• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

US Election: 2016

According to the most recent poll(reuters/ipsos), trump's support has surged and is now tied with hillary Clinton nationally.

This is a a significant surge because the last poll had him 13 points behind hillary.

So much for the he will never win camp.

http://mobile.reuters.com/article/idUSKCN0Y21TN

I'm still hoping that he fires Trudeau once he wins.

Altair said:
According to the most recent poll(reuters/ipsos), trump's support has surged and is now tied with hillary Clinton nationally.

This is a a significant surge because the last poll had him 13 points behind hillary.

So much for the he will never win camp.

http://mobile.reuters.com/article/idUSKCN0Y21TN

I wouldn't put ant credence in polls until September. A day in politics is a lifetime.

Nate Silver rips Trump-Clinton polls in 8-part Twitter rant

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/05/nate-silver-trump-clinton-polls-223015

Nate Silver thinks it's time to pump the brakes on predicting the results of a Donald Trump-Hillary Clinton matchup in November.
"For f--k's sake, America. You're going to make go on a rant about general election polls -- in May?" the editor in chief of FiveThirtyEight wrote as part of a tweetstorm on Tuesday.

Silver said Clinton has an about 6 percent lead over Trump nationally, but cautioned: "It's early. Trump could win. Also, he could lose in a landslide." He added that Trump's presumptive nomination and Clinton's ongoing battle with Bernie Sanders could be having an effect — "We'll know more in June."
The statistician said he wouldn't have polls of each state for "a few months."

He also warned his followers to check whether pollsters interview likely voters or registered voters.
"The election will go through a lot of twists and turns, and polls are noisy. Don't sweat individual polls or short-term fluctuations," Silver tweeted.

And they ain't gonna be voting for Trump.  :nod:

Trump’s candidacy sparking ‘a surge’ in citizenship, voter applications

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/trumps-candidacy-sparking-a-surge-in-citizenship-voter-applications/2016/05/11/33808f34-177a-11e6-924d-838753295f9a_story.html?hpid=hp_rhp-top-table-main_latinos-3pm%3Ahomepage%2Fstory

Donald Trump’s presidential campaign is spurring a record number of citizenship applications and increases in voter registration among Latinos upset by the candidate’s rhetoric and fearful of his plans to crack down on immigration.

Activists, lawmakers and political consultants around the country say Hispanics are flooding into citizenship workshops and congressional offices and jamming hotlines on how to become U.S. citizens or register to vote. Many say they are primarily motivated by the rise of Trump, who has proposed deporting 11 million undocumented immigrants and building a wall on the U.S.-Mexico border.

In California, the number of Hispanics registering to vote doubled in the first three months of this year compared with the same period in 2012, according to state data. In Texas, naturalization ceremonies in Houston have swelled to about 2,200 per month, compared with 1,200 before, according to an analysis by the Houston Chronicle. More than 80 percent of those naturalized then register to vote, compared with 60 percent previously.

According to the most recent national statistics, more than 185,000 citizenship applications were submitted in the final three months of 2015, up 14 percent from the year before and up 8 percent compared with the same period ahead of the 2012 elections.

Experts expect a similar, if not larger, uptick for the first three months of 2016 when new federal data is released in coming weeks.

“A surge in Latino engagement is coming,” said Ben Monterroso, executive director of Mi Familia Vota, a nonpartisan group registering Hispanics in six states. “Unsolicited, people tell you that ‘I’m becoming a citizen because I want to vote against Donald Trump’ or ‘I want to vote against the attacks on our community.’ ”

Rep. Luis V. Gutiérrez (D-Ill.), an outspoken advocate of immigration reform, said he’s seeing similar interest in his Chicago district, where his office helped more than 500 people apply for citizenship this spring — a record.

“I’ve done citizenship fairs throughout my career, and there’s something new going on,” he said Wednesday.

