• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

US flag on US Army BDU'S

leopard11

Inactive
Reaction score
was just wondering why the flag on american BDU's is reversed (stars on the right side of the flag) as opposed to the typical stars on the left hand side of the flag, ive been wondering this for ever, and couldnt find any info anywhere,so if anybody knows let me know,
reference the flag on this uniform
index.php

What is it you want to know?  The flag is being displayed properly - with the star field to the wearer's front.

The stars always face forward because they are not suppost to face away from the battle. If you look at the other arm, they will be the "correct" way.

nbk said:
The stars always face forward because they are not suppost to face away from the battle. If you look at the other arm, they will be the "correct" way.

Just to expand on that, I read an article once that said the flags are placed like that as a throwback to the days of when they had flag-bearers who carried their flags into battle as rallying points. The idea being that as the flag-bearer ran forward, the flag would have the stars closest to the direction he was charging; no matter which side you viewed it from. So, the shoulder flags supposedly mimic the same idea.

There's a blurb about it on this page:
http://www.snopes.com/photos/military/patch.asp

Tribal Jedi said:
Just to expand on that, I read an article once that said the flags are placed like that as a throwback to the days of when they had flag-bearers who carried their flags into battle as rallying points. The idea being that as the flag-bearer ran forward, the flag would have the stars closest to the direction he was charging; no matter which side you viewed it from. So, the shoulder flags supposedly mimic the same idea.

There's a blurb about it on this page:
http://www.snopes.com/photos/military/patch.asp

yep you got it right.. we run towards the fight hence the flag being flown "backwards"...

To expand further... I was speaking to an American Col. while in Kabul and it goes back to the U.S. Calvary... in honour of them charging on horse back.

Interesting note, it's the same way on the Space Shuttle, on the starboard side of the fuselage. The stars face forward giving the backwards effect.

I asked the same question to a Yank in Sarejevo BiH a few months ago.....

It's to symbolise the "riding into battle with flag flying....bugle sounding" etc etc....

Regards

First one needs to understand flag terminology. The "hoist" is the part of the flag to which the rope is attached and which rides against the pole. The "fly" is the part that flaps in the wind. One can not proceed forwards with the "fly" leading.

Back