• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

What does the path look like? DEO Infantry officer

deokid

Reaction score
Hi,

I'll be entering as a DEO Infantry officer.

For now all I know is that you complete BMOQ-12 weeks at Saint-Jean during which you are an Officer Cadet.

What happens after BMOQ? What does the training plan to Lieutenant look like ? Which locations do you generally go to?

How long before I get posted to a base for 2-3 years ?

Thank you in advance for your help

Hi,

I'll be entering as a DEO Infantry officer.

For now all I know is that you complete BMOQ-12 weeks at Saint-Jean during which you are an Officer Cadet.

What happens after BMOQ? What does the training plan to Lieutenant look like ? Which locations do you generally go to?

How long before I get posted to a base for 2-3 years ?

Thank you in advance for your help
After BMOQ you’ve got two Infantry Officer courses. One is the dismounted (on foot) platoon commander’s course, and one is the mechanized platoon commander’s course. Both are in Gagetown, New Brunswick. Dismounted in particular is a very difficult course; it’s very physically demanding, and you’ll need to really motivate yourself to push through. Last I heard, the courses run periodically through the year. I’m not sure where baby infantry officers hang out these days between courses.

Make sure you’re very fit, because injuries are a significant risk. You’ll put a lot of strain on your body, especially your core, and all the smaller connecting and stabilizing muscles will get worked really hard- think of moving for extended periods carrying weight over uneven ground, and sometimes having to run. If you haven’t already researched fitness for this context and put a plan in place, do so.

Good luck!

After BMOQ you’ve got two Infantry Officer courses. One is the dismounted (on foot) platoon commander’s course, and one is the mechanized platoon commander’s course. Both are in Gagetown, New Brunswick. Dismounted in particular is a very difficult course; it’s very physically demanding, and you’ll need to really motivate yourself to push through. Last I heard, the courses run periodically through the year. I’m not sure where baby infantry officers hang out these days between courses.

Make sure you’re very fit, because injuries are a significant risk. You’ll put a lot of strain on your body, especially your core, and all the smaller connecting and stabilizing muscles will get worked really hard- think of moving for extended periods carrying weight over uneven ground, and sometimes having to run. If you haven’t already researched fitness for this context and put a plan in place, do so.

Good luck!
So after these courses, you are trade qualified? I take it that these courses are 6 months altogether?

So after these courses, you are trade qualified? I take it that these courses are 6 months altogether?
Can’t say exactly the length. I was infantry, but noncommissioned.

But yes- after completing the mech course, a new infantry officer is, so far as I know, ‘trade qualified’ (or “operationally functional point” is the term CAF uses). There’s lots of other training that junior officers do, but off of the mech course you could expect to be posted to a battalion.

Can’t say exactly the length. I was infantry, but noncommissioned.

But yes- after completing the mech course, a new infantry officer is, so far as I know, ‘trade qualified’ (or “operationally functional point” is the term CAF uses). There’s lots of other training that junior officers do, but off of the mech course you could expect to be posted to a battalion.
That is the way it is - or at least was. Phase IV was the Mech phase and after that we'd see a few new Lts on parade.

For anyone still wondering. My advisor told me after BMOQ, you do DP1 in Gagetown which lasts 7 months, and then DP2 also in Gagetown which last 1 month. After this you are trade qualified.

Back