The increased activity comes as Trump has continued to anger immigrant and refu­gee rights activists with his words and campaign pledges. On Wednesday, he told Fox News that he might establish a commission to explore his call for a temporary travel ban on Muslims. Last week, Trump tweeted a photo of himself with a taco salad and the words “I love Hispanics!” on Cinco de Mayo, a Mexican holiday commemorating a military victory over French forces in the 1862 Battle of Puebla.

Supporters defend Trump’s travel ban and taco tweet as concern for U.S. security and a sincere overture to Hispanics. But some GOP leaders continue to warn that his candidacy will end any hope of Republicans winning over minorities.

“Eating a taco is probably not going to fix the problem we have with Hispanics,” Sen. Lindsey O. Graham (R-S.C.) told CNN last week in response to the tweet. “Embracing Donald Trump is embracing demographic death.”

The work by Monterroso’s nonpartisan group and Gutiérrez is part of the “Stand Up to Hate” coalition that said Wednesday that it helped 12,781 people apply for citizenship in several states in March and April. That is part of broader efforts by several groups, including the Democratic Party and Spanish-language broadcaster Univision, to help millions of people apply for citizenship or register to vote this year.

The coalition involved in Wednesday’s announcement includes the Service Employees International Union, the United Food and Commercial Workers International Union and the Latino Victory Foundation. Collectively, they held more than 300 events in March and April nationwide.

Astrid Silva, organizing director with the Progressive Leadership Alliance of Nevada, said she had more than 500 people turn out for a citizenship workshop in Las Vegas last month. Most in the crowd were older people who have lived in the United States legally for decades but never became citizens.

“I met a man who’d been a resident for 45 years, and he said in Spanish: ‘I hadn’t wanted to do this. I didn’t see a purpose.’ But he added, ‘This year, I’m going to do it because I’m tired of sitting down,’ ” she said.

The rate of citizenship applications and voter registrations historically swells in the months leading up to a presidential election as state deadlines draw near. But this year’s increased activity comes as demographers anticipate that this will be the most racially and ethnically diverse election in U.S. history. Nearly a third of eligible voters will be racial minorities, due mostly to growth among Hispanics, according to the Pew Research Center.

Rep. Joaquin Castro (D-Tex.), who represents the San Antonio area, said a citizenship workshop in his district drew more legal permanent residents concerned by Trump’s calls to deport undocumented immigrants.

“Their concern is not unfounded,” Castro said. “Is he going to stop with people who are undocumented? He seems like a quick step away from saying if you’re not a citizen, we don’t want permanent residents either.”

Increases are also happening in battleground states with smaller but growing blocs of Hispanic voters that Democrats hope can help them win local, statewide and congressional races.

In Iowa, labor leaders believe that five times as many Hispanics voted in presidential caucuses this year as voted in 2008. In Georgia and North Carolina, the jump in voter registration among Latinos was larger than the increase among whites or blacks.

Albert Morales, a former Democratic National Committee operative who handled Hispanic issues, called the latest trends “a very positive development.” But he warned that Democrats and like-minded groups need to spend millions more to register and mobilize Hispanics voters if they want to win more congressional races.

Monterroso, 58, emigrated from Guatemala in 1977 and has devoted his career to helping Hispanics apply to become citizens and register to vote. He said that the GOP’s embrace of Trump is “scary,” but that the increase in Latino registrations “is music to my ears.”

He cited the story of Yanely Gonzalez, 17, a high school senior from Denver whose parents came illegally from Mexico. She will be old enough to vote in November and is helping Mi Familia Vota register others in Colorado. Last week, she introduced President Obama at a Cinco de Mayo celebration at the White House.

“I believe in the power of my vote, because it’s equal to any other person’s,” she told the crowd in the White House East Room. “My vote counts as much as anyone else’s. It doesn’t matter where my parents were born or the color of their skin.”

I doubt Trump will casually default on debt, although I suppose that is his call to make.  It would be interesting if he is thinking about stiffing purely public debt holders, or also stiffing government agencies on their markers for intragovernmental debt.  For now I suppose he means what most people would interpret his remarks to mean: holders of public (tradeable) US federal debt.

