• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

USAF Maintainers merging jobs

KevinB

Army.ca Relic
Subscriber
Reaction score
Will they be getting pay raises for those extra tasks, or will the trades just be renamed.

They’re trying this BS with AVN/AVS cross training for certain tasks. Pay me more for the extra responsibilities and I’ll be happy to help.

Will they be getting pay raises for those extra tasks, or will the trades just be renamed.

They’re trying this BS with AVN/AVS cross training for certain tasks. Pay me more for the extra responsibilities and I’ll be happy to help.
Is it more responsibilities, or the same amount of different responsibilities?

Tell me- is there anything at all that you like about being in the RCAF?

Yes.
More good ideas from the trade SME fairies who haven’t seen the flight line in a decade to makeup for retention problems.
Feel free to be an AME on the civy street (they do all type of maintenance work - there are no AVNs or AVS) for the same or less money, in big cities where COL is much greater than Cold Lake and in companies that don’t let you play hockey or workout on company time and that expect you to actually work a full 40-hour week.

Feel free to be an AME on the civy street (they do all type of maintenance work - there are no AVNs or AVS) for the same or less money, in big cities where COL is much greater than Cold Lake and in companies that don’t let you play hockey or workout on company time and that expect you to actually work a full 40-hour week.

No thanks, and I won’t be taking on work of other trades for no extra pay. Not my problem.

Yes you will, it's called a lawful order. Vote with your feet or your wallet for the summary hearing fine, you pick.

You can’t be ordered to take on qualifications or sign for aircraft maintenance. Go ahead with the court Marshall, try me.

You can’t be ordered to take on qualifications or sign for aircraft maintenance. Go ahead with the court Marshall, try me.
You can be ordered on a course. If you deliberately fail it, you can be put on remedial measures. If you don't do your job as tasked by your CoC, you'll be on remedial measures. I sincerely hope you're not just an internet tough guy and you whine this much at work so your CoC can ensure it reflects on your PARs. Quite frankly it's toxic garbage and doesn't belong in any shape or form in a leadership role in the CAF.

You can be ordered on a course. If you deliberately fail it, you can be put on remedial measures. If you don't do your job as tasked by your CoC, you'll be on remedial measures. I sincerely hope you're not just an internet tough guy and you whine this much at work so your CoC can ensure it reflects on your PARs. Quite frankly it's toxic garbage and doesn't belong in any shape or form in a leadership role in the CAF.

You have no idea what you’re talking about. I think you’re in the wrong thread.

You can’t be ordered to take on qualifications
Oh trust me, you can.

or sign for aircraft maintenance. Go ahead with the court Marshall, try me.
In this case you’re right - you can refuse to sign. But I’m willing to bet that there will be questions if the reasoning is “as an X level tech, I’m not qualified or unwilling to do the job I’m supposed to”.

When I was flying not that long ago, we’d cross-train various techs so that some weren’t just waiting around for their specific job to come up. It also helped reduce the ground crew needed on various TDs, so they actually had more home time.

But I’m willing to bet that there will be questions if the reasoning is “as an X level tech, I’m not qualified or unwilling to do the job I’m supposed to”.

Questions? Sure. Repercussions? Nope. Let me know when charges are pressed against someone unwilling to take on quals they aren’t comfortable with or not in their trade scope. I’ll wait.

Questions? Sure. Repercussions? Nope. Let me know when charges are pressed against someone unwilling to take on quals they aren’t comfortable with or not in their trade scope. I’ll wait.
You have raised a bunch of strawman arguments. You make it seem as if adding new quals to a technician’s skillset is just going to be gundecked (“hey you! Go change that CF-18 engine! I don’t care if you are an ACS tech-figure it out!). Really?

If the RCAF decides to expands your trade scope, I can assure you it will be a legal order and your SAMS/SAMEO will have all the ammunition they need to either correct your behaviour/attitude through administrative or disciplinary means or see you removed from the CAF if you refuse to play along.

In any case- this is a USAF situation and the way you have reacted to something that may or may not even happen in the RCAF (and newsflash- I don’t know you, but can already state with certainty that you probably hold more maintenance quals than 80% of USAF techs. They are very specialized, which used to to work for them because they had a huge recruiting base), makes me certain that you are not the kind of tech that I would keep on my Detachment at Sea for 5 seconds. That is a place where every trade works together to keep the aircraft serviceable. I have held tools for techs; I have helped with blade changes (those blade boxes don’t move themselves); aircrew routinely help all the techs wash the aircraft- none of which is in my job description or JTAR, but I was happy to do because, you know- teamwork.

If the RCAF decides to expands your trade scope, I can assure you it will be a legal order and your SAMS/SAMEO will have all the ammunition they need to either correct your behaviour/attitude through administrative or disciplinary means or see you removed from the CAF if you refuse to play along.

Yeah won't happen. I've seen countless number of people who don't take on quals in their own trade, let alone be "forced" to take on others. Not everyone wants to be a tow driver or a C Releaser, no one is forcing people to take on these quals, including the SAMS/SAMEO. What you think happens and what actually happens are two different things.

makes me certain that you are not the kind of tech that I would keep on my Detachment at Sea for 5 seconds.

Don't worry, I won't be anywhere near a CAF boat or a helicopter.

In any case- this is a USAF situation and the way you have reacted to something that may or may not even happen in the RCAF

We could very well adapt X airframe technicians, where AVN/AVS are the same. New platforms like the F-35 and maybe the P-8 will have technicians perform tire and engine changes one day and troubleshoot instruments the next. Will this extra workload bump these techs to Spec 2? It should IMO, you might see more interest for Cold Lake postings with the extra money.

I'll fix your planes for ya. I am sure there is a youtube video out there explaining how. Literally I tried fixing my tractor fuel line from youtube instructions. Then two weeks later, epic blow out. Seems I wasn't quite as good as I hoped.
So hell ya, I'll fix your planes for yer just don't complain to me about the rapid downsizing of the RCAF fleet.

Back