• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Uncle Sam wants Joey Crossman (a 7 year old)

D

D-n-A

http://www.msnbc.com/news/925958.asp?cp1=1#BODY

IN APRIL, the Marines, looking for a few good men, sent the boy a recruitment letter. Then came the Navy’s invitation last week.
“We’re just waiting for the Army and the Air Force,” said Joey’s mother, Kathy Crossman. “He’s probably the most wanted 7-year-old in the country.”
The Navy challenged Joey to “accelerate” his life.
“For every time someone said you couldn’t do it. Or you don’t have what it takes ... Prove them wrong,” the letter said.
“I can assure you the United States Navy is not in the business of recruiting 7-year-olds,” said Lt. Bill Davis, a spokesman for Navy Recruiting Command in Millington, Tenn. “Our minimal age is 17 with parental consent.
‘I just don’t want to live on a ship.’
— JOEY CROSSMAN
7-year-old sought by the Marines, then the Navy “But if he’s got interest in the Navy and he wants to find out more, we’ll help him. It has to start somewhere,” Davis added.
If the Navy wants Joey, it may have to make some changes to accommodate his standard of living.
Joey toured the USS Yorktown during a family trip to South Carolina in April and wasn’t impressed with the hard, impersonal bunks. “The bathrooms they had weren’t working,” Joey said. “I just don’t want to live on a ship.”

© 2003 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Back