• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Unfair Treatment

• Thread starter Thread starter RMCStudent
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
R

RMCStudent

Currently, I am enrolled as a civilian in the MA program in War Studies at the Royal Military College (an established field dedicated to an examination of the phenomenon of war and peace, bringing scholarly insight and academic discipline to bear on the practical issues of defense policy, peacekeeping, strategic planning, as well as the operational aspects of modern warfare).

In November 2003, I visited the Recruitment Centre in Kingston hoping to enroll as an officer in the Canadian Forces. After filling all the paperwork and providing the official documentation, the sergeant in charge of recruitment has told me that it is a matter of days or weeks before I will be called for the physical and psychological exams.

Having no news from the Recruitment Centre, six weeks later, I went back to inquire as to my application. There, I spoke with the head of the office, Captain McBean. He explained to me that although I am a Canadian citizen, the army cannot accept my application since I was not born in Canada. Moreover, he added, I was born in the Soviet Union, and Canadians born in the Soviet Union will not be accepted in the CF. I tried to explain that I was not born in the Soviet Union, but Romania, which is now part of the same military alliance as Canada, but to no avail. He seemed adamant in asserting that â Å“Canadians originally from the Soviet block will not and should not be accepted in the armyâ ?. Naturally, I tried to explain to him that all Canadians are equal in rights and I should not be treated discriminatorily. â Å“In this case, he replied, we are going to accept your application, but you're going to be subjected to an in-depth inquiry that will go on for two years or moreâ ?.

Ever since, I haven't got any news from the Recruitment Centre, no tests were performed, I don't even know if they still have my file or they threw it away.

This sounds strange.  It's true that people who were born in certain countries may have to go through a more lengthy security clearance process, but I do not think anyone's application should be subjected deliberately to unneccesary delays.  See if you can talk to someone else other than this captain at the recruiting centre. 

This is something you should really take to the ombudsman, especially with the trying to hire 5000 more members and such. He is aware of unfair treatment to recruits - don't hesitate to bring this up to him.

I heard a rumour that within the last few years the requirements had been changed so that, if you weren't born in Canada, you must have lived here for at least 10 years before you can join.  That's just a rumour, and the DND website doesn't say anything about it, so it's probably wrong.
The requirements can be found here:
http://www.recruiting.forces.gc.ca/engraph/howtojoin/eligibility_e.aspx

I was born in a communist country in europe and lived in canada for 6 years before I applied.  My background check took roughly a month.  The entire proccess from my application to being sworn in took less than 2 months.  I know that things have gotten worse recently due to concerns over immigration and terrorism, but there's no reason why your background check should take years.

RMCStudent,

Greywolf is right. Try talking to someone else at the CFRC and if that does not work, write a letter and address it to the Commanding Officer requesting an explanation on your situation.  I have never seen a situation like yours happen in that mannor, however; because you have not resided in Canada for at least 10 years, you will have go through a security pre-assessment which can take some time to complete.

Are you applying ROTP?

I was born in Azerbaijan, which used to be part of the soviet union. I've lived in Canada for 6 years now, and have applied for the army on April 2004. I did my aptitude test on June, and right after the test this guy called me into a room and told me that they have to run a background check on me, since I was born in a "scheduled" country, and have lived in Canada for less than 10 years. He also told me that the background checks can take anywhere from 1 to 3 years. I agreed to go ahead with it. Since then I was called one time, which was on August, and they told me to go to my local recruiting centre (Toronto), and sign some additional papers. When I got there, they told me that they already ran a criminal record check on me, and now they were going to send my papers to a background checking agency, and that the waiting time may vary depending on the country you are from. Never once have I been told that I can't join the army because I am from a country that was part of the former Soviet Union. In a diverse country like Canada I can't believe that the captain actually told you that. I have 7 Russian friends that are currently in the army, and 3 of them got sworn in just last year after they graduated from high school.

48Highlander,  If you lived in Canada for less than 10 years, it doesn't mean that you can't join. It just means that they are going to have to run a background check on you.

RMCStudent, Clearly, you should go and talk to somebody else at the recruiting centre..

Strange.  My dad was born in the Soviet Union and was able to join the RCMP in the 1960's.  He rose to the rank of S/Sgt and did a great deal of international liasion and federal work.  It was never once held him back.

Considering the paranoia was a fair amount higher in the 1960's than today towards the Soviets, for obvious reasons, I'm curious why the CF would still have a "concern" about citizens born there.

I have served with multiple members who were from Romania and the Soviet block. New and members who were in 10 years ago.

One of the recruiting Lieutenants in the Seaforths was born in Russia itself, obviously while it was still the largest province in the Soviet Union and he obviously got in.

Very strange, Captain McBean recommended me for Service, and was very good with me.  Granted, I'm not from the Soviet Block, but from my experince, the man is in every way respectable. 

However, the whole process at CFRC Kingston was far from enjoyable for me, I have to admit it was extrodinarily beaurocractic and extremely agitating at the time.  Took me about 10 months all told to get into the Canadian forces, and I have no criminal record, and I've lived here all my life.  Persistence is key, and you know what, even once your past that part, persistence throughout your career will be integral as well.  They're will be many more trying times during your trainning as well.

I don't buy that at all. On coure my officer, Lt Wassak from the Seaforths, was Polish, and had defected with his family in the 80's. His dad had been KGB and his mother a chemicle warfare technician; if that didn't screw him on his application, I can hardly see Romanian decent being a big deal.