When perusing figures for US debt, pay attention to whether they represent gross or public debt (the former includes the money the government owes to itself).  The second of the "infographics" linked above appears to be based (given the numbers) on gross debt, which tends to overstate the appearance of debt growth during the Bush administration.  Total deficits during the Bush administration only add up to about $2 trillion, not $4 trillion.  US federal public debt was last around $5 trillion in 1995, not 2007 (when it was $9 trillion).  It is currently over $19 trillion.

Brad Sallows said:
I doubt Trump will casually default on debt, although I suppose that is his call to make.  It would be interesting if he is thinking about stiffing purely public debt holders, or also stiffing government agencies on their markers for intragovernmental debt.  For now I suppose he means what most people would interpret his remarks to mean: holders of public (tradeable) US federal debt.

It shows Trumps ignorance about the reality of the powers of each branch of government, and the reality of the US Debt.

He has no power to default, renegotiate or add to or servicing of the debt. Only Congress has that power.

The more Trump becomes a potential resident of 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue, the more it shows the foresight that the founding fathers had about not the office become the supreme power of government.

I wanted to say he probably doesn't get many policy ideas from his butler...but I can't say that with any confidence

FJAG said:
On Facebook, Trump's Longtime Butler Calls for Obama to Be Killed
"This pr*ck needs to be hung for treason!!!"

http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2016/05/trump-butler-anthony-senecal-facebook-kill-obama

This circus just can't get any funnier.  :rofl:

:cheers:

But wait, it gets better.

In a phone interview on NBC earlier today:

He wants to nuke Detroit and Milwaukee.

The Obama's aren't the real parents of the kids.

Trump butler thinks Obama should be ‘hung’

http://www.msnbc.com/msnbc/trump-butler-thinks-obama-should-be-hung

You really can't make this up.  :rofl:

cupper said:
But wait, it gets better.

In a phone interview on NBC earlier today:

He wants to nuke Detroit and Milwaukee.

The Obama's aren't the real parents of the kids.

Trump butler thinks Obama should be ‘hung’

http://www.msnbc.com/msnbc/trump-butler-thinks-obama-should-be-hung

You really can't make this up.  :rofl:
Does that mean when Trump loses we can say the butler did  it?

Sad, it's come to this......    ;)

517201622381061434.jpg

Donald Trump sucks up to panders to gets the endorsement of the NRA.

Not really a big surprise any way you look at it.

'I Will Never Let You Down,' Trump Tells National Rifle Association

http://www.npr.org/2016/05/20/478864228/i-will-never-let-you-down-trump-tells-national-rifle-association?utm_source=facebook.com&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=npr&utm_term=nprnews&utm_content=20160520

The National Rifle Association endorsed Donald Trump on Friday, just before the apparent Republican nominee addressed its annual conference in Louisville, Ky.

"To get the endorsement, believe me, is a fantastic honor," Trump said, adding that he and his sons are members of the NRA. "They're much better shooters than I am," he said.

"They have so many rifles and so many guns, I tell you, sometimes even I get a little concerned," Trump said.

Saying the Second Amendment is "under attack" and "on the ballot in November," Trump laid out his case as the best candidate for protecting gun rights and he hit at Hillary Clinton's stance on guns. He also called her "unqualified to serve as president of the United States." (Trump was invoking Bernie Sanders, who questioned Clinton's qualifications at a debate.)

"The only way to save our Second Amendment is to vote for someone you know named Donald Trump," he said. "I will never let you down."

Trump also called for gun-free zones, which he also called for in a tweet last summer. "We're getting rid of them," he said. He spoke about the 2015 shooting in Chattanooga, Tenn., that killed five people and occurred in a gun-free zone on a military installation.

However, several Trump properties, including Mar-a-Lago and Trump International Hotel in Chicago, tell NPR that guns are not allowed on the premises.

Clinton and Trump, now likely opponents in the general election, are sure to increasingly clash on the issue. Clinton favors stricter background checks and holding dealers and manufacturers liable for crimes committed with their weapons.

