• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Stores on an Aircraft Carrier

Top tip: If you forget that you have ginger and just don't use it for a few weeks, it grows just fine on the counter indoors. No pots or soil.

The quality of coffee on the SOA is awful. And I'm a 2 day old, stand your spoon up in it, black coffee guy.

But as I posted above, there is an option.

In the past ships used to load their Annex A in a foreign port with good coffee.
We got around that by just buying some with mess funds; I think we had something like $100-150 a month allocated for the Weirdroom from dues. In Halifax there was a local roastery that we bought from in bulk, and then there was almost always places in foreign ports as well to top up. And people would regularly buy a bag as well to add to the stores.

The MCRs on the 280s had a coffee maker as well by the sink, so 'Sexy coffee Sundays' at sea was also an occasional thing with some kind of flavoured coffee on the hob with about 20 people other than the watchkeepers also hanging around. Was good times.

Hard to grow ? Interested in trying this.

Ordered a root, buried it, let it grow for a year, then year two you dig it up, take as much or as little of the root as you want, rebury the remaining root, and repeat.

I ignored it, mostly - a bit of water when it was dry for a few weeks, but no intervention beyond that.

Haven't tried indoors - it would need a large pot; after two years, the plant gets quite large.

and re: Coffee: you mean you don't buy it green and roast your own ;) ? I've done that a few times - using an air popper for popcorn to roast the beans. House smells heavenly when you're roasting.

and re: Coffee: you mean you don't buy it green and roast your own ;) ? I've done that a few times - using an air popper for popcorn to roast the beans. House smells heavenly when you're roasting.
Taraji P Henson Swag GIF

Back