• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

USN SEAL Eddie Gallagher Not Guilty on 6 of 7 Charges

This is one of those situations where the news reports on the trial didn't help one whit in understanding the actual circumstances of the case. I have absolutely zero idea what really happened. I expect that the panel at the court martial was probably much in the same state and had little option to acquit based on a reasonable doubt.

I doubt if there will ever be a publicly available transcript of the case or investigation reports and I sure as hell wouldn't trust any first person account coming out as a book.

It's too bad. This case carries a stench about it that does not reflect well on the special forces community.

:dunno:

FJAG said:
This is one of those situations where the news reports on the trial didn't help one whit in understanding the actual circumstances of the case. I have absolutely zero idea what really happened. I expect that the panel at the court martial was probably much in the same state and had little option to acquit based on a reasonable doubt.

I doubt if there will ever be a publicly available transcript of the case or investigation reports and I sure as hell wouldn't trust any first person account coming out as a book.

It's too bad. This case carries a stench about it that does not reflect well on the special forces community.

:dunno:

Indeed. I would suspect the accused will end up separated from the military after this. If a fraction of what was given in testimony is true, even falling short of criminal conviction still leaves a lot of stink on the character of the individual and on the reputation of the unit as a whole.

I’ll just leave this here.

Attachments

• E73FF2C9-F448-4BB3-8551-602E9B88EAFD.jpeg
    E73FF2C9-F448-4BB3-8551-602E9B88EAFD.jpeg
    91 KB · Views: 238
This is what happens when you have certain groups & individuals involved in near continuous warfare for almost 20 years without reprieve.

Eddie Gallagher enlisted in 1999, he has 8 combat deployments in 19 years, no doubt longer than six months at a time along with all the other training, exercises, etc.  He, along with the rest of JSOC have been leaned on heavily and are getting leaned on even more so as we enter this period of "we aren't at war but we really are".

I was also interested in these particular charges:

Article 112a Wrongful Use of a Controlled Substance – Tramadol Hydrochloride
Article 112a Unlawful Possession of a Controlled Substance – Sustanon-250

Sustanon-250 is a Testosterone Replacement Therapy, no doubt because Eddie Gallagher along with many other SOF members heavily abuse anabolic steroids so he is no longer able to produce testosterone naturally.

These guys are so juiced up I guarantee you all of them have some mental health issues just from that.  It's the unspoken drug problem in the military, police forces, etc.

Not to mention, I bet some of them have CTE from years of abuse to their bodies, explosions, gunfire, hits to the head.  A nice cocktail for this sort of thing.

Excellent points sir. The US SOF seem to depend on prescription drugs to aid them in sleeping on long trips over oceans. I can’t recall the name of it offhand.

Update in this case. The Chief will be reduced in rank and will retire in about 3 weeks.

https://tinyurl.com/y2v83f5p

"I feel fine. It’s all right, you know? The jury came with a verdict. I trust them," Gallagher told Fox News after his sentencing Wednesday, which stipulates his rank will be reduced to an E6 paygrade, affecting both his pay and his benefits. A jury also sentenced the SEAL to pay $2,697 per month for four months.

Prior to sentencing, Gallagher’s defense succeeded in getting the judge to reduce the potential forfeiture to 50 percent, arguing that some of Gallagher’s pre-trial confinement was tantamount to punishment based on the fact that he was denied access to a computer and some medical treatment. Even though the jury came back with a 4-month partial forfeiture of pay, it will be cut in half, resulting in 2 months partial forfeiture.

Hamish Seggie said:
Excellent points sir. The US SOF seem to depend on prescription drugs to aid them in sleeping on long trips over oceans. I can’t recall the name of it offhand.

Ambien...

From OP,

Jurors did find him guilty of the seventh charge, posing for a photo with a casualty, considered the least egregious of the crimes, which carries a maximum prison sentence of four months.

Unfortunately, "selfie challenges" are not unheard of here at home.

Jarnhamar said:
Wonder what that's about.

I don't know any SEALs, but I do know a few people in similar organizations. I have always been impressed with how clear they seem to be about what is 'right' and 'wrong' when it comes to doing their jobs.

I assume the other guys in his unit just called it like it was. Doing the right thing is sometimes the most simple, and the most difficult, of things you can do.

daftandbarmy said:
I have always been impressed with how clear they seem to be about what is 'right' and 'wrong' when it comes to doing their jobs.

I assume the other guys in his unit just called it like it was. Doing the right thing is sometimes the most simple, and the most difficult, of things you can do.

Especially with the threat of going to Leavenworth ( or wherever they send Navy SEALs who commit perjury ).

And then after the team medic was granted immunity he confessed to being the one who murdered the teenager.

Nearly a dozen members of Gallagher's platoon testified against him, revealing that nearly all the platoon members posed for photos with the dead prisoner
I wonder if the rest of the platoon are getting charged with posing with the dead body too.

Jarnhamar said:
I wonder if the rest of the platoon are getting charged with posing with the dead body too.

Sounds like they were granted immunity.

Most of the witnesses were granted immunity to protect them from being prosecuted for acts they described on the stand.
https://toronto.citynews.ca/2019/07/03/jury-to-decide-seals-punishment-for-posing-with-corpse/

Back