• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Word Origins

canuckle_head

Inactive
Reaction score
Can anyone tell me the origin of the term Ack-Ack? I'm instructing a Basic patrolling class, and want to know where that term came from

ack=acknowledged

But ack-ack?  I have visions of "Mars Attacks" running through my head.

canuckle_head said:
Can anyone tell me the origin of the term Ack-Ack? I'm instructing a Basic patrolling class, and want to know where that term came from
Ah, yes, Ack-Ack formation.  I had never thought about this.  Also known as "loose file", but why "Ack-Ack"?  Now you've got me thinking.....and that's a dangerous thing for an early monday morning!!!!

Just a little more info, in my old unit, we would refer to a loose file as Ack-Ack formation and wanted to know if there was any reason as to why.

canuckle_head said:
Just a little more info, in my old unit, we would refer to a loose file as Ack-Ack formation and wanted to know if there was any reason as to why.
I've heard both terms used for the same formation, and I too have no reason why "Ack-Ack" was used...

(I know, my post adds no value, but there it is...)

And why are some of the ack ack delivery systems called pom poms? ???

Silly theory I might as well throw out.

But many older Anti-aircraft guns with twin barrels fired alternating( left right left right), so maybe that is how the terms are connected.

WNUS_4cm-56_mk12_Hornet_pic.jpg

canuckle_head said:

Like TV, I've also heard the term used for a loose file formation.  I've never seen anything written or official about the origin of the term in that context; in fact I don't recall ever seeing "ack-ack" used in any CF publication dealing with infantry tactics, patrolling or troop movement.  However, I do recall (during BOTC or Infantry Phase 2?) someone asking a similiar question of the DS; the answer (I think but we may have been eating from aluminiun mess tins) was that in a "loose file" it was easier to disperse if the formation came under air attack or observation.  However, don't quote me.

canuckle_head said:

in the age of dinosaurs................

Actually it was explained to me as a take off of the ack ack guns (re: pom poms) where there is alternating. In the case of a loose formation the troops are not only spaced longitudinally, but alternately (envision going down a roadway where every second troop is on one side of the road, the other on the other side)....

or it could be they ran out of ammunition and got tired of saying bang bang...... ;D

Blackadder1916 said:
.... I do recall (during BOTC or Infantry Phase 2?) someone asking a similiar question of the DS; the answer (I think but we may have been eating from aluminiun mess tins) was that in a "loose file" it was easier to disperse if the formation came under air attack or observation ....
I recall, from the late 70's, a similar explanation.

57Chevy said:
"ack-ack" (from the World War I phonetic alphabet for AA)
Anti-aircraft warfare
from the link:
Nicknames for anti-aircraft guns include AA, AAA or triple-A, an abbreviation of anti-aircraft artillery, "ack-ack" (from the World War I phonetic alphabet for AA),

example:
We left Midway at exactly 4:45 am flying in a formation of 12 planes. ... All hell seemed to be breaking loose on the ground as ack ack guns cut loose at us ...
so IMHO that would be its origin.

You could also submit a request to determine the origin from here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9w--lHv-9q0&feature=related

I would posit that it's one of those usages of onomatopoeia.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Onomatopoeia
Much the same as bang, bang.

CEEBEE501 said:
Silly theory I might as well throw out.

But many older Anti-aircraft guns with twin barrels fired alternating( left right left right), so maybe that is how the terms are connected.

I've always believed this was the reason for the name as well. Does anyone know when the term started being used?

Back