"Hillary Clinton wants to abolish the Second Amendment ... we're going to preserve it, we're going to cherish it, we're going to protect it," Trump said. "Crooked Hillary Clinton is the most anti-gun, anti-Second Amendment candidate ever to run for office." Trump also called Clinton a "heartless hypocrite" for wanting to "take away guns," while having bodyguards for protection.

Trump, meanwhile, said he would "guarantee that law-abiding Americans have the right to self-defense, 100 percent."

"Without defense, we don't have a country," he said, adding that he feels it is more important than economic issues.

This campaign, Trump has previously vowed to "totally protect" the Second Amendment, and has said more gun ownership would help prevent mass shootings. He echoed that theory in his remarks Friday while talking about recent shootings in Paris and San Bernardino, Calif. "If we had guns on the other side, it wouldn't have been that way," he said. "I would have — boom," he continued, making a gun gesture.

Trump's current stance on guns is a shift from the candidate's earlier statements on the issue.

In 2000, he supported a ban on assault weapons and longer waiting periods, as he wrote in his book The America We Deserve (h/t NPR's Sarah McCammon):

"I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With today's Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record."

Well unlike Canada we do enjoy gun ownership which is protected under the Constitution.If the liberals had their way they would disarm the populace,which makes me very uncomfortable.

We have heard a lot of press about how Trump is tearing apart the Republican Party. However, the Democrats seem to be having a similair problem as the infighting between Hilary and Saunders continues. This article, reproduced under the usual caveats of the Copyright Act, hilights the problems the Hilary camp is having.

Clinton fury with Sanders grows
By Amie Parnes - 05/20/16 06:00 AM EDT

In public, Hillary Clinton's aides and allies have kept their anger checked, decrying the rowdy outbursts at Nevada’s state convention last weekend but saying they believe Sanders will ultimately do the right thing by helping to unite the Democratic Party.

Behind the scenes, however, they are seething that statements by the Vermont senator are just making matters worse by further alienating his supporters from Clinton, the front-runner for the party's presidential nomination.

The continued combat on the left is also complicating Clinton’s efforts to fully turn her attention to presumptive Republican nominee Donald Trump, who is reveling in the Democratic feuding.

“This is the worst-case scenario and the one people feared the most,” said one Clinton ally and former Clinton aide.

“Unfortunately, he’s choosing the path of burning down the house,” the ally said. “He continues with character attacks against Hillary. He continues with calling the Democratic Party corrupt, and he not only risks damaging Hillary Clinton and the Democratic Party but he's currently doing it."

Clinton allies say Sanders is only piling on by insisting that Clinton join him for a debate ahead of California's primary on June 7. The debate would be aired on Fox News, a network Clinton supporters see as fanning the flames between Sanders supporters and the former secretary of State.

A second ally said Sanders should stop criticizing the party and the front-runner’s supporters even if he continues to fight for delegates through the six state contests on June 7.

“It’s inappropriate at this point, and I hate to tell him, it’s not helping him in the long run. It’s only hurting her,” the ally said. “The Republican Party has their nominee, and he’s free and clear of his Republican opponents and is taking shots at Hillary. We need to move closer to that process, and he’s not helping."

In an interview on CNN Thursday, Clinton projected extreme confidence that she will be her party’s nominee. The remarks could be read as a signal to Sanders that he should get real with his supporters about his chances of winning the nomination.

“I will be the nominee for my party, Chris,” the former first lady told CNN's Chris Cuomo. “That is already done in effect. There is no way I won't be.”

She added that Sanders “has to do his part to unify the party.”

“He said the other day that he'll do everything possible to defeat Donald Trump. He said he'd work seven days a week. I take him at his word,” Clinton said. “I think the threat that Donald Trump poses is so dramatic to our country, to our democracy and our economy that I certainly expect Sen. Sanders to do what he said he would.”

