• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Why do we Run ??

poko

Inactive
Reaction score
I can say i been in for 4 year and in that time the only PT we have done was running, ruck march, and circuit trainning. Nice and all but why does the canadien force does not make Self defance/ hand to hand combat  part of the regular PT.  What i get from this is that if there ever a enemy that want to fight with me i was not train to fight but to run away.  ???

I think you're definitely looking at it the wrong way if you see PT in running as fleeing from the battlfield. What is more likely to allow you to consistently close with and destroy the enemy, the fact that you can kill a man with your thumb, or the stamina to withstand a weeks worth of marching in a warzone? I am speaking not out of experience with what I am about to say, so bear with me, but if you're in the mountains of Afghanistan, who is going to be the more competent and switched on soldier, the one who practices hand to hand, or the one so well trained and in shape that he will be able to fight the good fight with the enemy once detected. I am serious when I say I am looking for the man next to me to be able to keep up, and not die carrying the C6 to it's position, because he can't hack it. Makes for an overall loss of ability if one does not keep in shape. There will always be the need for fighting ability, but being fit enough to actually fight when the time comes is key.

poko said:
I can say i been in for 4 year and in that time the only PT we have done was running, ruck march, and circuit trainning. Nice and all but why does the canadien force does not make Self defance/ hand to hand combat part of the regular PT. What i get from this is that if there ever a enemy that want to fight with me i was not train to fight but to run away. ???

To me, it seems like a lack of imagination or leadership in your Unit.  Most Units are trying to implement the New CF fitness program.

GW

Historically speaking, hand to hand combat is an extreme rarity on the battlefield - if you're in bayonet range of a live enemy soldier capable of effective resistance, something has - generally speaking - gone horribly wrong somewhere.

Why don't you just go take some Karate lessons in your spare time? Or maybe some kick boxing?

Hand to Hand combat training isnt going to do you a whole lot of good if you're buckled over, winded and light headed from the long charge into the battlefield...

I agree with Michael. If your ever close enough to the enemy that you would have to use hand to hand then your having a bad day.

Running is good.  It builds the basics for all physical activities, such as endurance, stamina, and wind.  It is cheap and effective.

If you want to have different training (i.e. Hand to hand), as a PERI Staff.  They should be able to point you in the right direction.

It depends on your unit, because mine does do some hand-to hand as PT

You know what I say? A damn good question.

Hand to hand does a world of good, and I wish I had a lot more chances to do it over the years. It allows you face up and actually have to strike out and hit someone and realize one can do possible damage.  Figure eleven targets don't yelp when hit and the are far away. And, it adds some physical fitness. 

Man we have become so bad that we actually criticise someone these days for asking that.

tess

Hand to hand not only teaches combat skills, it teaches aggressiveness.  That is something that is needed.  Controlled aggressiveness that is.  It also teaches you to take physical punishment.  These are good things.

I understand that runing is good and build stimina and all. I do run quite a bit my self  let say about 600 km a year more or less. But i was just trying to make a point as to why the canadian force do not implement some sort of martial art program. It as every benifit a soldier need it teaches you about self control, dicipline and get you in great shape. While running only works out your leg  and  heart martial art work out all of your body.
As for running away from combat i was joking will trying to make a point.

I have two things to say on this:

1- The modern battlefield is different from the old style: close-counter combat is no longer the key of the battle.

2- ever in exercises, when you have to run to win, to invade or to retreat, you realise why them make you run!!!!!!!!!!!

Honesty

Something else to add up: The Smg (sub-machine gun) is no longer part of the inventory in the CF. (used to clear off trenches and close-quarter combat). Same idea as the martial arts thing! If you have to kill the enemy by hands, you are in deep trouble!

I mean, it is not the way warfare is in modern history!

Honesty

I believe Marines still learn some hand to hand fighting skills. 

When you get the chance, ask a battle hardened marine returning from Iraq what he had to do more. 

