• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Wounded warrior: "Ottawa dropped ball on benefits"

Dragone said:
To be blunt if this is an emotional forum please get your oath out a read it again..an oath is an oath and a land mine is a land mine.

I don't get it. Please clarify this as it seems a tad retarded.

Dragone,

The only reason people want to know where you're coming from is so that they may phrase their responses and counter-arguments accordingly.  If you're a current/former soldier then they will reply differently than if you are Joe Blo off the street or Mr. Government.  If you are military they may try and find out how you worked around certain roadblocks whereas if you're government they may ask for more in depth information on this topic.  If you're 'every day Canadian' they may try to educate you on how this system affects them.

Please, indulge us with your background.

Dragone said:
To be blunt if this is an emotional forum please get your oath out a read it again..an oath is an oath and a land mine is a land mine.

To be blunt, it is very very clear that you have not read other posts on this subject.  Posts written by members of this forum whom have had to struggle with VAC for various reasons.  Posts from those most affected who have complaints, which the likes of you can not be bothered to address.

Before you continue to dig.  Use the search function, and do some reading.  Find out the reasoning for so many members of this forum to view the VAC and the NVC as nothing more then a cheap band-aid solution to a major problem.

ETA:  Perception is a mother.  There are parts of the NVC that are far superior to the old system, whereas other areas still need a fair bit of work (well and good to re-educate someone injured for a new job... How do we address those that view service as more then just a job? For many, the service is FAMILY). This however does not change that communicating the system is seriously flawed compounded by the on-going issues of members dealings with the VAC.

ArmyVern said:
My spin on the above spin?? Both are exactly right and neither is wrong.

That is why the Charter had to change; exactly because things like job re-training etc were sorely lacking. Problem is, they now pay for that re-training etc with the "left-over" monies they saved by cutting out the monthly pension when, in actuality BOTH are and were required. They fixed and paid for the lacking bit of the old system by taking away a required bit from the new system.

I totally concur with your first sentence.

If your second statement is true, it sounds like the NVC is only going halfway.  My biggest concern when I heard out the briefing was the "cut and run" aspect.  Okay, soldier X with a serious disability gets rehabilitated and finds a job as whatever on the civilian market.  It seems that many of the benefits cease at that point and VAC is on its way.  Now say 3 years later this guy is without a job for reasons beyond his control - with a serious disability, he's going to have a more difficult time on the job market, regardless of the Employment Equity Act. 

Will VAC resume benefits as a safety net?  At the very least, the old injury pension was a reliable safety net for a veteran.  Now what do they have?

As well, what happens to pension contributions for wounded members - if they are medically released are they just cashed out if they haven't hit eligibility yet?

Infanteer said:
As well, what happens to pension contributions for wounded members - if they are medically released are they just cashed out if they haven't hit eligibility yet?

Vesting is after 2 years now; medical release results in an immediate indexed annuity.

That being said, a two year pension would be minimal.

The NVC wouldn't be such a bad package if they had left the Pension Act disability pension intact (which was an award for pain and suffering, and not an income replacement vehicle - according to the the interpretation of the first CF Ombudsman).  Of course, that would have cost the government even more money, and would've defeated the aim of the NVC, which most would argue was to save the gov't money!  ;D

"I'd have been better off dead, maybe. My kids don't think so, but I don't know." Major Mark Campbell is a frustrated soldier. He came back from Afghanistan without any legs and suffering several other effects of an ambush attack. Now Campbell is fighting a new battle, for better care for soldiers with long-term disabilities.

Here is Major Campbell, in his own words..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VqqbSy_rD-4

Does any of that fancy SISIP insurance that they throw in your face during the DAG process cover disabling injuries, or does it only cover death.

It does cover disability if you fit the requirements. You are then screened regularly to ensure your still messed up.

dogger1936 said:
You are then screened regularly to ensure your still messed up.

How about all the paperwork that SISIP and VAC send to you to fill out almost constantly because they never received it the last time?
I help out a friend of mine with reading, understanding and sending off all his SISIP and VAC paperwork, and even for me, it just doesn't read properly and the treatment, at times, is just appalling. I don't know how some of you can keep your cool when having to deal with the BS that is involved in this system.

The whole system is designed, and operated, to make you give up and go away.

recceguy said:

+100. If only we could utilize all that hair that people have ripped out of their heads whilst dealing with VAC to fuel our cars ...

recceguy said:
The one-line executive summary - bang on.