Clinton currently leads Sanders by 274 pledged delegates, according to The Associated Press’s totals. Including superdelegates, the party officials who have their own votes in the contest, Clinton is 760 delegates ahead of Sanders and just 90 total delegates away from the 2,383 needed to clinch the party's presidential nomination.

Sanders has argued that he can convince superdelegates to switch their loyalty and that he could cut into Clinton’s lead with pledged delegates by winning California. But Clinton only needs to win 10 percent of the remaining delegates to secure the nomination.

Clinton's comments to CNN triggered a fiery response from the Sanders campaign.
“In the past three weeks voters in Indiana, West Virginia and Oregon respectfully disagreed with Secretary Clinton," campaign spokesman Michael Briggs said in a statement. "We expect voters in the remaining eight contests also will disagree."

Supporters of the Vermont senator have claimed the primary has been stolen from their candidate because of the use of superdelegates and closed state contests at which only Democrats may vote.

Some Democratic officials have criticized Sanders for feeding those sentiments, which have frustrated Clinton supporters given their candidate's lead in virtually every metric in the race.

“To his supporters who are grousing about the fact that everything is rigged — it’s not rigged,” Sen. Barbara Boxer (D-Calif.), who was booed off the stage by Sanders supporters at the Nevada convention, said on CNN on Wednesday.

“You know, we’ve had elections. Hillary has more votes,” Boxer continued. “And Hillary has more delegates, not even counting superdelegates. So I think we need to look at … what is at stake here. And let me tell you what’s at stake here: everything. Everything that we believe in.” 

Several polls this week have forecast a competitive general election fight between Clinton and Trump, unnerving some Democrats.

“He needs to stop doing this or Donald Trump will win,” one of Clinton allies said. “While his intentions started off in the best of ways, he’s shown he has no loyalty to the Democratic Party. One hopes he understands that his actions could result in giving Donald Trump the nuclear launch codes.”

The polls, however, could give more ammunition to Sanders, who says he would be a stronger candidate in the fall against Trump.

"With almost every national and state poll showing Sen. Sanders doing much, much better than Secretary Clinton against Donald Trump, it is clear that millions of Americans have growing doubts about the Clinton campaign," Briggs said in Thursday's statement.

Democrats continue to point out that the party survived a bitter 2008 primary between Clinton and then-Sen. Barack Obama.

Seth Bringman, who served as a spokesman for the Ready for Hillary super-PAC, said he believes the party will inevitably come together.

“The events in Nevada and some of the posts on social media get a lot of attention, but it doesn't represent the sentiment of the 10 million Americans who have voted for Sen. Sanders,” Bringman said.

“What I hear from Sanders voters in Ohio is, 'I agreed with him more on this issue or that issue, but I'm voting for Hillary in November.'

“Sen. Sanders will decide what he does and when, but the vast majority of both candidates' supporters don't wrap themselves up in every latest statement or headline — and that's reassuring for everyone who wants to stop Donald Trump.”

Article link

Servergate catching up to Hillary Clinton...

Associated Pres

Report traces arc of Hillary Clinton server, agency failures
[Stephen Braun, Jack Gillum And Chad Day, The Associated Press]

May 26, 2016

WASHINGTON - Eight days before Hillary Clinton took office as secretary of state in January 2009, an aide to former President Bill Clinton quietly registered a new internet address for the couple. That trivial but deliberate online purchase is the earliest known hint of the private email system that now plagues the presumptive Democratic nominee's presidential campaign.

Buried in a footnote in a government watchdog's report released Wednesday , the reference to the registration of clintonemail.com was an early step toward building what became the private homebrew email system that has attracted an FBI investigation and raised questions about Clinton's judgment while serving as the nation's top diplomat.

(...SNIPPED)

Trump: The Opera

http://www.cbc.ca/radio/becausenews/opera-star-ben-heppner-sings-trump-quotes-plus-trudeau-s-sexcation-and-skinny-tv-shows-1.3603594/opera-star-ben-heppner-sings-the-role-of-donald-trump-1.3603977

Neocon and psychic Bill Kristol has thrown a wrench into the Trump party unification process.

