• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The Depression / Anti Depressants Merged Thread

Masonan96 said:
So I recently applied to the CAF, I scored very high on my CFAT, Personality Test and do very well in school (high school U level courses), also have a job for last 2 years... great references and think my application was pretty bulletproof. But I have hypothyroidism, which if untreated can lead to depression. I do take medication for it and have been since I was a kid, but when I was young doctors thought I was depressed because I was just being diagnosed at the time... but on my medical referral from my doctor she stated that I had suffered from depression but with proper usage of my thyroid medication it went away and continued usage of the medication will keep me healthy and will have no depression... should I hold my breath for acceptance for CAF or do I not stand a chance now. Going for Weapons Engineering Technician if its of any interest. Thanks

I read the second post on the first page of this thread. That might be the answer you're looking for. Good Luck.

luttrellfan said:
I read the second post on the first page of this thread. That might be the answer you're looking for. Good Luck.

And I'd say, the only way to know if you'll get in or not is to apply.

And since he's already applied, I'm going to say "watch and shoot"...just don't hold your breath, since your brain won't appreciate you  ;D.

MM

I have self-inflicted scars and am currently in the process of applying for the reserves is this something i should be concerned about?

alidibian said:
I have self-inflicted scars and am currently in the process of applying for the reserves is this something i should be concerned about?

You may find this discussion of interest,

Joining with Self-Inflicted Scars?
http://army.ca/forums/threads/106208.0

As always, best to contact Recruiting.

Hi all, I've applied to the reserves as a musician. I have completed my audition/fitness/aptitude/interview and medical tests. The only hiccup I have had so far was that I have used anti depressants in the past (a SSRI called Pristiq I believe it is a newer second generation drug). The medical team required me to get a paper filled out from my doctor regarding details of my diagnosis and treatment.
I have been off them for 8-9 months, and my doctor believes (and so do I) that my ability to deal with stress is very good. The main reason for my depression was a poor performance in school and lack of direction in life mixed with a bad family situation and break up which built up because I went many months without doing anything about it. Then I finally got smart and got some help. Along with my medication I saw a therapist for 4 sessions who helped me work on strategies to manage this build of stress. Since then I have been doing very well in school, improved as a musician and am overall fairly healthy. My doctor says my risk of recurrence is very low and I have no need for any more check ups. The letter has been dropped off at recruiting already and all I can do now is wait.
Having said all of this, do you think that my application will be okay and I should expect to be sworn in in maybe a few more weeks? Or is history of antidepressant use a big problem? I don't really know how to feel about which way things could go from here.

You will have to be patient. Nobody here can tell you.

Good luck, though.

Thanks,

Just curious, does anyone know how long it usually takes to hear back from them, good or bad news? The envelope was dropped off at the local recruiting center but at the medical exam they told me they send it to Ottawa for approval (not sure if any of it is electronic or by phone call etc.).

Also does your trade get factored into their decision, I feel it would be more acceptable for a musician as opposed to infantry based on the nature of the work each trade does. From what I've read they do it on a case by case basis.

Then again I know nothing of the process that they go through to see if someone is fit to serve.

As mentioned a number of weeks/months/years back, there are three piles that end up in Ottawa - Recommend immediate enrollment, Recommend no friggin way and Recommend on the fence - the on the fence pile is actually quite a high pile, so can take some time to go through.  Usually you're looking at 4-8 weeks, depending on the current workload. 

MM

patrick13 said:
I feel it would be more acceptable for a musician as opposed to infantry based on the nature of the work each trade does.

Everybody has to meet Universality of Service requirements.

medicineman said:
As mentioned a number of weeks/months/years back, there are three piles that end up in Ottawa - Recommend immediate enrollment, Recommend no friggin way and Recommend on the fence - the on the fence pile is actually quite a high pile, so can take some time to go through.  Usually you're looking at 4-8 weeks, depending on the current workload. 

MM

thanks! interesting info. So the recruiting center makes that decision (one of the 3 categories) and then sends it to Ottawa for approval, or the recruiting center just forwards my medical info from my doctor to Ottawa? So technically I am sitting in one of those piles I guess. Coming up to the 5-6 week mark so hopefully I will get some news soon.

patrick13 said:
thanks! interesting info. So the recruiting center makes that decision (one of the 3 categories) and then sends it to Ottawa for approval, or the recruiting center just forwards my medical info from my doctor to Ottawa? So technically I am sitting in one of those piles I guess. Coming up to the 5-6 week mark so hopefully I will get some news soon.

