• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Who are the FOO/FAC?

JerBear

Inactive
Reaction score
I have just gotten into the army and am waiting for my Artillery course to begin (I am currently on the waiting platoon) . I did a lot of skydiving and parachuting sports prior to joining (~250 jumps).
Skydiving is something that I want to pursue in my military career and I was told that the artillery offered a specialization (FOO/FAC?) that was jumping out of aircrafts.
My question is -who are they?
-how do I become one?
-where should I ask to be posted after my PP1 in order to maximize my chances of becoming one?
-how long is the course?
-what are the prerequesite?

Thank you for your replys.

They’re generally commissioned artillery officers. They may or may not get jump qualified, but jumping will very rarely be part of the job, save possibly for the rare FOO/FAC who spends time attached to a light infantry regiment and may occasionally do an airborne training exercise.

FOO/FAC will be something an artillery officer may do for a few years earlier in their career after getting trained up and functional in their job, and getting some experience as a brand new officer. It’s unlikely to be a role an artillery officer spends a significant portion of their career in.

CAF also has a demonstration skydiving team that take applicants from across at least the army. They’re a public relations exercise though, and serve no combat function.

There's an Airborne Battery at 2RCHA, probably similar for 1 and 5. That's static line though. As Brihard mentioned, there's a Skyhawks team that sends out a recruiting CANFORGEN every year. If I remember correctly you don't need to be Military Freefall qualified, theyll accept civilian license with a certain amount of jumps.

There's an Airborne Battery at 2RCHA, probably similar for 1 and 5. That's static line though. As Brihard mentioned, there's a Skyhawks team that sends out a recruiting CANFORGEN every year. If I remember correctly you don't need to be Military Freefall qualified, theyll accept civilian license with a certain amount of jumps.
I don't believe that 2 RCHA has an airborne battery anymore. E Bty does stay current on airmobile ops.

Y Bty, the FOO battery, does have one FOO/JTAC team (G21) that is maintained jump qualified to support 3 RCR's Para Company.

I stand to be corrected but I think that's the current situation.

Just a point, while FOOs are artillery officers, the rest of the FOO/JTAC team (3 to 4) are artillery NCMs.

🍻

They've got maroon berets on and RCA cap badges. No idea how they're employed but there's more than just a det's worth walking around Pet.

Back