Recceguy is 100% right. If your not your own advocate and research and beg and argue; they will mess you over. I am currently being medically released and have already ran into a system that is designed to make you so irate that youjust give up. I've gave up on many things IRT VAC but was lucky to have friends to help when I could no longer deal with it. I've never felt like such a number or such a beggar in my life. I have never been on welfare as i've been in the military since the day I could work; however I assume the treatment is similar.

They don't give you answers which really add's a ton of stress to your life. being told you cannot be approved for permant impairment allowance until you release. Earnings loss benifits to be done after release...How about let me know what I have to scrape by on please!!

JPSU's are also hit and miss depending who's section you land in. I personally don't have the metal capacity to research all this stuff. I get confused easy and angry easy. I need help.

I don't expect anything to change. The new veterans charter is here to stay I figure. I strongly urge soldiers who are joining up now to look at what you get if injured cause it can happen to you.

So much for the days when being a veteran you were still treated with respect. I'm sick of feeling like a welfare case. i'm a hard working man with mental and physical injuries. I had always though my country would look after me if this stuff happened; hence why I always deployed and did what ever was required. Looking back now it certainly wasn't worth it.

recceguy said:

It definitely is. I applied for benefits based on an injury that happened my first year. I would have done it right away if I'd know while everything was fresh, but I didn't realize that at the time. Trying to gather all the documentation was frustrating enough, but if you don't built an absolutely ridiculous case then you're going to get nowhere. I wasn't even looking for much. I'd like the orthotics I need covered by VAC because I'm Cl A so getting them though CFMS isn't really viable. I eventually simply threw my hands up and walked away.

dogger1936 said:
I've never felt like such a number or such a beggar in my life. I have never been on welfare as i've been in the military since the day I could work; however I assume the treatment is similar.

you would assume wrong from the people I and my wife know.  Welfare is a lot easier to get on and once there a lot easier to get things out of.  For example one woman we knew on welfare also recieved daycare for her son so she could have time away from all the stress in her life. She was then able to spend all day watching TV.  All the ones we know get dental coverage for their families that include yearly check ups, fillings, braces, etc.  My understanding from what they have told us is they get full dental coverage as long as the dentist signs stating the treatment is needed.  A married couple we knew both obtained jobs at a fast food joint (cant recall which one) plus were still paid a part of their welfare.  One was fired so the other quit and full benefits were reinstated.

I realize not all people will have it this easy but for the most part it is not too hard to get started.  Basic requirements is to be a single mother.  After that it gets harder.  The hardest is a young single male with no children.

Personally from the posts I have read this country takes better care of those on welfare than it does of our Vets and has done so for a long time now.

dogger1936 said:
They don't give you answers which really add's a ton of stress to your life. being told you cannot be approved for permant impairment allowance until you release. Earnings loss benifits to be done after release...How about let me know what I have to scrape by on please!!

I have been helping my friend with all the PIA paperwork as of late and I do know how frustrating it must be for you (I have endured many a long and angry conversation with my friend over those frustrations). We submitted it after we read the newest PIA amended doc's from VAC and then, after waiting for something to come, my friend decided to call them. As was expected, they never received it, so we resent it registered mail.

If you would like a copy of it, PM me your email address and I will send it to you.
It helped us a ton!!

Keep fighting and don't give up!! You deserve it!!

Your not wrong there CountDC.

I just hate the fact I have to cross my fingers and await to see if I qualify for PIA and earnings loss benefits. No one tells you that stuff apparently until your release is done. IMHO its very wrong. how is a father suppose to know what his ability to support his family will be.Why cant all this be set up BEFORE release and have it effective day of release? By the time I release I will be a sgt for 5 years with 15 years in. I'm being released from tour injuries. And because of this I will now have to look at my tiny 15 year pension as my income and hope and pray I qualify under their terms for the rest.

My shrink sent over my reports to VAC and they lost it...twice. No one seems to know where protected personal info now lies. Apparently it made it to the building but went missing inside....twice. Unacceptable.

I'm honestly sick of jumping through hoops. i'm sick I'm injured why cant they just give me peace of mind that my family (who are my everything) will be taken care of. I thought me and canada  had an agreement. I'd go fight their wars to the point of death without question. And that if i got messed up they would take care of me. They dont. No one gives a crap about you. Your treated like a bum. I earned a disability payment that wasnt a "bad back" or fraudulent b/s my cf-98 describe gruesome shit as proof of day whatever over there.

If anyone in the media is reading any of this please let the public know and please MP's of all parties please give us the dignity and respect I believe we deserve. I done my part now it's time for the government to step up and do their part.

Back