• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Walter Reed AMC to Merge with Bethesda NNMC

The Bread Guy

Staff member
Directing Staff
Subscriber
Donor
Reaction score
I know it's been covered a bit here, but I thought re-opening a three year old thread may be too much - nonetheless, mod squad, feel free to merge if you see fit.

BRAC Fallout: Walter Reed National Military Medical Center
Defense Industry Daily (DID), 3 Mar 08, 17:20 EST
Article link

"DID has covered the USA’s Base Realignment and Closure process before, a fairly unique effort whereby a commission draws up a list of bases to be closed, and the Congress must vote yes or no to the entire list. The result is that it becomes much harder (but not impossible) for Congressmen to protect each base, and easier to create a basing system whose priorities are shifted toward military rather than political needs.

The 2005 BRAC Commission’s recommendation to realign and consolidate facilities in the USA’s National Capital Region, in order to meet the medical and security needs of the 21st century, includes the realignment of all tertiary medical services currently located at Walter Reed Army Medical Center in Washington, DC to the National Naval Medical Center in Bethesda, MD. The new joint operational medical facility will be named the Walter Reed National Military Medical Center, and will be staffed by personnel from the Navy, Army and Air Force. The existing Walter Reed main installation is mandated to close by 2011, according to the BRAC law.

DID thought this was an interesting BRAC initiative to cover going forward as a Spotlight article… and then the controversies hit. In their aftermath, the first contract has now been issued for construction of the new facility. DID chronicles the contracts – and the controversies.

Contracts & Key Developments
Specific changes at the realigned Bethesda campus will likely include construction and renovation of approximately 800,000 square feet of clinical space, plus additional alterations and construction of support facilities. About 1,000 Army and Air Force personnel will join the staff at WRNMMC, and depending on the final decisions made at the end of the Environmental Impact Statement process, as many as 1,500 additional personnel could join the campus workforce. Those employees would work at supporting facilities such as barracks housing and the Navy Lodge.

See the NNMC’s BRAC page covering this process for more information and updates. Unless otherwise specified, The Naval Facilities Engineering Command in Washington, DC issued the contracts ...."

I am sitting in a classroom at NNMC Bethesda right now and rest my head on a pillow in very nice room at the Navy Lodge.  The NNMC has one sweet, nearly state of the art set-up.  Buses, 53-foot long types arrive daily (yes, daily) with injured troops from the US AORs. It is a stark contrast to the reports surrounding the issues at Walter Reed.

Back