• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Unveiling of New CANSOFCOM Dress Uniform

Fred Herriot said:
One quick question (and apologies for starting up this chat again):  Will officers entitled to wear the CANSOFCOM DEU that came from RCAF or RCN be allowed to wear their old environmental rank insignia (pearl-grey for RCAF, black-trimmed-gold stripes with Elliot's Eye for RCN officers) or is it all the same as the Army rank insignia?

From the CAF Dress Instructions (3-2-3):

14. Canadian Special Operations Forces Command officers who are qualified operators or in select senior
appointments and entitled to wear the CANSOFCOM DEU shall wear the same rank insignia as Army
officers as illustrated in Figure 3-2-1 and Figure 3-2-2, with correctly coloured shoulder straps or slip-ons,
and their wear is detailed in Annex A.

LogOLife said:

14. Canadian Special Operations Forces Command officers who are qualified operators or in select senior
appointments and entitled to wear the CANSOFCOM DEU shall wear the same rank insignia as Army
officers as illustrated in Figure 3-2-1 and Figure 3-2-2, with correctly coloured shoulder straps or slip-ons,

Thanks for making that clear to me.  Needed to know that for a fanfic story I'm writing.

LogOLife said:

So, theoretically, a LCdr could end up being a Maj?

Fred Herriot said:
Thanks for making that clear to me.  Needed to know that for a fanfic story I'm writing.

I look forward to seeing 50 Shades of Tan published.

PuckChaser said:
Why would they wear non-CANSOF accouterments on a CANSOF DEU? Seems to me the whole reason why they got a new DEU was because they had Operators/Assaulters/CBRN dudes from the RCN/RCAF/CA wearing Regimental/Environmental accouterments/trade badges for environments they'd never go back to.
I know of many RCN  officers who came back to the navy after a stint with the SOF folks.

Fred Herriot said:
:rofl: :rofl: Doubt I could publish something like that!

Given that it's CANSOF, the book would read like this:

Redacted-Document-2.png

FSTO said:
I know of many RCN  officers who came back to the navy after a stint with the SOF folks.

Why wouldn't they?  The whites look dope!

I've never understood the point of CANSOF DEU, considering it's a command and not an environment.

Humphrey Bogart said:
Why wouldn't they?  The whites look dope!

I've never understood the point of CANSOF DEU, considering it's a command and not an environment.
The current CDS considers them as a 4th environment, equal to CA, RCN, and RCAF.

PuckChaser said:
The current CDS considers them as a 4th environment, equal to CA, RCN, and RCAF.

Which is stupid and a perfect example of personality driven policy.  It is a joint command with units that draw personnel from all three environments. 

What would make sense is for a unit like CSOR to have their own dress uniform they wear on parades as it is a Regiment but a completely new set of DEU?  Common!

To show the stupidity of this:

ont-mtog-at-cic-toronto-8-march.jpg

I guess the OC of MTOG should be running around in CANSOF DEU, wearing a major's rank while correcting everyone telling them he is in fact a Lieuntenant-Commander.

Then you've got others like the current CANSOF Comd who has never been a qualified operator or assaulter wearing CANSOF DEU while others in the Comd are wearing their old environmental DEU with a tan beret to indicate they are "supporters".

I could buy the CANSOF is an "environment" and a "command" argument but what the CAF needs to desperately get better at is CONSISTENCY.  Either everyone in the Command wears it or no one wears it. 

PuckChaser said:

Which only goes to show that even the CDS is confused by some CAF notions: The RCN, CA and RCAF are NOT environments - they are CAF Commands. The environments are Sea, Land and Air. The tags inside my DEU says DEU Sea, not DEU Navy. Probably rare, but you could conceivably have a Log officer wearing (being assigned) an Air DEU and spend her whole career working in and at bases under the CA or RCN control, for instance.

And, BTW, once you decide that the environments are sea, land and air, that doesn't leave much room for another one on planet earth.  ;D

Oldgateboatdriver said:
Which only goes to show that even the CDS is confused by some CAF notions: The RCN, CA and RCAF are NOT environments - they are CAF Commands. The environments are Sea, Land and Air. The tags inside my DEU says DEU Sea, not DEU Navy. Probably rare, but you could conceivably have a Log officer wearing (being assigned) an Air DEU and spend her whole career working in and at bases under the CA or RCN control, for instance.

And, BTW, once you decide that the environments are sea, land and air, that doesn't leave much room for another one on planet earth.  ;D

What about 'Space'? We have to keep up with our southern Joneses' don't we? ;)

Oldgateboatdriver said:

Cyber environment  ;D

jhqf2pejyra01.jpg

Oldgateboatdriver said:
Does the red fedora denote that the cyber operator is also Cyber SAR qualified ???

:D

Policing....OGBD, as in policing the Interwebz.  SAR is orange. ;)

Good2Golf said:
Policing....OGBD, as in policing the Interwebz.  SAR is orange. ;)

Yes!  And the wrist guards are a great example of the CAF taking the initiative and dealing with the injuries their Cyber Warriors will most definitely incur in the service of her Majesty! 

Carpel Tunnel Syndrome? NP!  You won't even need to go through VAC to get these!

An interesting choice in uniform colour and style. Not a bad idea at first but as the US Army is now returning to pinks and greens our special forces now are dressed like Americans. Guess we jumped the gun on this one.

Back