• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

VAC Question Training Benefits

Timmy!

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score
Hi folks,
it's been a long time since I've posted on here. But hey, how is everyone doing? I'm thinking about going back to school. Like local NSCC. I'm thinking because of my medicate issues that I maybe will Cyber Security course. Last October I was diagnose with Huntington's' Disease. And I'm about to be in a wheelchair for the the rest of my life. But I think on how much money I can make in this field. A lot of job openings in this field.

My question is which program will VAC use for me? I got kids to take care of. ETB? Vocational rehabilitation? My case manger when I left the CF was not so great. I had to buy my books when I first went in. Instead I should I told the bookstore owner that I was a sponsor student! I was too pissed of at VAC for not helping me. I quit the course and told VAC to never contact me again. Anyways, I'm trying to log in to My VAC account and I'm having no luck. I have an appointment on 31st for a VAC Rep here in Halifax area.

I'm currently enrolled in the ETB. Going to an accredited college (NSCC should count), and taking a program that provides a diploma/degree will count to draw funds against. You do not get funding for specifics like books if enrolled in a program, you a TAXABLE cash payment per semester. For me it is around twice the tuition, fees, etc. You pay for books, materials, computers, equipment from this as well as the tuition/fees. At then end of each semester you send in a specific form, proof you have passed that semester, and are enrolled in the next semester. Payment is quick after the first time, usually around 2 to 5 days from submitting the forms. When I started, 2022, each semester was in the 8k range, now it's 9k.

Be careful submitting at Christmas. I put my paper work in on boxing day, and got paid before 1 Jan. This messed up my taxes as I had an extra 8k on the years income. Curses on the efficiency of VAC (said no one until now).

That is for accredited courses at accredited institutions. You have a pool of almost 90k. I'm going to use around 65 to 70k completing a 4 year program. If you want to take a basket waving course at Bob's Basket Emporium, you can use up to 5k or 6k of that 90k for non-accredited courses. You get what is on the invoice and nothing more. Make sure they put all materials needed on the invoice. Note, again that 5k or 6k is part of the complete envelope.

So need some info first to determine what program you would be under.
Are you a medical release? If yes you would have to fall under the voc rehab program for schooling cost. VAC will determine if what you want to do falls within your medical employment limitations so if they do deny you it's possible to still go the ETB route.

You mentioned you have kids so I would like to say if you are married or common law and are unable to do vocational rehab and are deemed DEC by VAC you can pass the schooling on to your spouse and VAC can pay for them to go to school or upgrade they're schooling.

For ETB if you have 6 years of paid service you are entitled up to $48274.98

If you have 12 or more years of paid service you are entitled to $96549.95

You can use up to $6034.36 of the maximum amount to participate in short courses aimed at certification.

Okay I was 3B release back in 2017. I'm almost in a wheelchair now. So I'm interested in IT Programs at my local Nova Scotia college.

IT Programming
Cyber Security

What's your opinion?

Thanks in advance for your support,
TN2IC

Hey folks,
here's another question for you. What schooling is legit schools in Canada. I've tried Google but I'm not aware of some of theses Universities and Collages listed. Can we have your opinion on what is a good school to attend? And do they do online courses too? What schools have you attended?

Cheers,
Timmy!

Hey folks,
here's another question for you. What schooling is legit schools in Canada. I've tried Google but I'm not aware of some of theses Universities and Collages listed. Can we have your opinion on what is a good school to attend? And do they do online courses too? What schools have you attended?

Cheers,
Timmy!
Here’s the list of accredited schools.

Select Nova Scotia, type in community and you get a list of the NSCC campuses.

Stay away from institutions with career college in the title. Stuck with ones that have established campuses that are more than an office and some rooms in a stripmall.

There are good distance institutions, not sure of ones for IT myself. Stay away from certificates, go for a diploma or degree. I'm at a Medicine Hat College and they offer all three, I'm in a degree program. Certificates do provide some value, but a diploma will give you more depth and width of knowledge. Certificates seem to be quick and dirty or for very specific fields, health care aid, medical office assistant, etc.

Check this

Edit: the links on the government cyber security programme page seem to be all messed up. At least you get the institution an program names.
Edit 2:Reddit thread

Last edited:
Hi folks,
it's been a long time since I've posted on here. But hey, how is everyone doing? I'm thinking about going back to school. Like local NSCC. I'm thinking because of my medicate issues that I maybe will Cyber Security course. Last October I was diagnose with Huntington's' Disease. And I'm about to be in a wheelchair for the the rest of my life. But I think on how much money I can make in this field. A lot of job openings in this field.

My question is which program will VAC use for me? I got kids to take care of. ETB? Vocational rehabilitation? My case manger when I left the CF was not so great. I had to buy my books when I first went in. Instead I should I told the bookstore owner that I was a sponsor student! I was too pissed of at VAC for not helping me. I quit the course and told VAC to never contact me again. Anyways, I'm trying to log in to My VAC account and I'm having no luck. I have an appointment on 31st for a VAC Rep here in Halifax area.
Hi Timmy

I am currently taking a course through Coding for Veterans. It is all online and at your own pace. I applied to VAC with my curriculum and what fees were being charged. It is an accredited course through the University of Ottawa. Coding for Vets offer three main fields: Secure Software Development Program; Network Security Associate Program; and Cyber Security Architect Program. For a couple of them, there are further options. Here is a link to their site:

Back