• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

These are the smaller communities Canadians are moving to

Working down at the Vancouver Drydock Shipyard, the median age of workers is roughly around 55. The newer Seaspan shipyard is doing better, but there is a looming shortage of skilled trades workers.

I attended a presentation by their CEO, and most of the audience were from post-secondary institutions in BC.

He said his office 'looked like UN headquarters' because there were few Canadians qualified enough to fill the roles there.

He challenged BC post-secondary institutions to focus on pumping out graduates with the qualifications that he needed to hire them versus, you know, history degrees (like mine) etc ;)

But the post-secondary institutions would need instructors and courses to teach that stuff and the people who do that stuff are not woke enough and generally are foreigners who don't think correctly.

I am already seeing the domestic kids working for immigrant managers.

Kids born in Canada and even those who immigrated very young (< 4 yrs) are essentially "domestic kids". Don't be misled by skin colour.

Kids born in Canada and even those who immigrated very young (< 4 yrs) are essentially "domestic kids". Don't be misled by skin colour.
Sort of. That generation bridges the gap - they have the English and local cultural knowledge of a "domestic kid", but more often than not the cultural influence of a stereotypical "immigrant".

It's almost like a Jekyll/Hyde thing - what they are like to the outside world can be very different to what they are like to their family.

Ask me how I know.

Back