• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The (US) Navy Runs Out of Pants for Its Working Uniform – Won't Get More Until October

Last edited:
Speaking of Marines, they (the USMC) just got enough uniforms recently. Similar issue led to 2 years of shortages.

I am starting to suspect that the west, perhaps the world, is broke (as in busted, skint, flat). A lot of printed money and a lot of debt out there. Is that contributing to people unwilling to take on contracts?

Ancient military equipment being used in smaller and smaller numbers because new designs are too few, too expensive and too slow to reach market?

Is state currency losing its allure? Are governments not good bets any more?

I am starting to suspect that the west, perhaps the world, is broke (as in busted, skint, flat). A lot of printed money and a lot of debt out there. Is that contributing to people unwilling to take on contracts?

Ancient military equipment being used in smaller and smaller numbers because new designs are too few, too expensive and too slow to reach market?

I’m going to assume that in as per standard military procurement, someone messed up the contract.

"People aren't making pants anymore because they don't trust the US government to pay its debts" seems like a massive assumption compared to "the US also suffers from Byzantine procurement policies".

True.

But there seems ti be an awful lot of people messing up on a lot of contracts all over the world.

I’m going to assume that in as per standard military procurement, someone messed up the contract.
Outside possibility: the trousers are in some way rubbish (blow out at the crotch, e.g.) and have exceeded expected replacement volumes.

Outside possibility: the trousers are in some way rubbish (blow out at the crotch, e.g.) and have exceeded expected replacement volumes.
I don’t know how the US military procures their uniforms (as in contracting, not the individual person), but it’s big enough that I’m sure there are many, many contractors.

Not sure about the USMC and USN, but the US Army and Air Force (and Space Force) I’ve seen different versions of the same combat uniform worn - sort of like if there was 2-3 versions of TW CADPAT. Most changes are whether there are chest pockets, what type they are (zipper or Velcro flap), overall uniform cut, etc.

But there seems ti be an awful lot of people messing up on a lot of contracts all over the world.
I would speculate contract requirements, terms and conditions have become more elaborate, complex and difficult to meet.

Here is an oversimplified version: the old contract said to produce trousers based on existing specifications for trousers.

The new contract says to produce trousers based on existing specifications for trousers AND:
  • Demonstrate no forced labour used in production.
  • Natural fibres are ethically sourced and renewable.
  • Quality management system for prime and sub-contractors to meet some standard (e.g. ISO 9001).
  • Company to demonstrate commitment to veteran / visible minority suppliers.
  • All shipping / transport to be carbon neutral.
  • The procurement agency will audit all the above and production shall cease until any non-conformities identified are rectified to the satisfaction of the procurement agency.

I just made that up (obviously) but that is how contract requirements grow and contracts get more expensive and slower to deliver.

My two cents.

Back