Bill Kristol Announces, ‘There Will Be An Independent Candidate’

http://www.breitbart.com/2016-presidential-race/2016/05/29/bill-kristol-will-independent-candidate/

Neoconservative political operative Bill Kristol announced Sunday that an independent candidate will enter the presidential race to challenge both Donald Trump and the Democratic Party nominee.

Kristol, the editor of The Weekly Standard, has been trying for months to find a third-party challenger since his preferred candidates lost in the Republican primaries to Trump. Now, just weeks after meeting with Mitt Romney to talk about a third-party run, Kristol hinted Sunday that his plot is coming to fruition.

Just a heads up over this holiday weekend: There will be an independent candidate--an impressive one, with a strong team and a real chance.

Kristol made his announcement on the same day that Gary Johnson locked up the Libertarian Party nomination for president. However, the Libertarian Party is not an “independent” ticket.

Kristol has floated names including Mitt Romney, Tom Cotton, and Marco Rubio as potential third-party spoilers to run on his “Latter-Day Republicans” ticket. Kristol recently met with Romney in Washington, D.C., to talk about the idea.

The Republican National Committee has already condemned Kristol’s third-party scheme as “helping to elect Hillary Clinton.”

Kristol’s attempt to get retired Marine Corps general James Mattis to run failed when Mattis turned him down.

Romney has consistently bashed Trump throughout this election cycle, even after Trump became the presumptive Republican nominee.

And Trump has predictably responded in his predictable manner

Trump jabs at Bill Kristol over independent candidate prediction

http://www.cnn.com/2016/05/29/politics/bill-kristol-donald-trump-independent-candidate/

Donald Trump took aim Sunday night at Weekly Standard Editor William Kristol, who suggested on Twitter that news of an "impressive" independent conservative presidential candidate is forthcoming.

In a series of tweets, Trump criticized Kristol, calling him a "dummy" and "an embarrassed loser," suggesting the pundit reflects a lack of party unity that could affect the ideological composition of the Supreme Court.

"The Republican Party has to be smart & strong if it wants to win in November. Can't allow lightweights to set up a spoiler Indie candidate!" Trump tweeted.

Kristol did not give any indication of who the candidate might be, other than saying the person will have a "strong team and a real chance."
"Just a heads up over this holiday weekend: There will be an independent candidate--an impressive one, with a strong team and a real chance," Kristol tweeted.

Reached for comment Monday morning, Kristol would only say, "Still lots of I's to dot and T's to cross."

A persistent critic of the presumptive GOP nominee, Kristol has repeatedly been the center of rumblings and machinations around a possible independent bid.

Earlier in May, Kristol met with former Republican presidential nominee Mitt Romney to discuss possible options for independent candidates.
On Monday evening Kristol noted that Trump had been paying attention to his missives, tweeting:

"I'm traveling, so hadn't realized I'd so upset @realDonaldTrump. I'm sorry the mere mention of an independent candidate has so unnerved him."

And in case anyone thinks Kristol is a political genius, let me remind you he was the one who thought Palin was the prime choice for a running mate for McCain, and the future of the GOP.

The GOP Should Always Do the Opposite of What Bill Kristol Says
The man who helped bring us the Iraq War and Sarah Palin says Republicans are in danger of being too self-critical. How would he know?

http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2013/01/the-gop-should-always-do-the-opposite-of-what-bill-kristol-says/267362/

As President Obama begins his second term, having soundly defeated Republicans twice, The Weekly Standard's Bill Kristol is advising his fellow partisans to avoid being too hard on themselves. "Republican self-criticism is necessary and healthy, but all things in moderation," he says. "Republicans can and should say, with considerable justification and only a bit of bravado: It is past time we ceased to apologize for an imperfect political party. Find its equal. Probably more than any other party in the world, the Republicans have in recent decades stood unflinchingly for the cause of liberty abroad, and, at home, with a bit more uncertainty, for limited, constitutional government and for the principle that government exists to serve free men and free markets."