Run down streets, from building to building engaging the enemy, or spar hand to hand with him.

Also, I believe some units offer some hand to hand as an "extra" on the side.  It's usually some sort of martial art taught by a trained member of the unit.

I think hand to hand is a good thing to do on the side. But I don't think they should replace running with hand to hand.That's just my opinion :)

If you have ideas for a better pt regime that still inludes cardio activity, suggest it up the chain of command as something that can be done maybee once a week.Something like martial arts requires constant different lessons with all pers attending regularly.In your unit, have there ever been someone missing from pt for medical, personal or operational reasons that might miss a lesson?

The idea of "hand to hand" training cannot be implemented into pt for this reason and many others but is available through courses such as unarmed combat courses etc.

Try talking to peri staff for ideas that break up the pt week.Nobody likes running everyday but the reason we do is most likely because noone shows the initiative to plan something else.

Something else to add up: The Smg (sub-machine gun) is no longer part of the inventory in the CF. (used to clear off trenches and close-quarter combat). Same idea as the martial arts thing! If you have to kill the enemy by hands, you are in deep trouble!

I mean, it is not the way warfare is in modern history!

But we do have a selection on our selector lever call full auto. What would that be used for?

And we will still have to perform trench clearing, and CQ in our "Modern battlefield"

So practicing sizing up for a good pasting does no harm to anyone at all (except for a few bruises and sore hands)

tess

Running as part of a good 5 day pt program should be conduct 2x a week. One of these 2 days should be for approx 50 min at a pace 75% of the troops can comfortably maintain. The other run session should be of a variable speed based on interval training, hills, running interspersed with other exercise (not circuit tng), and the various types of training runs can be rotated over a months period.  The other three periods during the week should include a ruck march (for us who must complete a BFT), a circut tng session and a sports or fun session (swimming, skating, on own, whatever).

Personally I feel martial arts style training can be supplemented into the pt routine. As a start point do a surge of training (day to week long where everyone becomes fam with the skills) and then add into the pt program once or twice a month to maintain skill memory. That way in preparation to an operation or whatever, a small surge of training should bring up the skill level that will hopefully not be required. I personally feel though if you personally want to maintain your martial arts ability to a fighting level, you really should do it at your local club.

To answer the original question...

Running is the basic excises in order to maintain cardio fitness. It is simple, cheap, and with enough practice anyone can do it sufficiently well to enjoy it. The military tends to ruin it by making it unenjoyable by enforcing group cohesiveness. Good, innovated leaders can find ways to make the old run a bit more exciting and by emphasising individual effort (put an effort in good, if you don't bad*...as a runner I can tell) hopefully encourage improvement to all levels of fitness in your group.

So if you think running is bad, why do so many people do it as a hobby and as a means to maintain a healthy lifestyle? 

The answers lie there.

*note-as a det comd in Fd Amb I said that if you could not keep up, thats fine but do not stop running. I put a person on verbal warning for not putting enough effort forth in their pt. The troops heard this, and we didn't have a problem after that. Oh yes, and now a couple years later, that person now runs on their own.

I can't comment on "hand to hand combat" training, since I don't fight for sport or leisure.

However, in my opinion we fight as a team, therefore train as a team, and should also do physical fitness activities as a team (yes, I'm a hockey fanatic - it's "War On Ice" - and there's nothing I love more than aggressive, full-contact hockey - especially when my team is hammering the other team ... and speaking as a goalie, I'm ashamed of the rule that forbids hitting the goalie when he's out of his crease - I figure I'm fair game if I'm in the corner, and besides - "if ya can't take it, ya shouldn't dish it out ...")

"In training, I am a great believer in running before you can walk because, by finding out how difficult it is to run, men take a greater interest in the problem of learning to walk. All training must be done through the brain; the bored man absorbs nothing."
- Lt.-Gen. Sir Brian Horrocks

Back