Hi RMCStudent,

If you were not a part of Romanian defense forces....  It should be OK with you....  keep calling them every month and ask about status of your file.... Immigrants also pay taxes so they also have right to join Govt. jobs....  have patience....  your education is good....  hopefully you will get it....

Good luck....

Bobby

As having been a OC and DCO of a recruiting centre in the past I can offer you this advice.   It is normal that persons from scheduled countries will require a more thorough background check as noted by others above.   Officer applicants have to have the ability to gain a secret clearance so the requirements of the screening can be more indepth.   This is normal and can take a significant amount of time.

As far as the Captain's comments, I suggest you call him and clarify what he meant by his comments.   If he meant that people from scheduled countries can't join up directly in the army nor are they allowed to, he is correct.   The requirement for the security clearance is a federal requirement not something the army dreamed up.   Now, if you took this to mean he has a problem with people of East European or Soviet background joining the army, ie personal bias, then there is an issue to be addressed which is outside the recruiting process.

Threatening to call the ombudsman is a little premature and poor advice.   This is more likely a misscommunication than bias.   In my experience, new recruits, often unfamilar with military terminology sometimes missinterpret what was said.   Often recruiters, use to military terminology use it too often when speaking to recruit and cause confusion.   In many cases I would make the recruit repeat back in their own words to ensure they understood what I was saying.   In this case I recommend that you call back and get him to say again what he meant to ensure you have a full understanding.   If at the end of the day, he says that he hates Romanians or something bizarre like that, please drop me a line by email and I will assist you in how to proceed.

The whole recruiting process takes time unfortunately.   Many of the delays are paperwork demanded by Treasurary Board or other Federal departments.   Call the Captain back, have a chat and make sure you have the right data.   Remember he is correct when he said that you will require a thorough background check before your processing continues.   If you are serious, but in the paperwork for the background check and hopefully it will not take too long.   Also don't hesitate to contact me if you feel there is bias, or a concern outside of the administrative requirement to have the background screening.   Good luck

Jeff

You state above that you applied in Nov 2003.

My advice is to get back in there and apply (as it is Nov 2004).

Be determined and don't take 'no' for an answer.

You, as a CANADIAN CITIZEN, have the right to apply for a job in the CF.

And, make sure you book your tests when you go in there to apply, don't let them give you the old "don't call us, we'll call you" as you'll be sitting by the phone for years to come.

Also, try to the ResF route first, and then transfer to RegF -- this route is often much quicker.

Check out the PWOR or the Comms Squad. But, seeing as I'm in the Inf, my advice is to go to the PWOR.

He is a Canadian citizen and has the right to apply to join the CF which he has done already.  So there is no issue here.  The issue is to clarify what is the problem with his application as briefed to the applicant from the MCC.  If you are going to have an argument, it is best to know what you are arguing about.  Going off half cocked will not help anyone.

Jeff

Well, to me, it appears as though they didn't even process his application.

Simply saying, "Hey bud, you are from Russia -- too bad, so sad," does not appear to be much of a process. If they put the kybosh on your application, make sure you get their reason in wiriting -- it's the least they can do!

Again, you may want to go the route of ResF first, and then RegF, and see if this permits for the timely processing of your file.

So, all that said, I'm sticking by my first response! 

argylls_recruiting said:
Also, try to the ResF route first, and then transfer to RegF -- this route is often much quicker.

In what sense? Most recruiting horror stories come from this "transfer". Ive been trying to transfer for 11 mos now.....they've "lost" my file once, forgotten to call.....Im still waiting to do my medical......another 6 mos I should be in...Id like to know how thats faster

From every source I have heard -- going from Reserve to Regular force is much longer than walking off the street and applying.

For starters, my own father, a WO chief clerk has told me this, as well as both of his friends in recruiting (a sgt. and a cpt.) my mothers captain who she reports her university marks to etc (I forget the term but she's doing ROTP) said that res to reg is also much longer. One 2VP Sgt. and one 2VP Cpl. said the same thing.

On top of that, our neighbor went from Reserve to Regular force, and it took him 2 years for the entire process to complete. And, I am basically doing the same now. Although I left the reserves, my old documents are being called up, and it's taking darn near forever. They lost my medical documents and that slowed me down by 2 months. Recalling any other pertinent documents (course reports etc) are also taking even more time.

Simply put, I know for 100% that it's not faster, because I am experiencing it and the aforementioned people, mostly high ranking and 3 of them in the recruiting trade itself all told me that (unfortunately) it is much faster to simply walk in off the street and apply.

The recruiting Sgt. outright told me that the system is totally broken, and that it's ridiculous that someone already in the system will have to wait longer to go where they want as opposed to a totally untrained civilian applying.

Three points:

1. It may be quicker in that the processing time to get into the ResF is shorter than RegF. Rather than standing around with his dick in his hand waiting for board selection and training, he should be able to get into a ResF unit within a couple of months.

2. Apparently, they (CFRC) had expedited the processing for transfers from ResF to RegF. Now, I'm not saying this is a quick process for everyone, everywhere â “ but, many of our unit's members going RegF have been processed and employed within 6-9 months.

3. That said, it's not as if that 6-9 months is totally wasted, as you are still in the unit and doing training, ex's, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back