Actually, Republicans flinched from supporting the cause of liberty during the Cold War when it conflicted with anti-communism, and regularly flinch from doing so in the War on Terror, too. (Ahem.) And if the actions of John Ashcroft, John Yoo, David Addington, Dick Cheney, and George W. Bush constitute support for "limited, constitutional government," the words have no meaning.

But set all that aside.

What's truly astonishing is Kristol's total obliviousness to why self-criticism might be warranted in foreign affairs: For the last decade, even the places where Republicans earnestly did want to spread liberty have turned into costly debacles. They had dubious notions of what the military could accomplish. They failed to execute. They stubbornly denied anything was amiss for far too long. And as a result, Republicans, especially neoconservatives, lost the trust of American voters.

Democrats are now more trusted in the realm of foreign affairs.

Why might that be?

One reason is that people like Bill Kristol remain influential foreign-policy voices in the Republican Party, despite a stunning dearth of self-criticism for the catastrophic advise they've given.

Cast your memory back to the winter of 2002. The Senate Foreign Relations Committee calls Bill Kristol himself to testify. Here are some of the things he says:

The larger question with respect to Iraq, as with Afghanistan, is what happens after the combat is concluded. The Iraqi opposition lacks the military strength of the Afghan Northern Alliance; however, it claims a political legitimacy that might even be greater. And, as in Kabul but also as in the Kurdish and Shi'ite regions of Iraq in 1991, American and alliance forces will be welcomed in Baghdad as liberators. Indeed, reconstructing Iraq may prove to be a less difficult task than the challenge of building a viable state in Afghanistan. The political, strategic and moral rewards would also be even greater. A friendly, free, and oil-producing Iraq would leave Iran isolated and Syria cowed; the Palestinians more willing to negotiate seriously with Israel; and Saudi Arabia with less leverage over policymakers here and in Europe. Removing Saddam Hussein and his henchmen from power presents a genuine opportunity -- one President Bush sees clearly -- to transform the political landscape of the Middle East.

Into Iraq we went, just as he advised. The invasion and occupation cost more in lives and treasure than anyone in the Republican Party ever predicted and lasted years longer than most Americans expected. Was Iran isolated? Was Syria cowed? Did the Palestinians start negotiating? Does Saudi Arabia now lack leverage over the United States? No, no, no, and no.*

Little wonder that Kristol is wary of too much Republican self-criticism. Serious scrutiny of past failures couldn't help but illuminate how much damage the GOP has suffered due to its embrace of neoconservative ideology, and how much it stands to gain by distancing itself from people so tenuously connection to reality that they still insist that the Iraq War was a good idea. (And that Sarah Palin was the right VP pick in 2008.)

Says Daniel Larison at The American Conservative:

The Republican Party has many afflictions and problems today, but a lack of triumphalism about its own virtues isn't one of them .... Reviewing the GOP's record over the past decade of massive foreign policy failure, executive overreach, expansion of government, growth of the national security state, support for torture and indefinite detention, and government bailouts, there are not many willing to celebrate the party for its "unflinching" defense of the causes of liberty and limited, constitutional government. The simple reason for that is that it does not deserve to be celebrated .... Republican leaders can't cease to apologize for their party's flaws now that they have only just begun to acknowledge them. Self-criticism is supposed to be an uncomfortable and humbling experience, not a brief prelude to more self-congratulation. 

Exactly.

One way to verify that Republicans failed to adequately grapple with the past is whether they ever again invite Bill Kristol to testify before the Senate Foreign Relations Committee, barring a George Costanza-like epiphany persuading him that the opposite of his instinct would usually be better advice.

*Marvel at Kristol's uncanny knack for making terrible predictions.

Trump finally gets the endorsement that he needs to seal election to the White House.

North Korean state newspaper praises Donald Trump as 'wise' and 'far-sighted'

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/05/31/north-korean-state-newspaper-praises-donald-trump-as-wise-and-fa/

Donald Trump has won the backing of a major newspaper - in North Korea.

