• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

These are the smaller communities Canadians are moving to

They built a bike lane on my street (with a 22 degree hill) taking out 160 parking spots that got used everyday, on average in non winter months 57 people use it every month going by collected data.

Problem is that your not a real "millionaire" unless you move to Ocean Falls. The price of housing is going up everywhere, diluting the value of our investment. Right now if both of us kick the bucket and my daughters got 50% of the house value each, they could still not afford a house with a $700,000 down payment , as they need a $500,000+ mortgage and no way they ever get that or be able to pay it if they did.
Hmmm…that’s counter to those who are pushing the tax. Clearly you and your children experience home ownership differently that the taxation proponents. I agree with you, for the record. The ‘tax the rich homeowners’ crown need to STFU.

Its funny in Halifax the city wants to install some bike lanes on residential streets in the south end, the richy rich hoity toity end of town.

They are up in arms about losing around 40 old trees.

Funny they never say a word though when driving down the 100 series highways to their "cottages" (mansions) about the clear cut logging that goes on...

I tell ya, throw a BMW, a mocha frappe whatever and some lululemon's at a doctors/lawyers/professors wife and you have all the making of new housewives reality show for Halifax.

I was talking to someone a month ago who was gushing about wanting to move to Squamish.

I sent him this article. He didn't thank me ;)

Garibaldi Lake a ticking time bomb?​

Quest professor receives funding to research lava barrier

Squamish is sitting below a ticking time bomb – just ask Steve Quane from Quest University.

The school’s professor of geology received $12,000 from an American educational institution in July 2014 to map and assess the danger of Garibaldi Lake.

The lake was formed more than 10,000 years ago from the eruption of Clinker peak. The lava flow formed a barrier in the valley. Dr. Quane’s research will map the bottom of the lake, which is the floor of the old valley.

The provincial government deemed the area immediately below the lake to be unsafe for human habitation in 1981 due to its instability in the face of volcanic and tectonic activity or heavy rainfall.

Quane’s research confirms the widely held belief that the lake could wipe out Squamish; if its barrier ever breaks, it would be catastrophic.

“The lava barrier is an unstable dam for this big lake in the mountains above a town,” he said. “The potential energy at 1,400 metres elevation, of 1 trillion litres of water, is 200 times the energy released by the bomb on Hiroshima.”

It’s not known when or if the barrier will ever collapse.

“Geologically, the chances of this happening are almost certain,” he said. “But the probability of it happening in our lifetime is really low.”
Quane’s research will allow him to get a calculation of the volume of the lake and give him a chance to analyze the bedrock contained in the barrier.

According to Quest student Greyson Herdman, the hazards of the lake are well known by the District of Squamish (DOS) but there’s not a lot the district can do. Herdman has been hired by the DOS to write a new flood report and has been examining the various water hazards the district faces.

“If the barrier were to explode or fall apart in an earthquake, the wave that would be produced by all that water flowing out of Garibaldi Lake down into Squamish would be 120 metres high,” he estimates.

“That’s what the DOS recognizes and doesn’t even talk about because we can’t do anything about it.”

Quane said the barrier is crumbling over time and there is rock continuously falling off the barrier. The reason for the decay could be because water escapes through the bottom of the barrier.

“Rubble Creek is actually draining from below the dam so one thing you could argue is that it is undermining the lava flow,” he said. “And that’s bad for the dam.”

Quane said his research will allow him to quantify how much dam there is, where it is and where the weak points are.

Quane’s funding lasts until July 2015. He plans to do two types of research. The first method takes place during the winter and they will bore holes into the ice to take water samples. The samples allow them to determine how the water system works. The second method will be used in the spring, when Quane and his team will map the bottom of the lake using a BC Parks boat, sonar and GPS.

He hopes to have more information on the stability of the barrier after his research, and he looks forward to understanding what he describes as the system of a stunningly beautiful geological spectacle.

My aunt and uncle, long time residents of Squamish since ‘79 ( when it literally was a one horse, or rather one light town) just moved to Sechelt. Squamish just lost it’s “charm”.

Trudeau denies repeatly, no taxes on principal residences. At lease three studies so far commissioned by the government. House over $1million could be taxed .5 to 1 % annually.
My house is now $850,000: next year @ 30% increase : $1.15 million.

Trudeau will spend all this revenue in a week.
The stupidity of this concept just boggles the mind.

Most municipalities already charge their real property assessments based on property values (mostly, and thankfully, already lagging far behind FMV).

Most homeowners are already carrying massively large mortgages which are only maintainable as a result of continuing low interest rates.

Even if all we are talking about is taxing a house on the FMV above $1,000,000 million we are talking about a system which would become a bureaucratic nightmare and the last straw for very many younger homeowners. If the current version of the yuppies in Toronto haven't found a reason to take to the streets with torches and pitchforks to rail against the Liberal government before then they would certainly have one then.

I presume the backroom boys whose job it is to advice Trudeau on how to keep the party in power are putting paid to this particular good idea fairy.

🍻

I tell ya, throw a BMW, a mocha frappe whatever and some lululemon's at a doctors/lawyers/professors wife and you have all the making of new housewives reality show for Halifax most places.

The stupidity of this concept just boggles the mind.
. . .
Even if all we are talking about is taxing a house on the FMV above $1,000,000 million . . .

Other than a propensity of some to assign all sorts of chicanery to the current federal government, what kicked off this claim? While there was mention in the Liberal Party platform (2021 election) of some potential changes to taxation of capital gains accrued from the sale of residential property and bans/taxation related to foreign/offshore/non-citizen ownership of unused/underused residential property, I've yet to find any substantive suggestion that the Trudeau government has considered taxing homes on "fair market value".

