• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Who owns long range precision fires?

Seems more like a macho contest for powers/budgets, rather than anything grounded in common sense.  :2c:

Like was mentioned before...

Ground launched weapon?  Army

Air launched weapon?  Air Force

Ship launched weapon?  Navy

Will there be some overlap as technology evolves?  Sure.  There already is, i.e., Navy's tomahawk capability from ships, and air launched cruise missiles (which can be air launched by both services.)

Both fly far over the horizon, both go boom in the end.  Should one divest itself of this capability, just because the other says so?  Nope.

With a war against China inevitable at some point, even if limited to a short burst of conventional warfare somewhere in the SCS - having a bit of overlap is a good thing. 

Like also mentioned previously, anything more than roughly 4km is 'over the horizon'.  So where do you really draw the line?

With over 5300 aircraft in it's inventory, including high end fighter jets, cargo planes to resupply US military forces all over the world, Global Strike responsibilities, air-refuelling tasks, ICBM deployment and security, etc etc - I feel the USAF truly has a complex and critical global role already. 

Do they really want to sit in the mud with us, just so they can fire a few 155mm rounds because they'll land over the horizon?  Be bothered with all of the radio compatibility issues, training issues, etc etc?  I highly doubt it.  Nobody joins the Air Force so they can sleep in the mud - that's half the appeal of the Air Force in the first place. 

It's just about budget & power.    :2c:

With the rules above then Minuteman goes to the Army from the Air Force.

Chris Pook said:
With the rules above then Minuteman goes to the Army from the Air Force.

I’m sure Army guys would love a posting to Minot, ND, sitting 100’ underground for extended periods. The silos have ice cream, and Army types got spiked from having ice cream in all the DFACs in your... ;D

Good2Golf said:
I’m sure Army guys would love a posting to Minot, ND, sitting 100’ underground for extended periods. The silos have ice cream, and Army types got spiked from having ice cream in all the DFACs in your... ;D

I always figured when I lived in Winnipeg and Brandon that we were within the Russian nukes' circular error probable for Minot.

;D

As an aside, I was on a course in the RCSA in Shilo during the Cuban missile crisis. During our breaks we used to go outside the classroom to watch for nukes hitting Winnipeg.

And in the case of the long range precision fires, ownership and command/control are not the same thing. Tube artillery and precision non-nuke rocket systems probably should be a land force asset. Even tactical nukes employable within an area of interest, within so many days away from actually being employed against a land force level of command, should be employed by the land force. My geriatric old mind keeps coming up with "what about" and I keep dreaming up caveats. In principle, though, if it don't fly, it belongs to the army seems like a good principle, until you think of UAVs. Then I guess it radius of employment is moot.

FJAG said:
I always figured when I lived in Winnipeg and Brandon that we were within the Russian nukes' circular error probable for Minot.

;D

The missileers who would come up from Minot in a Kin Air for TGIF in Portage would likely agree with you, FJAG. :nod:

Good2Golf said:

In their spare time they could always pitch a tent under the stars.

We're not really going to be able to take what is commentary of an attack of "blimpishness" by a retired senior officer much farther.

Apologies to whoever coined the appellation Colonel Blimp for those firmly stuck in the past. However, I still get a chuckle recalling a framed editorial cartoon in the 4 RCHA officers' mess. It dated from when Diefenbaker axed the Avro Arrow. In the drawing, a group of army officers are enjoying a drink at the mess bar, while a bemedalled RCAF officer is weeping in the corner over a headline "Arrow Canned". The caption went something like "Clear thinking in Ottawa at last. Now, if we could just get back our horses".

Old Sweat said:
Apologies to whoever coined the appellation Colonel Blimp for those firmly stuck in the past. However, I still get a chuckle recalling a framed editorial cartoon in the 4 RCHA officers' mess.  . . .

Quite apropos, since Colonel Blimp originated as a political cartoon.

https://www.lambiek.net/artists/l/low_david.htm

low_david_colblimp.jpg

Back