NO, your Recruiting Centre only makes a "recommendation".  After that, your medical information is forwarded to the RMO in Ottawa who will make the "decision".  Turn around time, 6-10 weeks.

Okay thank you, I emailed my recruiting center and the medical staff said that they sent the letter to Ottawa and are "awaiting approbation" not to read into their wording too much but hopefully they gave me a good recommendation :p Thank you all for the information, I'll let you know the outcome when I hear from Ottawa.

Hi, I know this (or similar questions) has been asked repeatedly, but I did not see a response by a recruiter: am I immediately disqualified because of a history of post-partum depression and/or current use of an anti-depressant? Most of what I have read indicates that applications were denied for both reasons; past history or not being off medication for st least 1 year. Could I get input from a recruiter please?
Thanks in advance

I presume that you have read the "ADHD, ADD, and why we can't get in rants......" thread at http://army.ca/forums/threads/22352/post-1424396/topicseen.html#new. People with recruiting and medical backgrounds have posted therein already, many times, and the responses do not change. Do not expect any different response to your question here.

Good day,

During the application process, our recruiting medical personnel will assess your unique medical situation. A complete medical examination is necessary when assessing medical fitness for the Canadian Armed Forces. At this time, the Forces will be able to determine if any existing medical conditions would preclude your from joining.  This is also important when restrictions may limit the career choices being considered.

If you have specific medical questions you should contact the recruiting detachment nearest you and ask to speak with a member of the medical staff directly.

Best Regards,
Sgt Laen

Saw this today in Ask a CAF Recruiter. Adding here for future reference,

Anti depressant disqualification?
http://milnet.ca/forums/threads/122637.0/topicseen.html
"...am I immediately disqualified because of a history of post-partum depression and/or current use of an anti-depressant?"

Cougarrrr said:
Could I get input from a recruiter please?
Thanks in advance

CAF Recruiters are strictly forbidden from answering any type of "Medical" related question.  The only people qualified to answer this, are the CAF Medical Professionals at your local Recruiting Detachment and even if they were here online, they too wouldn't answer your question(s).  You must first be assessed by them, after which, you will have your answer and not before.

Hence the reason why, no "Recruiter" has responded to any of these types of questions.  What Sgt Laen has posted, is the "best" and only answer you'll get.

Figured I would post this here, as I spent a decent amount of time searching this thread and others for information.  Hoping maybe my experience might help some other people out who are in the same boat. 
I Applied to the CF on June 10'th, and was called in for my Trait Descriptive Test on June 17'th.  That seemed to go well, and was told my application had been selected for further processing.  Received a call on June 24'th to book my medical and interview.  The medical is scheduled for Tuesday, July 5'th.  Like many others in this thread I have a small past with minor depression.  Was diagnosed by my G.P. in 2011.  Was prescribed 10mg of Cipralex, and took that regularly until May/June of last year.  Never saw a psychiatrist or counsellor for said depression.  Just did things to improve my quality of life.  Achieved my high school diploma, got out of a toxic relationship, worked full time, became a regular gym member etc.  Hoping that this past prescription does not DQ me from enrolment, but based on this thread and others I have read I may run into some issues.  Guess I will wait and see and on Tuesday find out.  I'm hoping the interview with the Med Tech illustrates that it's behind me, and I have taken many steps to improve my life.  Will keep anyone who's reading this updated and let you know how it goes.  Hoping I get to join this nice club you guys and girls have!

Hi, everyone. This is my first post here, and I'm only posting because I haven't been able to find an answer (or any input at all). I understand that no one but the medical staff reviewing my application can give me a completely accurate answer. Here's my situation; I was sent from my medical exam with a form for my doctor to fill out regarding depression. A few years back, I was forced by my parents to see a pediatrician to see what was going on with me because I wasn't doing well in school. Long story short, I don't believe I was ever officially diagnosed with depression, but the pediatrician asked if I wanted to go on meds and speak to a therapist, which I declined. I knew what I was going through was just a phase, and it only affected me for a year or two. The problem is that this pediatrician came to the conclusion that I was suffering from major depression, and he made it sound a lot more serious than it ever was. When I spoke to my doctor, I told him that i wasn't accurately assessed, and that i haven't been suffering from depression pretty much since I saw the pediatrician. If my doctor says I'm fine, how likely is it that I can still join? Should I really even be worried about it? It would be one thing if I was taking medication, and was still depressed, but I'm just not sure what to think right now. Any help is appreciated, but re-directing me to a page I've already seen that didn't have my answer won't help.

Thanks, Eric

Back