make it into the military. I know you mentioned he was dismissed, but how long was he in the military?

We don't yell - we correct people who are making mistakes by sternly advising them of the performance, the fault and the remedy.

I once directed a unit to fall in  - and one brand new recruit fainted....

Chuck Norris - take that!

daftandbarmy said:
Keep a log of all the expressions you hear from the instructors.

Really. They are priceless.

I wish I had done that... it would be a best seller. Or sound evidence :)
Or an aide-memoire for future tasks ...

Hamish Seggie said:
We don't yell - we correct people who are making mistakes by sternly advising them of the performance, the fault and the remedy.

I once directed a unit to fall in  - and one brand new recruit fainted....

Chuck Norris - take that!

Did you eat garlic before that... ;D

luttrellfan said:
I couldn't contain myself after reading that story!I knew there were people like this, but I wouldn't expect them to make it into the military. I know you mentioned he was dismissed, but how long was he in the military?

He was not in the military.  Scott works on Oil Rigs in the North Sea and other locations.

It's kind of humorous to joke about yelling at BMQ of course but there ARE candidates that show up with stories how they just can't be yelled at because of abuse from when they were younger. Or candidates that HAVE to carry a bottle of water on PT because they get a dry mouth. Or they just can't run because of <insert un-documented medical condition>. And of course the dire NEED to have their cellphone because their girlfriends dog is sick.

IMO it's good to see the OP actually ask about it (and get some ribbing in the process) than just show up expecting to be catered to.

Jarnhamar said:
IMO it's good to see the OP actually ask about it (and get some ribbing in the process) than just show up expecting to be catered to.

WHAT!  No tennis courts, golf course and sailing club?  What will Pte Benjamin do?

Jarnhamar said:
It's kind of humorous to joke about yelling at BMQ of course but there ARE candidates that show up with stories how they just can't be yelled at because of abuse from when they were younger. Or candidates that HAVE to carry a bottle of water on PT because they get a dry mouth. Or they just can't run because of <insert un-documented medical condition>. And of course the dire NEED to have their cellphone because their girlfriends dog is sick.

...and I used to enjoy the look on their face when they realized I didn't care about their mamby-pamby personal requirements... ;D

George Wallace said:
WHAT!  No tennis courts, golf course and sailing club?  What will Pte Benjamin do?

Get used to it, same as Mr Jones did?  :)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sLgAbgEjMG0

luttrellfan said:

Yeah, not military happenings. I suppose he could have been Brit military at one time, but I have my doubts. Just sharing that yelling has a time, place and effect. Being a thud has effects, too.

George Wallace said:
He was not in the military.  Scott works on Oil Rigs in the North Sea and other locations.

Scott said:
Yeah, not military happenings. I suppose he could have been Brit military at one time, but I have my doubts. Just sharing that yelling has a time, place and effect. Being a thud has effects, too.

Oh, I see. It was still a pretty funny story.

I'm not if this true or not, but I heard that in the mid 1990s, recruits in St Jean will allowed to show a red or yellow card to the instructors to display their fragile emotional state.  The card meant that they (the individual recruit in question) was very stressed and had to be left alone to recover.

When I heard that I tried to use the same tactic to my superiors and all I got was a well deserved figurative kick in the behind for being a stupid smartass.

Happy Guy said:
I'm not if this true or not, but I heard that in the mid 1990s, recruits in St Jean will allowed to show a red or yellow card to the instructors to display their fragile emotional state. 

yellow cards? red cards?
http://army.ca/forums/threads/104402.0

Wilamanjaro said:
I work with a Vet. and he still has his buddies in the military. He heard through his source that they are incorporating "soccer-like' yellow and red cards? Apparently if the guy bossing you around is getting on your nerves you pull out a yellow card and stick it right in his face to convey the message that you are unhappy with the way he is treating you. You slap him with a red card if he has gone too far and you "no longer wish to have him in your face."

Claim:  Military recruits in basic training are issued "stress cards," which when waved at demanding drill sergeants immediately entitle those recruits to gentler treatment.
http://www.snopes.com/military/stresscards.asp

Back