• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Ukraine - Superthread

Good2Golf

Staff member
Directing Staff
Subscriber
Mentor
Reaction score
You should ask them?

But lets think about one aspect -- Israel and Pakistan had nukes long before they went public with them, and Taiwan isn't exactly technologically challenged.
Sure, Taiwan may supply 63% of the Earth’s entire production of semiconductors….

😉

Altair

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score
Which is easier for China? Cross into Taiwan - against the USN and USAF, Australians as well as Japanese, and SK and of course Taiwanese forces - or make an overland venture against an occupied Russia?
Keep in mind Russia and China have had sparring Div Arty matches across their border for years.
You know who wins in a China Russia nuke fest?

USA.

China and Russia are not stupid.

McG

Army.ca Legend
Reaction score
what's interesting is in this set of pics on the Ukrainian site - Ukrinform.net - which shows the change of leadership pics to the current Canadian operation leader, LCol Sarah Heer, is all of the pics showing the awarding of plaques/books and such are in front of the Ukrainian flag and the NATO flag......
Is Op UNIFIER sanctioned/supported/approved by NATO? If Swedish troops are under Canadian supervision for Op UNIFIER, why does their Ambassador agree to have their picture taken under the Ukrainian and NATO flags, does that make sense?
Op UNIFIER is not NATO or under any NATO umbrella.

The likely reason that you see the NATO flags is because the location of the larges Canadian contingent is at a facility that that was built as a NATO PfP training facility many years before Russia invaded Ukrainian. A lot of the décor reflects that largely dormant function.

Lancaster

Reaction score
U.S. says Russia is creating possible
"pretext for invasion" of Ukraine. see
video

...The official told CBS News on Friday the
Russian operatives were "trained in urban
warfare and in using explosives to carry
out acts of sabotage against Russia's own
proxy-forces," and could take action "several
weeks before a military invasion, which could
begin between mid-January and mid-February."
U.S. says Russia is creating possible "pretext for invasion" of Ukraine

Altair

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score
U.S. says Russia is creating possible
"pretext for invasion" of Ukraine. see
video

...The official told CBS News on Friday the
Russian operatives were "trained in urban
warfare and in using explosives to carry
out acts of sabotage against Russia's own
proxy-forces," and could take action "several
weeks before a military invasion, which could
begin between mid-January and mid-February."
U.S. says Russia is creating possible "pretext for invasion" of Ukraine
If the invasion doesn't begin during or shortly after the Olympics I would be shocked.

KevinB

Army.ca Fixture
Reaction score
You know who wins in a China Russia nuke fest?

USA.

China and Russia are not stupid.
If the invasion doesn't begin during or shortly after the Olympics I would be shocked.

People miscalculate all the time - NATO has already announced it's intent with the Ukraine.

Frankly if I was NATO I would simply build up on the Belarus border - maybe invade that tin pot dictator for kicks to annoy Putin, that's a lot closer than the Ukraine to Moscow.

Altair

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score
People miscalculate all the time - NATO has already announced it's intent with the Ukraine.

Frankly if I was NATO I would simply build up on the Belarus border - maybe invade that tin pot dictator for kicks to annoy Putin, that's a lot closer than the Ukraine to Moscow.
If you were NATO this wouldn't be happening.

We are in this situation because NATO isn't willing to risk military conflict with Russia.

As a further indication of how serious Russia is, I'm hearing talk of Russian forces being deployed to Cuba and Venezuela, which will no doubt make America very uneasy indeed.

MilEME09

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score

We are in this situation because NATO isn't willing to risk military conflict with Russia.

As a further indication of how serious Russia is, I'm hearing talk of Russian forces being deployed to Cuba and Venezuela, which will no doubt make America very uneasy indeed.
The question is are we talking just Russian infantry, or S-400 batteries, or heaven forbid hypersonic missiles which would trigger Cuba missile crisis 2.0

Altair

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score
The question is are we talking just Russian infantry, or S-400 batteries, or heaven forbid hypersonic missiles which would trigger Cuba missile crisis 2.0
Depends how mad Putin is about what NATO is doing. If we build up in the balkans or make things hard for them by supplying Ukraine I can see Hypersonic missiles in Cuba or Venezuela

KevinB

Army.ca Fixture
Reaction score

Russians again in Cuba or Venezuela would mean US troops - at the Corps level in Ukraine and a new flag in Belarus.

Altair

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score
Russians again in Cuba or Venezuela would mean US troops - at the Corps level in Ukraine and a new flag in Belarus.
Yeah, well, that's the level of geopolitical chess we seem to be playing now.

MilEME09

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score
Problem there is the Belarus has its own collective security alliance with Russia. If Russia let us take Belarus out, I'd be wonder what's going on in the Kremlin

Czech_pivo

Subscriber
Reaction score
Op UNIFIER is not NATO or under any NATO umbrella.

The likely reason that you see the NATO flags is because the location of the larges Canadian contingent is at a facility that that was built as a NATO PfP training facility many years before Russia invaded Ukrainian. A lot of the décor reflects that largely dormant function.
It’s not the issue of seeing NATO flags, it’s the fact that pics showing the CDN Ambassador and the former operations leader both accepting awards flanked by Ukrainian and NATO flags, not Ukkie and CDN flags. It’s gives the false sense that they are there under NATO and it’s things like this that further set the Russians off.

Czech_pivo

Subscriber
Reaction score
Why the assumption that Cuba would allow Russian troops or armaments now?

Colin Parkinson

Army.ca Legend
Reaction score
I suspect it would be better to do it away from Ukraine, but that will cost real dollars.

The flagship of the Ukrainian fleet, the Hetman Sahaidachnyi frigate, will be repaired and will undergo a large-scale modernization, reports Militarnyi with reference to the State Concern “Ukroboronprom”.