• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Will the army match RRSP contributions in the full time forces.

George,

Good point, I often forget that because I joined at age 21.

DAP,

I am at home and can't access your link but looking at the excerpt you provide I wonder where an IE20 member falls in there.

"A member will be entitled to an immediate annuity under the following conditions:
25+ years of paid CF service, "

I assume this applies to an IE25

A member on an IE20 would receive this immediate annuity after 20 years (assuming they had already reached age 40). So I can see doing your IE 20 and converting to a CE of up to 5 years would probably put you on a IE25 with an immediate annuity.  However,  my understanding was that once you convert to IPS, the following applies;

"age 55+ with 30 or more years of pensionable service,"

Is there some grey area in between the IE20 old plan and IE25 new plan, even if one signs their IPS, that I am overlooking?

Again I want to be wrong here! ;D

x-zipperhead:  Glad to be showing you wrong again.

The new pension regieme explicitly delinks TOS and pension eligibility.  Year of full-time service and years of pensionable service are now the determinants, not IE,IPS, CE or CBEPBS (Variable Basic Extended Period of Bureaucratic Service).

Sorry for the intranet link; how about this one instead (FAQ)

http://www.forces.gc.ca/dgcb/cfpmp/engraph/faq_e.asp?sidesection=5

or this example:

http://www.forces.gc.ca/dgcb/cfpmp/engraph/faq_examples_e.asp?sidesection=5#example4

Hope these clarify things a bit more.

Thanks DAP.  I do appreciate being shown I'm wrong again in this case. 

Thanks for the links.

Something doesn't sound quite right here, from what I'm reading - or maybe I'm just misreading it and saying the same thing in a different way.

From what I saw the younger fellas I work with go through, this is how it worked.  I won't get into the officer side of things because I don't know a lot about it, nor do I have much interest in looking it up.

If a NCM had not signed an IE20 prior to the implementation date of the new pension plan (1 May 05), then the member was offered an IE25.

If a NCM had signed an IE20 prior to the implementation date of the new pension plan, then the terms of that IE20 were honoured.  The member could be offered/accept a CE or IPS at the 1st and 2nd look points in their career, but it would not affect their right to an immediate annuity based on the 20 years of service they completed under the IE20.

George Wallace said:
Now REMEMBER, under to 'old plan' it WAS NOT simply 20 years of Service.  It was the 20/40 plan.  You did 20 years of Service, or served until you were 40, whichever came last.  If you joined when you were 18, you would have had the option to serve 22 years under that old plan. 

That's actually the 'old old plan', George.  I joined in 1985, and the 20/40 was offered to people before I joined.  I joined under ORCDP, which I think was the successor to the 20/40 plan.

284_226 said:
If a NCM had not signed an IE20 prior to the implementation date of the new pension plan (1 May 05), then the member was offered an IE25.

This is correct I beleive.  BTW, I don't think there is any difference between officers and NCMs, it is the same plan - CFSA

284_226 said:
If a NCM had signed an IE20 prior to the implementation date of the new pension plan, then the terms of that IE20 were honoured. 

This is correct but they must release at the end of the IE 20, according to Question 29 in the FAQ's on the first link dapaterson provided

284_226 said:
  The member could be offered/accept a CE or IPS at the 1st and 2nd look points in their career, but it would not affect their right to an immediate annuity based on the 20 years of service they completed under the IE20.

The way I understand it they may finish their IE20 and release and receive their immediate unreduced benefit.  If they don't release then the IE20 they were serving under is out the window, however, it is a moot point.  As dapaterson pointed out pension benefits are no longer tied to TOS under the new plan.  Under the new plan you are entitled to an immediate unreduced pension at 25 years or more of service anyway.  The answer to question 9 in FAQ's of that same link clears it up quite well. 

Back