• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Suez Canal blocked by EVERGIVEN

In most organizations, there is always a 2 I/C, to take over in the event that the commander "makes a poor decision".
That would be entertaining.
CO: "We're doing a left flanking."
2 I/C: "I think that's a bad call boss; it's OK, I'll take over here" 🍿

Not related but a cool video of a giant taker hitting a wave and the bow snapping.

Lumber sort of beat me to it. The Arvin Moment was not a "giant" nor a tanker. She was a smallish coastal bulk carrier, 46 years old at the time (anybody spots a problem with age here ... or in the Canadian Navy ;)) And she was at anchor in a river estuary when this occurred, which explains the very short period of the waves. This short period, not the size of the waves which were overall not that big, is what broke her back.

I just watched an interesting video on CBC with the guy who led the recovery of the Costa Concordia and he feels dredging is the key. They apparently have as many dredgers as the space will allows and have sent down AUVs to survey the (now disrupted) canal profile and ship's hull. This and possibly off-loading fuel and ballast. If they don't do it right, they could do more damage. Apparently there are only a handful of ports in the world that can handle ships of this size so there is no crane afloat that could be brought into offload.

He feels this won't be last, and there are even bigger ships coming online in the next few years.

Hate to burst your bubble, but that's not a giant tanker. That's a relatively small, very narrow, and very shallow river barge that got stuck just outside its "river" in the black sea during some really bad weather. Actually it's not even thta bad weather, just really bad relative to a typical river, and these things are not designed for this kind of weather.

Hey now, a 375 foot ship is giant to someone who's never sailed 😀

But it's not the super tanker I originally thought.

In most organizations, there is always a 2 I/C, to take over in the event that the commander "makes a poor decision". Prior planning and fail safe options make for a stable plan.
That would be entertaining.
CO: "We're doing a left flanking."
2 I/C: "I think that's a bad call boss; it's OK, I'll take over here" 🍿

Sounds like it would make a good movie.

And it's off.

Successful Refloating of EVER GIVEN​

29 March 2021

Admiral Osama Rabie, Chairman and Managing Director of the Suez Canal Authority (SCA), has announced today, Monday 29th March, 2021, that the Panamanian container ship has been successfully refloated. This was the result of successful push and tow maneuvers which led to the restoration of 80% of the vessel’s direction; with the stern 102 m. away from the bank of the Canal now instead of 4 m. prior to the refloating.

Maneuvers are set to be resumed once more during high tide at 11:30 a.m.; as it shall reach 2 m., allowing for the full restoration of the vessel’s direction so it is positioned in the middle of the navigable waterway.
His Excellency, Admiral Rabie, would like to reassure the international navigation society as navigation shall be resumed immediately upon the complete restoration of the vessel’s direction and directing it to the Bitter Lakes waiting area for technical inspection.
His Excellency has also commended the efforts of the SCA workers who achieved this heroic feat saying that they have done their patriotic duty impeccably and that in all certainty work will be complete very soon.

Some of you will enjoy this video, goes on about some of the risks, problems and about the salvage industry in general

Shop steward!

The guy driving the Suez Canal excavator says he got by on 3 hours of sleep a night and hasn't been paid his overtime yet​

abdullah abdel gawad ever given suez canal excavator

Abdullah Abdul-Gawad standing at his excavator on March 29. Abdullah Abdel-Gawad/Facebook
  • Abdullah Abdul-Gawad told Insider about helping free the Ever Given ship from the Suez Canal.
  • He said the work was exhausting and he and his colleagues barely slept.
  • He said he's proud of his role in the unusual event but felt he got little official recognition.
  • See more stories on Insider's business page.

When the excavator operator Abdullah Abdul-Gawad learned that there was an emergency at the Suez Canal, he thought it meant he would have no work that day.

Instead the hours ahead — and the next five days and nights — had quite the opposite in store. The Ever Given, a skyscraper-size container ship, became lodged in the banks of the canal on March 23, and Abdul-Gawad's boss needed him urgently.

"We need you to get in a car and come right now because you're the only excavator driver who's close enough," Abdul-Gawad, speaking with Insider via an interpreter, recalled being told.

Describing the scene that faced him at work, Abdul-Gawad told Insider it was "really quite something."

"It was awe-inspiring," he said.

The 28-year-old, who has been operating excavators since university, said he and his colleagues worked 21-hour days, barely sleeping — and still had not received their overtime pay.

Back