• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

What are my chances of getting in?

J

jebo_majku

The lowdown about me:

- I am interested in Communications Research. Especially Canadian Forces Electronic Warfare Centre.
- I am in my mid 30's
- I run. Can do 10K.
- I have high school (graduated) and college (diploma) - but no university yet. :-(
- I have 7 years exp. as Sys Admin. Working on Windows/Unix/Linux/Netware
- I run an InfoSec (information security) web site.
- I am a Canadian citizen
- I am also a Yugoslav citizen.
- I served in the Yugoslav army, conscript. Location Prizren, Yugoslav/Albanian border.
- I lived in Libya for 10 years; '71 - '85
- I lived in Yugoslavia; '85 - '89
- I am fluent in Eng. & Serbian
- I am advanced in Italian and Arabic

My reasons for joining:
- I want to do some good in the world. I am not sure I can just join the infantry and do the same things I was physically able to when I was 18 (the last time I served).

If anyone has any constructive advice or leads - please let me know. When I apply - should I emphasize or de-emphasize certain aspects of my history?

If anyone has any experience or knows anyone who works/worked in Communications Research/Canadian Forces Electronic Warfare Centre -  I am also interested in where they think I would be stationed. I have a family. The location is something I will have to give some serious thoughts and make a decision about.

BTW - Just wanted to add, EXCELLENT site. Big congrats to all involved in maintaining it. You have aquired a new fan and regular lurker. :)

How long have you been in Canada?  Sorry your background is shaky (Libya and Yugoslavia) especially when you need a Level III to be a 291.  Check the recruiting website for more information on the trade.

Level III equals Top Secret equals intensive background check.  Yugoslavia and Libya are scheduled countries which equals suspicion which equals increased scrutiny.  Good luck.

".. suspicion ... increased scrutiny"

That can't be a good thing. So much for that idea.  :'(

Some countries are Security Sensitive. A friend of min was told to not even bother since he moved here from South Africa. The security clearances could take years...

Sh0rtbUs said:
Some countries are Security Sensitive. A friend of min was told to not even bother since he moved here from South Africa. The security clearances could take years...

Thanks for the reply. That's the problem I am facing. In order to get any decent job in InfoSec, you need a clearance. But they won't give you one if you look suspicious - eventhough you have never done anything to warrant suspicion. But, I can understand not wanting to create more work for yourself than you need to; hell, I do it everyday.

jebo_majku said:
".. suspicion ... increased scrutiny"

That can't be a good thing. So much for that idea.   :'(

Hey I am not saying you shouldn't try just giving you a heads up.

Its case sensitive, cant hurt to give er a try anyways. "He who dares wins"  :D

heeey Jebo don't give up!

Just gotta think about it realistically here...  Yugoslavia and Libya. Both have had problems and Libya recently with all what's going on there? Hell, basically anything in that entire general area.

Can't blame them for scrutinizing can you?

But why give up if you've got nothing to hide and are a good person?

It's a necessary process.. Don't quit trying over it

Thanks. Still - as other more experienced have said - my chances of getting that clearance are pretty slim. I think I will keep quiet about my years living in Libya and arabic knowledge. It really shouldn't be a factor - I was just there as a child up 'til grade 9.

My Yugoslav background I can't hide - my name gives it away, plus my landed immigrant papers. But at least I will have one less special case working against me.

One quick question. For the trade I am interested in, does it matter where I apply? I am in the GTA. Would it be worth my while to drive to Ottawa and apply?

Steve said:
...and Libya recently with all what's going on there?

What's going on there? Ii still talk to some people I know from back there. Many say things have gotten much better in the last 10 years. A lot of foreign companies opening up branches there again, especially the British.

jebo_majku said:
The lowdown about me:

- I am interested in Communications Research. Especially Canadian Forces Electronic Warfare Centre.
- I am in my mid 30's
- I run. Can do 10K.
- I have high school (graduated) and college (diploma) - but no university yet. :-(
- I have 7 years exp. as Sys Admin. Working on Windows/Unix/Linux/Netware
- I run an InfoSec (information security) web site.
- I am a Canadian citizen
- I am also a Yugoslav citizen.
- I served in the Yugoslav army, conscript. Location Prizren, Yugoslav/Albanian border.
- I lived in Libya for 10 years; '71 - '85
- I lived in Yugoslavia; '85 - '89
- I am fluent in Eng. & Serbian
- I am advanced in Italian and Arabic

My reasons for joining:
- I want to do some good in the world. I am not sure I can just join the infantry and do the same things I was physically able to when I was 18 (the last time I served).

If anyone has any constructive advice or leads - please let me know. When I apply - should I emphasize or de-emphasize certain aspects of my history?

If anyone has any experience or knows anyone who works/worked in Communications Research/Canadian Forces Electronic Warfare Centre -   I am also interested in where they think I would be stationed. I have a family. The location is something I will have to give some serious thoughts and make a decision about.

BTW - Just wanted to add, EXCELLENT site. Big congrats to all involved in maintaining it. You have aquired a new fan and regular lurker. :)

Sadly restrictions such as this have been re-hashed in the post 11 Sep world, and are placed for our overall security and well being.

Possibly these restrictions maybe have exceptions on a one-on-one basis, so why not keep trying, but if it's a no-go, please repect the outcome.

Again these restrictions are placed for the overall security of the nation as a whole.

Good Luck

Wes

Jebo... i'm not an expert but I don't suggest you hide details because if they find out, (and they WILL find out) you're screwed up... You'll be kicked out.

Be honest with the recruiter and tell him the truth about everything so that you don't get a deception later.
I don't know if i'm right here but I think they can charge you if they find you lied on something, maybe CF members could enlighten you on this...

anyways, IMHO, lying or hiding details is the worst thing to do in the CF...

Good luck!

jebo_majku said:
Thanks. Still - as other more experienced have said - my chances of getting that clearance are pretty slim. I think I will keep quiet about my years living in Libya and arabic knowledge. It really shouldn't be a factor - I was just there as a child up 'til grade 9.

My Yugoslav background I can't hide - my name gives it away, plus my landed immigrant papers. But at least I will have one less special case working against me.

One quick question. For the trade I am interested in, does it matter where I apply? I am in the GTA. Would it be worth my while to drive to Ottawa and apply?

You should apply in the GTA.

Sh0rtbUs said:

That's interesting.  A few years back (this must have been 2003), I knew of a a person who was from S. Africa, worked as a bush pilot and had served in the French Foreign Legion for 6 years as a paratrooper.  He managed to get in, and the regiment was more than happy to take him.

Back