• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The Forces or Films?

Alex1692

Inactive
Reaction score
Hello, everybody.

I am new to the board, and I am currently in high school. I am very interested in joining the reserves. However, I wish to persue a career in film making as well. My mother says that for every year that my education is subsidized, I owe the Army 3 or 4 years of service, and that I won't have time for it. Is this true?
Also, will the Army pay for my education?

Thanks,
Alex

Hi There,

You should go to the CF recruiting website and start doing some reading. There are subsidization programs (ROTP is one, I believe).
You can also be in the reserves while going through University which is a nice option.

Either way, you should read through all the info first.

Pieman

Here's the link:

http://www.recruiting.forces.gc.ca/engraph/home/index_e.aspx?bhcp=1

Alex1692 said:
My mother says that for every year that my education is subsidized, I owe the Army 3 or 4 years of service, and that I won't have time for it. Is this true?

If your mom is a Recruiter, than it may be a credible source.

If you want to go thru the Regular Force, and commit to serving after you complete your degree, then the CF MAY subsidize your undergraduate studies.

Question 1.  Is this your only reason to want to serve?
Question 2.  Is this your BIGGEST reason to want to serve?
Question 3.  If the answer to 1 or 2 is Yes, you DO realize that serving in this day and age is involving things called deployments, the Taliban, and living in places where you get dirty, and people shoot at you and blow the crap out of you on the road?

Not being a smart ass, just wondering your the motivation and ambitions...follow me?

Start off with the Reserves (which won't get your degree paid for, if you are thinking university) and get a taste for the military lifestyle (because it is a lifestyle to many on this forums, if not all.)  Most people find out very quickly (like when they have to get up for PT a 0500 and its -25 out or something like that).  On the Recruiting site, don't forget to click on the line "Profession of Arms".

What occupation/trade would you be considering doing in either the Reserve or Regular force if I may ask?

Mud

I took film production in college, and now I'm going into the air force as an aircraft systems tech.  Never thought I'd see the day, hehe. 

Would you be wanting to take a college or university course?

Alex1692 said:
Hello, everybody.

I am new to the board, and I am currently in high school. I am very interested in joining the reserves. However, I wish to persue a career in film making as well. My mother says that for every year that my education is subsidized, I owe the Army 3 or 4 years of service, and that I won't have time for it. Is this true?

Thanks,
Alex

If you join the reserves you may eligible for up to two thousand dollars per year for your post-secondary education.

My mother says that for every year that my education is subsidized, I owe the Army 3 or 4 years of service, and that I won't have time for it.  No but do take your mother to the CFRC/D so that she doesn't pass this on to someone else.  If you were to join the Reg F and have your education subsidized (not for film making) for four years you then would have approximately fives of obligatory service.

Back