However, it is a bugbear that was raised by the CPC leader in last year's election debate (and the election previous), though was answered.

Most of the (half-hearted) support for some form of "capital gains" taxation on principal residences seems to come from individuals like Evan Sidall, former CEO of the CMHC, who characterized that for politicians to adopt such a position it would be ". . . political suicide".

The CBC published an article by an academic (recommending such a tax) that ran prominently on the website for a couple of days, which prompted people to start asking where the politicians and parties stand.

My aunt and uncle, long time residents of Squamish since ‘79 ( when it literally was a one horse, or rather one light town) just moved to Sechelt. Squamish just lost it’s “charm”.

I have no idea what you're talking about. Oh wait, what's this?

Treasured Smoke Bluffs Play Park Little Library torched​

Neighbourhood asking why, but also ready to rally after third act of vandalism.

BONOKOSKI: Trudeau Liberals will surely tax your home’s capital gains

Toronto Sun – 17 Jan 22

It was In the late summer of 2019 when I broke the story of then-Liberal MP Adam Vaughan sniffing out the idea of taxing the capital gains earned when you sell your home. He vehemently denied it, of course, although he finally had to admit the idea came from a blue-skying of possible new policies.

Strangely, anyone who sold their home that year was questioned on their income tax as to how much they paid for their home, plus the year, as well as how much they sold it for.

Face it, when the CRA suddenly wants these details about the largest investment most Canadians will ever make, one’s stomach tends to roll over, and the sphincter muscle tends to tighten.

Soon the Conservatives were tweeting out their concerns:

“@Justin Trudeau and @TOAdamVaughan have a secret plan to tax the sale of your home at 50%,” said the Conservative Party’s tweet. “This is Trudeau’s secret agenda: tax hikes to pay for his massive deficits. You work hard, you increase the value of your home, and the Liberals take 50%. How is that fair? #NotAsAdvertised.”

Now, two years later, it’s closer to being a reality. Early last week, the Conservatives called on the Trudeau Liberals to stop funding home tax studies and reject a proposal before cabinet to tax the capital gains on homes. The government had funded a study by the group “Generation Squeeze” to look into housing policy in Canada. In the study, it makes the policy proposal of taxing homes worth over $1 million, which is virtually every house in Vancouver and Toronto, and many in Ottawa.

It will be the tax grab of all tax grabs.

”This proposed new tax will push the dream of homeownership even further away from Canadians and take more than $5 billion from homeowners, forcing them to pay tens of thousands of dollars when they sell,” warned the Conservatives.

“This is devastating news for Canadian homeowners in skyrocketing real estate markets like in Victoria, Vancouver and the Lower Mainland, Toronto, and Oakville where the average home price is over $1 million. “The simple fact,” said the Conservatives, “is that this new tax would affect over 20% of homeowners in British Columbia alone and more than one in ten homeowners in Ontario. “Canadians work hard to save and invest in their homes and their futures,” the press release continued. “And they expect their government to work equally as hard to find solutions to the problems they face, and to not add to them.”

For many small business owners and the self-employed, the capital gains on the homes is used as collateral for loans for their businesses and, for many, it is their old-age security plan since they have no company pension plan kicking in at age 65. The capital gains on their homes, untaxed for the moment, was akin to a financial security blanket. Now it is about to be ripped from under them.

Once capital gains taxes are in place, they present their own problems. In the United States, for example, the new budget agreement commits President Joe Biden and Congress to cut capital gains taxes. That’s unfortunate, say critics. Says the think tank Brookings: “The leading plans — lowering the top capital gains rate from 28% to 20% or less and indexing capital gains for inflation — would spur tax shelters, generate little new saving, give a windfall to the wealthy, and make long-term budget problems even worse.”

This sound familiar, of course .Either way, the elites always win, which is one reason they wanted Justin Trudeau elected prime minister

The tax return question was added to help identify flippers.

They built a bike lane on my street (with a 22 degree hill) taking out 160 parking spots that got used everyday, on average in non winter months 57 people use it every month going by collected data.

Our streets are too steep and winding for a bike lane. It's 40 feet down to the ponds or river. Once you get to the lake there is a great level paved bike path.

As a pedestrian, they are challenging enough. As a driver, on a day like yesterday - fuhgeddaboudit. :)

It was an independent village until 1967, and thanks to the local ratepayers association, not much has changed since then. Only single, detached housing is permitted by the zoning law.

>Treasured Smoke Bluffs Play Park Little Library torched​

Neighbourhood asking why, but also ready to rally after third act of vandalism.

What is wrong with some people?

Our streets are too steep and winding for a bike lane. It's 40 feet down to the ponds or river. Once you get to the lake there is a great level paved bike path.

As a pedestrian, they are challenging enough. As a driver, on a day like yesterday - fuhgeddaboudit. :)

It was an independent village until 1967, and thanks to the local ratepayers association, not much has changed since then. Only single, detached housing is permitted by the zoning law.

>Treasured Smoke Bluffs Play Park Little Library torched​

What is wrong with some people?
I imagine it's also a community where the average person thinks the government should do something to make housing more affordable, so long as it's not in my back yard.

Those sorts of zoning laws are exactly why people are moving to places like Coburg, or Colborne despite working in Toronto.

Edit: That's not a swipe at you, just at the policies that have lead us to the position we are in.

Meanwhile in BC, not good at all. People are shocked that my wife and i don't have data on our phones, it's the monthly charges that add up that will kill you.

Back