DPRK Today, the official state paper of Kim Jong-un's regime, published an editorial on Tuesday calling Mr Trump a "wise politician" and "far-sighted presidential candidate".

It was Mr Trump's hands-off policies toward Asia that earned him the plaudits of the author, identified as a Chinese North Korean scholar named Han Yong Mook.

"Trump said he will not get involved in the war between the South and the North," the article says, according to a translation. "Isn't this fortunate from the North Koreans' perspective?"

Mr Trump said recently that he would be open to direct communications with Mr Kim, in a break with the long-standing policy of freezing out the country's antagonistic regime.

He has also warned America's Asian allies, including South Korea and Japan, that he will withdraw US troops if they do not contribute more toward the costs associated with basing them there.

The presumptive Republican nominee has more broadly advocated an "America First" foreign policy that would see the US play a less forceful role in disputes beyond its borders.

While calling on America to adopt those policies immediately, the article urges US voters not to choose Mr Trump's "dull" rival, Hillary Clinton, in November's election.

“The president that US citizens must vote for is not that dull Hillary – who claimed to adapt the Iranian model to resolve nuclear issues on the Korean Peninsula – but Trump, who spoke of holding direct conversation with North Korea.”

One expert on the region says the editorial is an indication that the North Korean government is "testing the waters" of supporting Mr Trump.

“This is very striking,” Aidan Foster-Carter of the University of Leeds told NK News.“Admittedly it is not exactly Pyongyang speaking, or at least not the DPRK government in an official capacity. But it is certainly Pyongyang flying a kite, or testing the waters."

This is the sort of thing which could make an election. Trust the Legacy Media and their enablers to ignore the story for as long as possible, since it hurts their narrative of Hillary's coronation. (That is if Sanders, the server, Benghazi, the Clinton Foundation, complete lack of accomplishment as Secretary of State, etc. etc. don't...oh wait, these things aren't reported either)

https://pjmedia.com/instapundit/235300-2

CRAZY BARRY’S IS HAVING A HALF-OFF SALE! “Bank of America gets half off its Justice Dept. settlement…by giving millions of dollars to liberal groups approved by the Obama administration:”

The bank has wiped about $194 million off its record $16.6 billion 2014 mortgage settlement by donating to nonprofits and legal groups. Thanks to little-known provisions in the settlement, the bank only had to make $84 million in donations to do that.

The bank wasn’t exploiting any loophole. It’s a key part of the deal the Justice Department offered to get it to settle in the first place. For every dollar the bank has given the nonprofits — none of which were victims of fraud themselves — it has claimed at least two dollars off the settlement. The deal ensured the Obama administration that a certain part of the settlement funds would go to friendly liberal groups, bypassing the normal congressional appropriations.

Among the groups receiving the money were Hispanic civil rights group the National Council of La Raza ($1.5 million), the National Urban League ($1.1 million) and the Neighborhood Assistance Corporation of America ($750,000).

“This is nothing short of a shakedown and another example of how the Obama administration is rigging the system to benefit their political allies. Instead of directing settlements directly to victims or returning the money to the U.S. Treasury, President Obama set up a slush fund for community organizers and other liberal activists. This is outrageous,” said Rep. Sean Duffy, R-Wis., chairman of the Financial Services Committee’s Oversight and Investigations Subcommittee.

It’s quite a racket – the 2008 financial crisis was caused by the Clinton administration massively expanding Jimmy Carter’s Community Reinvestment Act, forcing banks to give high-risk loans to those who had no business owning a home, in a textbook example of Reynolds’ Law run amok. Now in its wreckage, Bank of America is shaken down for billions by the same party that created the CRIA. And of course, no one in the MSM will ask Hillary about her husband’s involvement in the debacle – instead, as this NewsBusters headline today notes, “NY Mag Writer Begs Media to ‘Stop Bugging Hillary Clinton!’”

Back